3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

12 minutes ago, the-catch said:

Does anyone have a link to when and where Mike said he likes Mac? Looking for a quote with context of how it was said and what it was in response to. I get the impression most/all talks are nothing bits. There's a difference btwn being asked what one thinks of Mac's processing ability vs who is one's favorite QB. Both can be answered "I love Mac..." but within the context of question asked the weight of the answer is completely different. The first is loving that one ability, whereas the second is loving that specific QB. Either way, it can be carried off and passed on as so-and-so loves Mac. 

As far as I can tell, this is where that came from.. Around the 3 minute mark Ian offhandedly says "For Kyle Shanahan... Mike Shanahan who loves him also". Seems like BS to me 🤷‍♂️

43 minutes ago, adamq said:

As far as I can tell, this is where that came from.. Around the 3 minute mark Ian offhandedly says "For Kyle Shanahan... Mike Shanahan who loves him also". Seems like BS to me 🤷‍♂️

Yep, I take that with a grain of salt, very off the cuff and really not much substance behind it for it to factor into who they would choose

• Like 1

In that video, Rap also said that he's not sure if the Niners have Fields as a top 3 QB in this draft.

Got me thinking. Is anyone legit linking us to Fields? There was a Benjamin Albright tweet about him hearing a lot of buzz about Fields but other than that, its nothing. 

National guys are all Mac, local guys are mostly Lance. The media pushing for Fields are mostly bloggers who WANT it to happen, but haven't heard anything credible from them..unless i'm forgetting something

4 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

In that video, Rap also said that he's not sure if the Niners have Fields as a top 3 QB in this draft.

Got me thinking. Is anyone legit linking us to Fields? There was a Benjamin Albright tweet about him hearing a lot of buzz about Fields but other than that, its nothing. 

National guys are all Mac, local guys are mostly Lance. The media pushing for Fields are mostly bloggers who WANT it to happen, but haven't heard anything credible from them..unless i'm forgetting something

Pretty much nobody is linking us to fields. Some mock drafters and talent evaluator types, but that is mostly based on where we are drafting and who they believe is the best qb available. 

Other than that you mostly hear about how it's not him

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Pretty much nobody is linking us to fields. Some mock drafters and talent evaluator types, but that is mostly based on where we are drafting and who they believe is the best qb available. 

Other than that you mostly hear about how it's not him

Interesting. Even some earlier rumours from Dan Patrick said things like Shanny wanted Jones but the scouts were trying to convince him to take Lance. Michael Lombardi also emphatically stating the Niners won't draft Fields. I know he's a blowhard, but that was a pretty definitive statement. 

I mean i'm not a scout or anything, but Fields looks fine to me. He seems like a perfect mix of Jones (ready to play) & Lance (athletic, big arm)..but what do i know

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Interesting. Even some earlier rumours from Dan Patrick said things like Shanny wanted Jones but the scouts were trying to convince him to take Lance. Michael Lombardi also emphatically stating the Niners won't draft Fields. I know he's a blowhard, but that was a pretty definitive statement. 

I mean i'm not a scout or anything, but Fields looks fine to me. He seems like a perfect mix of Jones (ready to play) & Lance (athletic, big arm)..but what do i know

Most do have him at #3. Hell, I've seen him at #2 more than I've seen him 4 or 5 I'm pretty sure. I did forget that Mike silver said that there is a contingent of NFL people who believe it's fields

If shanny isn't as concerned about the accuracy (Lance did complete 66% of his passes), then he really is the selection that best exemplifies biggest, strongest, fastest and best from the pocket. He moves at a speed that fields just doesn't in the pocket. If that's more valuable than accuracy to shanny, it makes sense. Lance is also potentially the most NFL ready to run an NFL offense mentally.  Crocker has a vid to where he calls him the most pro ready qb lol

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

If shanny isn't as concerned about the accuracy (Lance did complete 66% of his passes), then he really is the selection that best exemplifies biggest, strongest, fastest and best from the pocket. He moves at a speed that fields just doesn't in the pocket. If that's more valuable than accuracy to shanny, it makes sense. Lance is also potentially the most NFL ready to run an NFL offense mentally.  Crocker has a vid to where he calls him the most pro ready qb lol

When I try to analyze the situation, I usually come away thinking its Lance

That is, until another reporter reaffirms that its Jones lol

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

Most do have him at #3. Hell, I've seen him at #2 more than I've seen him 4 or 5 I'm pretty sure. I did forget that Mike silver said that there is a contingent of NFL people who believe it's fields

You know what? Draft this man and start him from day one lol. I'm convinced!!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You know what? Draft this man and start him from day one lol. I'm convinced!!! 

