Jump to content

James Gunn's Suicide Squad - Out now on HBOmax & Theaters


Recommended Posts

Kinda felt like it took Watchmen’s ending. There’s a piece of info in both movies that could lead to chaos if released and the guy trying to release it dies in the process and it doesn’t get out. And a massive weird oceanic animal wreaks havoc on a city. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 43M said:

She is perfect for Amanda Waller.

Only person who would possibly be better is CCH Pounder....if she were 15 or 20 years younger.

Yes to CCH Pounder. She would be perfect for Amanda but Viola is great as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It... it wasn't bad at least. I watched, I laughed, I enjoyed the set pieces. 

I probably won't watch it multiple times, but I liked what I saw. It would be nice if other DCEU stuff kept this light-hearted approach and built their universe in this vein, but I'm certain they won't.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't watched any other DC movie except for falling asleep to the first Wonder Woman on a plane, but I gave this a chance and liked it. 

There was something about the senseless violence and talking shark that hit just right for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, bootsy said:

Yes to CCH Pounder. She would be perfect for Amanda but Viola is great as well.

She was Waller in "Justice League Unlimited" and she was awesome.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Some of my more comic folk/DC purists think this was too much like a Marvel movie. I guess that means it was too fun?

 

I guess, minus the violence, language, penis, etc., I could *kinda* see where they are coming from. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoshstraDaymus said:

I think they mean overall tone.

I know, I was being a little tongue-in-cheek. I do get what they are saying, but that's also because I don't think the formulas for DC and Marvel movies have been THAT far apart regardless. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Some of my more comic folk/DC purists think this was too much like a Marvel movie. I guess that means it was too fun?

King Shark has my heart.

those people are dumb. This definitely stuck to the tone of current DC comic fair. Screw their MU. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently its underperforming in the numbers at the box office and HBO Max.   Not shocking at all.   Haven't seen it, but regardless of how good it MIGHT be, there are three main reasons why Im not shocked overall..

1)  As Ive mentioned, DCs previous failures absolutely have an effect on future films, especially ones that feature a bunch of largely rando characters.   Again....without all the successes that came before it, Guardians of the Galaxy wouldn't have had the same success either.   

2)  Comic movie fatigue.   Its real.   After Endgame, I think alot of people largely checked out.   I know I dont care like I used to.   Doesnt help that alot of the ideas being floated around regarding the future of the MCU dont sound appealing.  I expect Spider-Man to be successful.  Same with Batman on the DC side.   Alot of these lesser known properties are going to struggle.

3)   Many are just sick of Hololywood in general....for numerous reasons like lack of creativity, terrible writing and pushing political and ideological views when most peoppe just want to be entertained.

Again, this isnt a slight against the quality of Suicide Squad, but it wasnt a smart decision to make it 5 years ago and it wasnt smart this time either....but for kinda different reasons.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 43M said:

Apparently its underperforming in the numbers at the box office and HBO Max.   Not shocking at all.   Haven't seen it, but regardless of how good it MIGHT be, there are three main reasons why Im not shocked overall..

1)  As Ive mentioned, DCs previous failures absolutely have an effect on future films, especially ones that feature a bunch of largely rando characters.   Again....without all the successes that came before it, Guardians of the Galaxy wouldn't have had the same success either.   

2)  Comic movie fatigue.   Its real.   After Endgame, I think alot of people largely checked out.   I know I dont care like I used to.   Doesnt help that alot of the ideas being floated around regarding the future of the MCU dont sound appealing.  I expect Spider-Man to be successful.  Same with Batman on the DC side.   Alot of these lesser known properties are going to struggle.

3)   Many are just sick of Hololywood in general....for numerous reasons like lack of creativity, terrible writing and pushing political and ideological views when most peoppe just want to be entertained.

Again, this isnt a slight against the quality of Suicide Squad, but it wasnt a smart decision to make it 5 years ago and it wasnt smart this time either....but for kinda different reasons.

1. With the rapidly rising numbers of COVID, it isn't surprising to me at all. People aren't going to indoor venues like pre-pandemic. Those who do are more likely to be found at bars, clubs, and some other types of venues. But I do agree that the previous failures had an effect.

2. I planned on being done after Endgame. It was a great way to end up two decades of story telling. But Far From Home was better than I expected plus WandaVision and Loki brought me back in. However, I think they will lose a lot of people with the multi-verse. It's something that comic nerds and Marvel diehards will love. But I've talked to some people who just "don't get it" and think it's too complicated or too convoluted. They aren't invested like a lot of us are and don't have the time to do so.

3. Pretty much agree here. Give me something original or at least different. I love the Batman franchise/mythology. But having all these different iterations in such a short period makes me lose interest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

1. With the rapidly rising numbers of COVID, it isn't surprising to me at all. People aren't going to indoor venues like pre-pandemic. Those who do are more likely to be found at bars, clubs, and some other types of venues. But I do agree that the previous failures had an effect.

2. I planned on being done after Endgame. It was a great way to end up two decades of story telling. But Far From Home was better than I expected plus WandaVision and Loki brought me back in. However, I think they will lose a lot of people with the multi-verse. It's something that comic nerds and Marvel diehards will love. But I've talked to some people who just "don't get it" and think it's too complicated or too convoluted. They aren't invested like a lot of us are and don't have the time to do so.

3. Pretty much agree here. Give me something original or at least different. I love the Batman franchise/mythology. But having all these different iterations in such a short period makes me lose interest.

Let me add that I do think comic book films can and will continue to be successful...just not like they were pre Endgame.   

Major characters SHOULD still be successful, but I think there will be alot more misses both critically and financially, especially with some of these characters and properties that arent well known.   The consistency Marvel had was uncanny....but I think its coming to an end.    Their cookie cutter formula has gotten pretty tired, and some of the new stuff IMO wont appeal to enough people to make it as successful as they hope it will be.

DC is a lost cause IMO.    Their reputation is pretty abysmal right now.    Even their occasional good movies will be in trouble.   Their best bet is to kill all future projects....wait a few years, and then start over with people who know and love these characters.   That wont happen though....and even if it did, they would f it up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The real test of comic book movie fatigue (if Covid doesn't shut everything down again) will be how Shang Chi and The Eternals perform for Marvel.  The shows were hits, and they've done a good job continuing the story to the next phase, but are people ready for new properties and characters with the juggernaut that is the MCU backing them up?  That will be a big test.  My twins are MCU die hards (14 years old) and they seem a bit luke warm on Shang Chi, and aren't as sure with The Eternals.  I honestly think I am more excited for those than they are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...