3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

2 hours ago, straighthate said:

BTW, is there any way to change your vote in this poll😂? I voted Lance when this thread was created and now have him last in my ranking. Switched to Mac after watching all 3 and I think I’m the only one with that opinion besides the guy who started posting that is clearly Mac’s mom. 

I thought about creating a new thread for a new poll to see how people are feeling during draft week

@GW21 @Forge thoughts? 

I kinda like this as the mega thread, but a new poll would be cool. Just to see how it changed. 

PS - The third poll option will be to have N4L's eyes get gouged out with a spoon if we draft mac jones. That way its as painful as possible and I dont actually die, thereby making me suffer the next 5+ years with mac jones

If we draft jones, I will suddenly become the biggest Jimmy G fan again. Come on jimmy! Win one so mac jones never sees the field. LOL

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Reading old tweets and reactions of people when the talk was of Daniel Jones going #6 to the Giants LOL. 

You don't even have to change the names its so similar

Yeah we're gonna be that team. Ugh

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

"Pick the trait you want, then pick that guy,” an AFC decision-maker said. “None of them are everything you want.”

This wasn't said in reference to Mac Jones, yet is probably the best reasoning I've seen to draft Mac Jones lol. I wouldn't agree with putting that one trait over everything else if the others are better in more areas, but I get it

Yes, but only factoring after in expected growth, not evaluating them as they stand now. Also if a GM were not bound to go with the coach's choice there would also be a bigger issue of which guy can work in any system in case the current coach is gone. Also, a flexible coach not bound solely and completely to the scheme he's developed should look at the guys based on all of their traits and then imagine how he could re-tool his scheme to get the most out of each of them and then take the guy that gives him the most after the adjusting is done.

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Actual film analysis here ... Somebody mentioned Fields game against Penn St and how he was not perfectly placing the ball. So I went back and watched. Before commenting on what I think I saw let me just say that he hit on over 80% of his passes, for over 300 yards, 4 TDs ad 0 Ints. Whatever deep dive we want to take into each of his passes let's just be clear that any team whose QB has a day like that is very likely to win the game.

End of my shoddy analysis. But I am still firmly in favor of Fields over Jones - even after watching that Penn St that was called out. I might even say especially after watching that game.

What i said isn't that he wasn't accurate. Its that most of his passes where to me either on the wrong shoulder or he could place them more in front of a guy where instead of it being a 5 yard gain it could be a 10 yard or more one. The guy is very accurate throwing the ball but he sometime gets to accurate in hitting guys between the numbers where he needs to hit them to their left or right to make it easier on them to shake the closest defender. 

The first TD if that is Jones throwing it everyone says its underthrown because he lacks the arm. Is it in a place where his receiver can make a play? Yeah because he did but if that defender turns around and looks at the ball like most NFL corners will do its either a INT or an incompletion. The receiver has his man beaten(alltough the sideline is getting close so i think with Fields his arm it should be in front of Olave instead of Olave having to turn(but again the sideline gets close and the corner is really using that to close the angle.   I like Fields more than Jones but its those little things where i think he can make his biggest improvement and where part of the lack of YAC comes from compared to a guy like Jones. I only took the Penn State game because that was the one i was just watching at the time that discussion happened. 

13 minutes ago, N4L said:

I thought about creating a new thread for a new poll to see how people are feeling during draft week

@GW21 @Forge thoughts? 

I kinda like this as the mega thread, but a new poll would be cool. Just to see how it changed. 

PS - The third poll option will be to have N4L's eyes get gouged out with a spoon if we draft mac jones. That way its as painful as possible and I dont actually die, thereby making me suffer the next 5+ years with mac jones

If we draft jones, I will suddenly become the biggest Jimmy G fan again. Come on jimmy! Win one so mac jones never sees the field. LOL

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886el5eoj2564s0rwwrlb

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

What i said isn't that he wasn't accurate. Its that most of his passes where to me either on the wrong shoulder or he could place them more in front of a guy where instead of it being a 5 yard gain it could be a 10 yard or more one. The guy is very accurate throwing the ball but he sometime gets to accurate in hitting guys between the numbers where he needs to hit them to their left or right to make it easier on them to shake the closest defender. 

The first TD if that is Jones throwing it everyone says its underthrown because he lacks the arm. Is it in a place where his receiver can make a play? Yeah because he did but if that defender turns around and looks at the ball like most NFL corners will do its either a INT or an incompletion. The receiver has his man beaten(alltough the sideline is getting close so i think with Fields his arm it should be in front of Olave instead of Olave having to turn(but again the sideline gets close and the corner is really using that to close the angle.   I like Fields more than Jones but its those little things where i think he can make his biggest improvement and where part of the lack of YAC comes from compared to a guy like Jones. I only took the Penn State game because that was the one i was just watching at the time that discussion happened. 

Yeah I knew what you meant. He doesn't always hit the guy in the perfect spot to allow him to catch it at full speed without any loss of momentum. I agree. What I'm saying is that a) that will get better over time and b) I'd trade off 100% consistency on those short throws for being able to make long outs and go routes.

