3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

I keep seeing the media saying we are having conflict on which qb to pick. This is what I believe. I agree they probably didn't know who they where picking when they traded but i believe by now they know who it'll be. 

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

I think Mac's arm is better then Burrow tbh. 

I asked, but no one wanted to offer an opinion on how his arm compares. So I will. Watching his games, highlights and pro days I'd have a hard time naming more than a handful of starting NFL QBs with a weaker arm than his. Once he's in the league if people are ranking QBs by arm strength my guess is that will easily be in the bottom third of the rankings.

Just now, big9erfan said:

I asked, but no one wanted to offer an opinion on how his arm compares. So I will. Watching his games, highlights and pro days I'd have a hard time naming more than a handful of starting NFL QBs with a weaker arm than his. Once he's in the league if people are ranking QBs by arm strength my guess is that will easily be in the bottom third of the rankings.

I think he has a better arm then Jimmy and Mullens, thats not saying much tho. 

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

Mac has Chad Pennington written all over him... I would have been fine with that at 12, but man will I be disappointed if they use 3 1sts for him

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

I think he has a better arm then Jimmy and Mullens, thats not saying much tho. 

His arm is better than Mullens but that aint saying much. Don't think its better than Jimmy's. Jimmy's is adequate. Mac is slightly below adequate for my taste. Jimmy can put a little velocity on his intermediate throws when his footwork is on point. Mac's throws are more timing than velocity. Think of Brees these past 3 years. Not alot of velocity but great timing/anticipation to get through tighter windows.

15 hours ago, Forge said:

There will never be a lead up to a draft like this one

I'm sure 49ers media, and NFL media in general are loving it. They must be getting tons of traffic. Especially because so much of the fanbase is vehemently against Mac

I know we wouldn't have a 100+ page thread solely discussing if we'd pick Horn, Surtain, or Fairley at 12...

Edited by 49ersfan

3 hours ago, Forge said:

They are definitely reaching. That being said, they told bosa he would be the pick at the combine, so there is prior precedent for such an action, so I at least understand the conspiracy theory this time 😂

It's not an apples to apples comparison though. Bosa was readily seen as the clear best player at his position. I liked Burns more from a 'his ceiling is higher' perspective but Bosa was seen as the 'safe' pick with the linegae to boot. And at a position of need at the time.

Whoever the pick is, its not as clear who the best player is (for most of us) and its not clear case of need. I can't see them telling any QB this year that they are the pick until they've unearthed every stone and watch every guy intently and throughly. So I can't see them telling Fields he's the guy, w/o seeing Lance up close and personal as well. Like @J-ALL-DAY has already pointed out, I think they were comfortable with the options when they traded up but I don't believe they knew who they were taking. And I think deliberations are still taking place@4949 Centennial Blvd at this very moment. 

We most likely made the trade because we were comfortable with Mac as a backup option, but we moved up so we could explore the other options (Fields & Lance) more fully. 

If we just wanted Mac, i think we would have traded up to around 7 or so, trade maybe 2 1st's, and select him. 

That tells me that we saw enough traits & skills in Fields & Lance and WANT them to wow us. Both guys have enough that i'd be happy with either of them. 

I think Shanny & Lynch make a final decision the night before, maybe even the day of the draft. They'll tell all the execs & assistant coaches, then it'll start to leak out. I think Shanny will settle on Lance, but thats my guess 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

It's not an apples to apples comparison though. Bosa was readily seen as the clear best player at his position. I liked Burns more from a 'his ceiling is higher' perspective but Bosa was seen as the 'safe' pick with the linegae to boot. And at a position of need at the time.

Whoever the pick is, its not as clear who the best player is (for most of us) and its not clear case of need. I can't see them telling any QB this year that they are the pick until they've unearthed every stone and watch every guy intently and throughly. So I can't see them telling Fields he's the guy, w/o seeing Lance up close and personal as well. Like @J-ALL-DAY has already pointed out, I think they were comfortable with the options when they traded up but I don't believe they knew who they were taking. And I think deliberations are still taking place@4949 Centennial Blvd at this very moment. 

I think an argument could be made that Bosa was the best player in the draft - I certainly thought so - and I think our FO was pretty confident that ARI was locked in on Kyler. I don't think there is much of a risk in telling Bosa when we were sitting at 2 as we knew we weren't going to be trading out if he was sitting there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

It's not about guys like Brian Burns. A lot of people were bullish on Quinnen Williams, who was widely seen as at least in Bosa's tier. 

9 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Some interesting stuff here, Mike Shanahan loves Mac. Niners used the proday to confirm there #3 guy. Ian is sticking with Mac as the pick unless he sees otherwise proof. 

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Mac. Especially if he's the preferred choice of Mike, who still plays a prominent role on this team without being an actual employee (he has a video hook up where he gets all the data from practices and the like 30 minutes after they happen). 

With Ian, Schefty and Peter King all leaning that direction you can only push back so far. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's not about guys like Brian Burns. A lot of people were bullish on Quinnen Williams, who was widely seen as at least in Bosa's tier. 

And I was one of those ppl. But even I didn't think we were going bypass Bosa to select another DT. No matter how much I liked him. We needed a pass-rusher...that was the consensus. And Bosa was seen as the guy who made the most sense given our need. The least likely to bust out of all the Top 5 guys intially.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Mac. Especially if he's the preferred choice of Mike, who still plays a prominent role on this team without being an actual employee (he has a video hook up where he gets all the data from practices and the like 30 minutes after they happen). 

With Ian, Schefty and Peter King all leaning that direction you can only push back so far. 

God sadly I agree, I will never be happy with Mac. But I've accepted he might be the pick. Are we cursed to never having a elite QB again? 

• Like 2