I remember @Forge saying this before we traded up. He already missed a year of football. He needs seasoning. Just start the kid and let him figure it out along the way. 

Kyle got JG ready to play in like 3 weeks after we traded for him. What is the point of having one of the best offensive minds in football if you can't get a QB ready to go with 5 months of prep time? 

We can/will win a lot of games with a rookie QB. We do have a 4th place schedule this year (expanded season makes this an even bigger advantage than before). 

I prefer fields just because I absolutely LOVE the accuracy, especially on his deep ball, but Lance would be a stud here and I would be pumped 

Rookie QB who can hit the deep part of the field on play action + patented Shanahan run game + veteran defense with studs on all three levels = a damn good football team 

Gaining a pick this year, even if it's a third or something, and saving 50m against next year's cap sounds pretty appealing to me

• Like 1

Thinking about the "Kyle is so arrogant he might actually draft mac jones" argument more thoroughly. 

Wouldnt it be more arrogant to take a guy like fields or lance who some dont view as this "genius" QB and develop them into a very smart and savvy QB? 

Why is taking the "smarter" QB seen as being arrogant? Shouldnt that guy be the easiest to coach? Wouldnt it be more arrogant to take a QB who needs more work? 

We have a timing offense. Fields has not shown consistency with his timing. The OSU offense is different than ours and he was asked to do different things. What he was asked to do, he did very well, but what we will ask him to do will be much different. Wouldnt kyle turning fields into a timing QB be seen as an even greater coaching accomplishment than simply drafting a guy who already does what you need him to do? Wouldnt starting Lance from day 1 and winning ballgames be a bigger accomplishment than doing it with the guy who played in the SEC and just won the national championship? 

I am not saying that this will be the reasoning we use to draft anyone. I am just pointing to the absurdity of that narrative - Kyle is arrogant and that means the 49ers will draft McCorkle Jones. Its a farce. Too many logical leaps that dont pass the smell test. Its taking an endpoint and inventing a narrative that fits just to try and explain something that doesnt make any sense. 

Every time I entertain the idea of drafting Mac, I always spin the logical wheel and circle back to the other QBs. 

I cant take another 8 days of this 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Thinking about the "Kyle is so arrogant he might actually draft mac jones" argument more thoroughly. 

Wouldnt it be more arrogant to take a guy like fields or lance who some dont view as this "genius" QB and develop them into a very smart and savvy QB? 

Why is taking the "smarter" QB seen as being arrogant? Shouldnt that guy be the easiest to coach? Wouldnt it be more arrogant to take a QB who needs more work? 

We have a timing offense. Fields has not shown consistency with his timing. The OSU offense is different than ours and he was asked to do different things. What he was asked to do, he did very well, but what we will ask him to do will be much different. Wouldnt kyle turning fields into a timing QB be seen as an even greater coaching accomplishment than simply drafting a guy who already does what you need him to do? Wouldnt starting Lance from day 1 and winning ballgames be a bigger accomplishment than doing it with the guy who played in the SEC and just won the national championship? 

I am not saying that this will be the reasoning we use to draft anyone. I am just pointing to the absurdity of that narrative - Kyle is arrogant and that means the 49ers will draft McCorkle Jones. Its a farce. Too many logical leaps that dont pass the smell test. Its taking an endpoint and inventing a narrative that fits just to try and explain something that doesnt make any sense. 

Every time I entertain the idea of drafting Mac, I always spin the logical wheel and circle back to the other QBs. 

This is my biggest fear but I give it a one percent chance of happening.

I still think its between Lance, Fields and Kyle Pitts.. Just kidding about Pitts.

Lance makes the most sense due to the little things he can do: under center, already used to complex play calling, playaction offense. Maybe he sold himself to Kyle and Co after he hit that pass rolling to his left... lol

4 hours ago, N4L said:

The only problem that I can see with your narrative is that I have heard all three QBs referred to as super geniuses. 

5 hours ago, N4L said:

Agree. Not buying the Kyle is arrogant argument. Along that reasoning why trade up, why not draft a 3rd rounder and develop him if Kyle really wanted to be arrogant. 

9 hours ago, Forge said:

The accuracy wasn't really a concern within like ten yards of the line of scrimmage. You could run Jimmy G stuff with him. It's just beyond that is an adventure.