3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

Looking at it another way, if Shanny takes Lance and Lance is never a starter because he doesn’t grow into his potential, or takes Fields and Fields doesn’t process fast enough or whatever and is Dwayne Haskins all over again, will everyone say well at least Shanny went with the higher potential guy so he gets a pass? Hell no, we’ll all be calling for his head for trading 3 picks and being wrong. So really, who cares what the fans or pundits say. Go get your frickin QB and you better not be wrong. 

• Like 2

Personally, I think we can be successful with the top 6-7 QBs in this draft. These guys all seem to have traits Kyle can work with. They all have above average intelligence and most seem to have above average character. We traded up because Kyle and John feel one of these guys has something more that makes them feel we're going to be contending for years. But I think that even if we don't hit a homerun with the guy we pick, we'll at the very least hit a solid double. Will that double be enough to get the runner on first home? Let's hope so. May we regret the 3 first rounders? Maybe. But I don't think we'll be here, in 5 years, looking to replace our QB. He might not be all we hoped for, but he'll at least be a competent player, and with Kyle's offensive knowledge, some injury luck, and a few studs on defense, we should be a perennial playoffs team. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Looking at it another way, if Shanny takes Lance and Lance is never a starter because he doesn’t grow into his potential, or takes Fields and Fields doesn’t process fast enough or whatever and is Dwayne Haskins all over again, will everyone say well at least Shanny went with the higher potential guy so he gets a pass? Hell no, we’ll all be calling for his head for trading 3 picks and being wrong. So really, who cares what the fans or pundits say. Go get your frickin QB and you better not be wrong. 

This is interesting because I think it's far more contextualized, but your overarching point is correct. In a vacuum, I would be more forgiving if you banked on traits and upside and ceiling more so than a limited ceiling with a perceived higher floor (should be noted, as I have stated several times, I do not find Mac to be a safe prospect or any more NFL ready than anyone else, which is one of the reasons that I'm heavily anti Mac in this situation). There's a reason you take Solomon Thomas and not Derek Barnett in 2017. 

However, it is a results oriented business first and foremost. You're right that in Shanny's position, it just doesn't matter. Regardless of who he picks, if that person fails, its over for him here. Just kaput. That's it, it's done. He'd be responsible for arguably the worst two picks in 49er history at that point...it's nearly impossible to come back from that. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, straighthate said:

The Mahomes and Watson comments get old go me. No one thought they’d be who they were or pretty much everyone would have moved up to get them well before 10 and 12. Maybe 11 other teams had insight from the interviews that Watson enjoyed rub n tugs a little too much, who knows. Fact is there’s always misses. Joe Montana in the third and Brady in the 6th are the best two QBs in history. So all the talk on Shanny would be the idiot if he misses, everybody misses on the best QBs. He’s gotta take who he thinks will have the best career, biggest impact in his offense, etc, and if he likes ANY of them he better not be wrong because he gave up 3 picks for that player (which is why I didn’t like the trade).

But everyone’s talking in absolutes about Shanny being an idiot for passing on Fields and Lance for Mac and none of them have played a snap, we don’t know what research they’re working through, and we haven’t even made the damn pick yet, or heard why they make that pick when it came down to it. 

I thought Mahomes was a 3rd/ 4th round project LOL. I'm a little more forgiving of that (I did view Watson as the best QB in that class, however, so will count that as a win and when there was talk of Josh Allen coming out in that draft, my crush on him is well documented on the old board), but optics aren't fair. Unfortunately for him, i think that is something that he will always be locked in with 

1 minute ago, gridirongorilla said:

This might be a dumb question, so sorry for asking but does nobody think it's at all possible for Mac Jones to have a more productive career long term then Fields or Lance? Had to ask

It's possible and in the end all of bickering won't matter if Mac is indeed the best QB of the bunch and we have a couple of rings to show for it.

But still to give up the resources for mac, the prospect, Is madness...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gridirongorilla said:

This might be a dumb question, so sorry for asking but does anybody think it's at all possible for Mac Jones to have a more productive career long term then Fields or Lance? Had to ask

Paired with Shanny? I think Mac is the worst out of them 8 times out of 10. Mac with Shanny and the other two with other people who may not be offensive geniuses? Probably more of a split there, but that's not because of Mac. 

Ultimately, I think Mac will be fine. The numbers will probably be pretty, just like they were at times with Jimmy, but also kind of empty with regards to them representing the quality of quarterback play. I do not think he upgrades the quarterback position for this team in comparison to other teams across the league. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Paired with Shanny? I think Mac is the worst out of them 8 times out of 10. Mac with Shanny and the other two with other people who may not be offensive geniuses? Probably more of a split there, but that's not because of Mac. 

Ultimately, I think Mac will be fine. The numbers will probably be pretty, just like they were at times with Jimmy, but also kind of empty with regards to them representing the quality of quarterback play. I do not think he upgrades the quarterback position for this team in comparison to other teams across the league. 

Bracing myself for it Thursday so I won't be as disappointed....