3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

Wade Phillips

Phillips faced Shanahan’s 49ers as the Los Angeles Rams defensive coordinator from 2017-19 and he’s coached NFL defenses since 1976, including head-coaching stints with Denver, Dallas and Houston.

“Mac Jones is really Garoppolo, you know. He’s not a runner, so I’m sure they’d feel comfortable with that. It’d be similar to what they’ve been doing.

lol

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

The only reason id understand Mac is the cost control but it make since at 12 or even a trade back 15-25 range. It doesn't make sense at 3 and spending 2 1s and a 3rd. 

The thing is, and it's what I try to get through to people on twitter sometimes, is that it only has to make sense to *one* person. If this was a pick by committee, where Shanny / Peters / Waugh / Lynch and whatever scouts they prefer were making the selection, this pick would *never* be Jones. I simply don't believe that you can get a majority there. But it only has to make sense to shanny. That's not unreasonable. Look in this thread. We do have people who think Mac is the best option. I mean, I think it's an overwhelming minority of people en masse, but people who believe that Mac is a top 3 QB in this draft do exist. There's nothing that precludes Shanny from being one of the people. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

The thing is, and it's what I try to get through to people on twitter sometimes, is that it only has to make sense to *one* person. If this was a pick by committee, where Shanny / Peters / Waugh / Lynch and whatever scouts they prefer were making the selection, this pick would *never* be Jones. I simply don't believe that you can get a majority there. But it only has to make sense to shanny. That's not unreasonable. Look in this thread. We do have people who think Mac is the best option. I mean, I think it's an overwhelming minority of people en masse, but people who believe that Mac is a top 3 QB in this draft do exist. There's nothing that precludes Shanny from being one of the people. 

Yeah I understand that, it only takes Shanny to want him. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

This is a suggestion that it is YAC.

We have a bingo!  Thank you!

Leaving aside Justin's slow (135th) delivery and lack of escape dimension (25% of pressure resulting in sacks compared to Mac's 12.3--worst versus best among the top 4 QBs), why is Fields so good at completion% (3rd to Mac's 1st) but so bad in Yards After Catch?  Even if the reason were largely system (and the system not determined by the QB's limitations) why consider someone who doesn't/can't do something over someone whose mastery is so evident, even in the stats?

And that Mac Jones is the primary person responsible for his YAC.

No one mentioned "primary".  The one player (other than the center) who handles the ball on every player is certainly among those responsible for YAC.  Justin's receivers can get open and catch the ball but, again, there are no Yards After Catch. 

As currently constituted, San Francisco is all about YAC.  Great defense, low risk offense.  Shanahan is looking at the same stats as we are, including the one that has Mac's ADoT more than a yard and half longer than Garoppolo's.  

The facts speak for themselves but only in the last ten days have the Talking Heads and mockers begun to listen.  Same as 2018 with Mayfield.

2 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

We have a bingo!  Thank you!

Leaving aside Justin's slow (135th) delivery and lack of escape dimension (25% of pressure resulting in sacks compared to Mac's 12.3--worst versus best among the top 4 QBs), why is Fields so good at completion% (3rd to Mac's 1st) but so bad in Yards After Catch?  Even if the reason were largely system (and the system not determined by the QB's limitations) why consider someone who doesn't/can't do something over someone whose mastery is so evident, even in the stats?

No one mentioned "primary".  The one player (other than the center) who handles the ball on every player is certainly among those responsible for YAC.  Justin's receivers can get open and catch the ball but, again, there are no Yards After Catch. 

As currently constituted, San Francisco is all about YAC.  Great defense, low risk offense.  Shanahan is looking at the same stats as we are, including the one that has Mac's ADoT more than a yard and half longer than Garoppolo's.  

The facts speak for themselves but only in the last ten days have the Talking Heads and mockers begun to listen.  Same as 2018 with Mayfield.

Now do Lance 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

For what I understand Mac finished his Master's already. 

Crap my Alex Smith vibes were happening way before I saw this post. This is just for me personally. Finally got over the Smith pick and everything that came after that. Now I might have to do this all over again.. lol