I also know what you mean about that TD catch, but it went darn near 40 yards in the air, hard and fast, with the sideline coming up, and though not perfect was still well positioned and was still caught. We here often talk about wanting a more aggressive QB who take some reasonable shots. Yes, indeed. But that was a perfect example of trusting his receiver to win a 50-50 ball. I don't want Check-Down Charlie. Not saying Jones is that but remember that still from a few pages back with two guys wide open more than 20 yards downfield he took the check down to a guy still in the backfield. Threw is absolutely beautifully. But I call it a bad play.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

"My team is really good, I should take the least talented guy" 

Honestly, it does sound like sometimes people are saying "don't take a guy that is too good" because he won't run the play as called - which sounds like horse doo doo to me.

Just now, big9erfan said:

Yeah I knew what you meant. He doesn't always hit the guy in the perfect spot to allow him to catch it at full speed without any loss of momentum. I agree. What I'm saying is that a) that will get better over time and b) I'd trade off 100% consistency on those short throws for being able to make long outs and go routes.

I also know what you mean about that TD catch, but it went darn near 40 yards in the air, hard and fast, with the sideline coming up, and though not perfect was still well positioned and was still caught. We here often talk about wanting a more aggressive QB who take some reasonable shots. Yes, indeed. But that was a perfect example of trusting his receiver to win a 50-50 ball. I don't want Check-Down Charlie. Not saying Jones is that but remember that still from a few pages back with two guys wide open more than 20 yards downfield he took the check down to a guy still in the backfield. Threw is absolutely beautifully. But I call it a bad play.

Oh no doubt and i think the fact they run a lot of their short stuff as curls and comebacks doesn't help him either. It was just at that time the discussion was around Mac having way more YAC and that was just something i noticed. Its one of those where its a good game which usually for these little things tell me way more than say the games against Northwestern or Indiana where you see the bigger flaws he has.

6 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Honestly, it does sound like sometimes people are saying "don't take a guy that is too good" because he won't run the play as called - which sounds like horse doo doo to me.

I can't wait to hear Kyle's reasoning on picking Mac. 

36 minutes ago, N4L said:

@GW21 @Forge thoughts? 

On another note, it's kind of nuts that a thread started a month ago has 182 pages worth of posts. Madness. 

• Like 2

- Mac Jones looks like an excellent prospect to me

- Understand why some teams have him ranked over Fields/Lance

- Mac seems obsessed with football and constant improvement. This is his defining characteristic 

- Blown away that professionals could rank him as anything but a top of 1st round prospect

- Fan in me desperately wants Fields/Lance despite my high opinion of Mac

- If Fields/Lance are the pick and bust I will not be upset about the move. Opposite is true with Jones which I don’t understand why I feel that way since I believe they’re similar tier prospects

- Matthew Stafford + his contract + Two 1sts + One 3rd > Mac Jones + his contract + Three 1sts + One 3rd

- Three 1sts + One 3rd was likely going to be offered for Deshaun if not for allegations

- If Mac is pick I’ll be more upset that the media knew it was Mac than the pick itself

Shanny is held in such high regard in the Bay but man it's going to start getting shaky for him once he takes Jones lol. A lot of folks will start bringing up him having 3 out of 4 losing seasons and there will be crazy pressure on Jones to perform at a high level early on. Kind of unfair but Shanny is officially on the clock from the local radio stations and fans in general in the Bay. 

1 minute ago, Uncle_Rico said:

- Mac Jones looks like an excellent prospect to me

- Understand why some teams have him ranked over Fields/Lance

- Mac seems obsessed with football and constant improvement. This is his defining characteristic 

- Blown away that professionals could rank him as anything but a top of 1st round prospect

- Fan in me desperately wants Fields/Lance despite my high opinion of Mac

- If Fields/Lance are the pick and bust I will not be upset about the move. Opposite is true with Jones which I don’t understand why I feel that way since I believe they’re similar tier prospects

- Matthew Stafford + his contract + Two 1sts + One 3rd > Mac Jones + his contract + Three 1sts + One 3rd

- Three 1sts + One 3rd was likely going to be offered for Deshaun if not for allegations

- If Mac is pick I’ll be more upset that the media knew it was Mac than the pick itself

Not saying you are wrong, but whats makes you so sure he is obsessed with football and the other top guys aren't? And what was the constant improvement you speak of considering he didn't play at all in his first two years? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Shanny is held in such high regard in the Bay but man it's going to start getting shaky for him once he takes Jones lol. A lot of folks will start bringing up him having 3 out of 4 losing seasons and there will be crazy pressure on Jones to perform at a high level early on. Kind of unfair but Shanny is officially on the clock from the local radio stations and fans in general in the Bay. 

He's being called a racist and there's a petition to stop him from picking Mac. We are beyond starting to get shaky lol

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's being called a racist and there's a petition to stop him from picking Mac. We are beyond starting to get shaky lol

I mean if Fields and/or Lance end up killing it while Jones is just okay? He deserves all the hate coming his way. This year he has no excuse as he practically gets to pick his QB. 

I think the frustration with Crocky and others is just how certain black QBs get this BS stigma and how everyone keeps talking about how smart Jones is… then when describing Lance they make it seem like they are surprised to hear he is very bright himself. 

But yeah, Shanny will have officially lost his pass with the fan base/local media. After that, it is usually damnit time the first time the team struggles. 

• Like 1