3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

7 minutes ago, GW21 said:

If I remember right, the Raiders were pissed that we took McGlinchey and they had to settle on Miller. Kind of makes you wish we had lost the coin toss. I do expect MM to be better this year though.

Yep, they wanted McGlinchey just like the Chiefs wanted Paxton Lynch before the Broncos took him. 

Luck plays such a big part of this lol. 

• Like 1

There is something very wrong with this whole draft process if I'm agreeing with Kawakami a lot. His latest article is pretty much about how much Garops changes the pick. This is what he says about Jones:

Basically, as I’ve heard in the last week or so from a few NFL people keenly interested in this situation, the strong assumption is that if Shanahan decides he wants to replace Garoppolo immediately or at least by Week 1 of the 2021 regular season, the pick is almost certainly guaranteed to be Alabama’s Mac Jones — end of story, end of speculation, done deal.

He says that if they want to keep Garops, it's Lance or Fields. His prediction is Fields.

This is an interesting discussion though. Is the media all saying Jones because they are sure Shanny wants Garoppolo gone right now? I'm not sure that is 100% true. They supposedly got Jed's approval to pay Garop and the 3rd overall pick. Why throw that out there if you don't have to. I also question that line of thinking with how this team is built right now. They loaded up in free agency for a run, I don't think they would want to trust a rookie with that, unless that rookie proves to be better than Garops. If they did draft Jones and get rid of Garops on draft weekend, I'd be ticked if I was a vet on the team wanting to win this year.

This is also Shanahan's quote from after the trade, it's up to you if you think he's telling the truth:

When you look at free agency, if it goes the other way around and you do things differently, maybe. But right now, Jimmy, it's going to be hard to find a quarterback that gives us a better chance to win than Jimmy right now, especially even a rookie in the draft.

Just thought i'd bring these points up for discussion. Even if they draft Mac, I hope they keep Garoppolo until they are 100% sure the QB behind them is better. I just want to watch the best football the 49ers can produce...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XScutterX said:

This is an interesting discussion though. Is the media all saying Jones because they are sure Shanny wants Garoppolo gone right now? I'm not sure that is 100% true. They supposedly got Jed's approval to pay Garop and the 3rd overall pick. Why throw that out there if you don't have to. I also question that line of thinking with how this team is built right now. They loaded up in free agency for a run, I don't think they would want to trust a rookie with that, unless that rookie proves to be better than Garops. If they did draft Jones and get rid of Garops on draft weekend, I'd be ticked if I was a vet on the team wanting to win this year.

No, the media is not saying Mac because they think he can play immediately, although to be fair, that was the reasoning used by Chris Simms like 30 minutes after the trade was made and everyone seemed to jump behind him really fast. "You dont go up to #3 for a project, you do it for a guy who is pro ready and to me, that is mac jones". 

I have been the biggest advocate in getting JG's salary off of the books in 2021. Moving him this year as opposed to next offseason saves us 25m against the cap in 2022 due to the roll over. Thats huge. 

In the same breath, we need to take the QB who will be best in years 3-10 and not just year 1. 

If the reasoning for taking Jones over fields is - Jones is ready to play - I will be even more furious that I would be. Tell me he is going to be the best QB of the remaining players. Dont tell me you made a 5-10 year decision based solely on year 1. That would be one of the worst lines of reasoning you could use, which would be saying something considering how absolutely illogical this selection would be. 

If you are an offensive genius, then you should be able to get ANYONE ready to play in 5 months. Its not like McCorkle ran a pro style offense or anything. He was mostly out of the shotgun and they ran a ton of rpos. 

Kyle has been mostly a straight shooter to the media here, but taking Mac, after saying everything he has said, would mean he would lose 100% of his credibility from now on. I wont believe a word of what he says. 

I understand the posturing by saying you want to keep jimmy when really you would prefer to trade him. That makes sense, but man, how can you talk so much about how only the top 5 QBs in the NFL can win games on their own, and then take a qb #3 overall after trading the farm who will undoubtedly NEVER be part of that conversation???

Edited by N4L

A FEW YEARS back, I visited Mike at his spacious home in the Denver suburbs. It was a sunny and warm evening. He was three years removed from his last job in the league. His name had been floated for various jobs -- including with the 49ers -- but by now, it was clear that his career as an NFL head coach was over. What could have been, opportunities missed if not for better luck, went unspoken. He walked me down the hall to his study, where his two Lombardi trophies won with the Broncos were behind glass. They glistened under soft light, monumental triumphs and also relics of a career that somehow seemed unfinished, as if it should have ended on his terms. We walked over to one of his living rooms and spent a few hours laughing and reliving memories of Elway, of Young, of how alive and bold and bulletproof a coach can feel when he has an all-timer under center. But then, conversation turned to one of his few losses -- a close loss to the Patriots, when Belichick had Brady and Shanahan had a journeyman whose flaws he was trying to mask -- and Shanahan's entire demeanor changed. His eyes narrowed and his young-looking face tightened. It was clear that something inside him still burned. He had accomplished everything in his outstanding career except becoming the greatest ever.

"The line in the NFL is this thin," Shanahan said, holding together two fingers.

He looked me in the eye, dead serious.

"This thin."

Inside the 2021 NFL draft's toughest decision - The 49ers' choice at No. 3 (espn.com) - you need espn+ account to read the whole thing, but that is an interesting tidbit 

Im sorry, but I refuse to believe that we are settling on McCorkle Jones when Justin Fields is on the board. Justin fits the elway and steve young mold - the two best QBs Mike Shanahan ever coached. He is a pocket passer who is also a physical specimen. I really cant understand any line of reasoning that leads us to go another direction. 

We made the trade up to #3 because Kyle was tired of working with inferior QBs. I was incredibly frustrated last year watching the all 22 with JG and mullens, I can only imagine how Kyle must have felt. 

ITS JUSTIN FIELDS 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

ITS JUSTIN FIELDS

Or trey lance. But yes. 

Fields - 77%

Lance - 20%

Mac - 2%

Forge hears it's Mac before the pick is made, turns off the draft, breaks his computer and never goes online again, therefore never hearing who the niners drafted and just assumes it is someone else - 1%

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Outside of poor field vision, it's funny how much that sounds like Lance

Would not surprise me if he’s the pick. All this talk about Mac being pro ready and that’s what the appeal is to us sounds like BS to me. John Beck was quoted in one of his interviews this off-season as saying he thought a rookie QB needed a year to learn the offense in the NFL before playing, and I could definitely see Shanny feeling the same way. Lance is more of a project for sure, but I would be surprised, even if we drafted the ‘pro ready’ Mac Jones or Justin Fields, if we had a rookie as our week one starter under center.

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

Or trey lance. But yes. 

Fields - 77%

Lance - 20%

Mac - 2%

Forge hears it's Mac before the pick is made, turns off the draft, breaks his computer and never goes online again, therefore never hearing who the niners drafted and just assumes it is someone else - 1%

This aged well