3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

I would be extremely surprised if any of the rookies, probably including Lawrence are as good as Jimmu this year. I think we got the roster to go deep and don’t think you give up the chance to win a super bowl to give your rookie some experience. If they are gonna move him, I’d say wait til training camp when we know our rookie is better than Jimmy (which i seriously doubt would be the case) and some team’s franchise QB tears their ACL. Then you’ll get whatever price you want. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, gridirongorilla said:

This might be a dumb question, so sorry for asking but does anybody think it's at all possible for Mac Jones to have a more productive career long term then Fields or Lance? Had to ask

I think he is a more accurate Nick Mullens.. so maybe?

• Like 3

BTW, is there any way to change your vote in this poll😂? I voted Lance when this thread was created and now have him last in my ranking. Switched to Mac after watching all 3 and I think I’m the only one with that opinion besides the guy who started posting that is clearly Mac’s mom. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, straighthate said:

BTW, is there any way to change your vote in this poll😂? I voted Lance when this thread was created and now have him last in my ranking. Switched to Mac after watching all 3 and I think I’m the only one with that opinion besides the guy who started posting that is clearly Mac’s mom. 

Not that I'm aware of

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I thought Mahomes was a 3rd/ 4th round project LOL. I'm a little more forgiving of that (I did view Watson as the best QB in that class, however, so will count that as a win and when there was talk of Josh Allen coming out in that draft, my crush on him is well documented on the old board), but optics aren't fair. Unfortunately for him, i think that is something that he will always be locked in with 

What I find way more telling than passing on Mahomes was moving up to take Beathard. Almost no one had him rated even as high as the spot we moved out of. We could have had him there. But we paid extra to get him because Shanny wanted him - after badly misjudging his abilities. I know he can get a lot out of QBs. I've seen that. But so far I have seen nothing to convince me he knows how to evaluate QBs, and at least some evidence that he is not good at it.

3 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

What I find way more telling than passing on Mahomes was moving up to take Beathard. Almost no one had him rated even as high as the spot we moved out of. We could have had him there. But we paid extra to get him because Shanny wanted him - after badly misjudging his abilities. I know he can get a lot out of QBs. I've seen that. But so far I have seen nothing to convince me he knows how to evaluate QBs, and at least some evidence that he is not good at it.

“He processes the game so well. Tough as s—. Got a chance. He reminds me a lot of Kirk Cousins.”

Who is this quote about? If I said Mac Jones, would you be surprised? If I said CJ Beathard would you be surprised? 

1 hour ago, straighthate said:

Looking at it another way, if Shanny takes Lance and Lance is never a starter because he doesn’t grow into his potential, or takes Fields and Fields doesn’t process fast enough or whatever and is Dwayne Haskins all over again, will everyone say well at least Shanny went with the higher potential guy so he gets a pass? Hell no, we’ll all be calling for his head for trading 3 picks and being wrong. So really, who cares what the fans or pundits say. Go get your frickin QB and you better not be wrong. 

No, I'd respect shanny for going all in and failing. He shouldn't deserve to get fired simply because the risk didn't favor us.

Edited by 49ers fan

On Maioccos podcast, Silver said that he "feels comfortable saying" that Jones was the 3rd guy the Niners felt comfortable with making the trade upto 3, with Lawrence/Wilson 1-2. Also says they scouted Lance & Fields hard and its possible they could arrive at a difference place. However, listening to him, it feels like Silver is 99% sure that its gona be Jones. 

11 minutes ago, 49ers fan said:

No, I'd respect shanny for going all in and failing. He shouldn't deserve to get fired simply because the risk didn't favor us.

Really? So if it’s a prospect with a high upside or physical tools, you’d respect him but if it’s because of tools that maybe come out in the interview process or advice of scouts or whatever, that you don’t have access to, you wouldn’t? Makes no sense. Basically you’re saying go with the one the fans want, which is always the fastest, biggest arm, etc, or you can’t miss.