3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

His arm is better than Mullens but that aint saying much. Don't think its better than Jimmy's. Jimmy's is adeqate. Mac is slightly below adequate for my taste. Jimmy can put a little velocity on his intermediate throws when his footwork is on point. Mac's throws are more timing than velocity. Think of Brees these past 3 years. Not alot of velocity but great timing/anticipation to get through tighter windows.

I like this description - "slightly below adequate"!! I really think he would become one of only a few QBs in the league who can't "make all the throws".  Long outs are problematic; tight window throws are problematic; and forget long outs from one hash mark across the field to the other sideline.

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

We most likely made the trade because we were comfortable with Mac as a backup option, but we moved up so we could explore the other options (Fields & Lance) more fully. 

If we just wanted Mac, i think we would have traded up to around 7 or so, trade maybe 2 1st's, and select him. 

That tells me that we saw enough traits & skills in Fields & Lance and WANT them to wow us. Both guys have enough that i'd be happy with either of them. 

I think Shanny & Lynch make a final decision the night before, maybe even the day of the draft. They'll tell all the execs & assistant coaches, then it'll start to leak out. I think Shanny will settle on Lance, but thats my guess 

Yeah. Before the trade I think most people would have thought him a reach at 12. 

6 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Funny, I'm actually stronger on Lance than I was a week ago. Just the whole better in the short game, comes from a more closely related offense, and young and thus more malleable things.

Trust me, I would LOVE to get Lance but I just feel like Shanny may choose the safer route in Fields. This is one time he can have his cake and eat it too. Rarely do you get a prospect with high level potential that is fairly safe...At least compared to Lance. 

Either one though would make me very happy. 

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

I think an argument could be made that Bosa was the best player in the draft - I certainly thought so - and I think our FO was pretty confident that ARI was locked in on Kyler. I don't think there is much of a risk in telling Bosa when we were sitting at 2 as we knew we weren't going to be trading out if he was sitting there. 

People wonder why we might be blowing smoke and the answer could be because we don't want the Jets taking "our guy" right ahead of us.

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Mac. Especially if he's the preferred choice of Mike, who still plays a prominent role on this team without being an actual employee (he has a video hook up where he gets all the data from practices and the like 30 minutes after they happen). 

With Ian, Schefty and Peter King all leaning that direction you can only push back so far. 

Mike being high on him is one of the ost disappointing things I've read. With his experience with Elway I was thinking he'd more in line with the athletic guys with big arms.

11 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Mike being high on him is one of the ost disappointing things I've read. With his experience with Elway I was thinking he'd more in line with the athletic guys with big arms.

On the bright side, it's not like they said he didnt like the others, just that he was a big fan of Mac, which I understand. 

22 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I have a hard time believing Mike would spill the beans about who Kyle likes. Maybe Mike likes him and has some pull with Kyle, or maybe not. I just really don't believe he would go out and announce that he or Kyle were high on Mac if he thought Kyle was eyeing him. 

I still don’t see why people think Mike Shannahan leaked information? Or that anyone leaked information? We have gotten to the point where the media has stated that Mac is our pick so many times that we are now trying to justify it as truth and say there is a leak.

there is no leak, no documentation of Mike Shannahan saying he liked Jones......there is NO information that is linking Jones as the pick other than the media which is going off the same info we are.

I think the Niners know who they want, I think they have known since they made the trade. Fields or Lance....70%-30%

1 minute ago, P_locniners said:

I still don’t see why people think Mike Shannahan leaked information? Or that anyone leaked information? We have gotten to the point where the media has stated that Mac is our pick so many times that we are now trying to justify it as truth and say there is a leak.

there is no leak, no documentation of Mike Shannahan saying he liked Jones......there is NO information that is linking Jones as the pick other than the media which is going off the same info we are.

I think the Niners know who they want, I think they have known since they made the trade. Fields or Lance....70%-30%

I think all this Mike Shanahan stuff came because of Schefters initial perceived certainty that Mac was the pick. From what I understand he wrote a book with MS and people made that connection that Mike was the leak. Schefter has since backed off on his stance, so I don't really buy into that along with the other reasons I mentioned earlier in this thread. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Ian just said Mike loves Mac 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I feel like I'm going to take a nap, wake up refreshed, and choose violence when it comes to the Mac / Justin thing LOL 

Just put your mind back to Sunday night when you were saying "At this point I don't even think Mac is an option" or something to that extent LOL. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just put your mind back to Sunday night when you were saying "At this point I don't even think Mac is an option" or something to that extent LOL. 

It'll all come back full circle multiple more times before draft night I'm sure. I know that's how my brain works. 

• Like 2

All right guys. Thanks for holding down the fort in my time is weakness and need. I'm good now. 

I don't care what the national guys are saying. Still makes no damn sense. 

Fields - 57%

Lance - 39% 

Mac - 3%

Wilson - 1%

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GW21 said:

I have a hard time believing Mike would spill the beans about who Kyle likes. Maybe Mike likes him and has some pull with Kyle, or maybe not. I just really don't believe he would go out and announce that he or Kyle were high on Mac if he thought Kyle was eyeing him. 

Does anyone have a link to when and where Mike said he likes Mac? Looking for a quote with context of how it was said and what it was in response to. I get the impression most/all talks are nothing bits. There's a difference btwn being asked what one thinks of Mac's processing ability vs who is one's favorite QB. Both can be answered "I love Mac..." but within the context of question asked the weight of the answer is completely different. The first is loving that one ability, whereas the second is loving that specific QB. Either way, it can be carried off and passed on as so-and-so loves Mac.