3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Fields is really good but his arm isn't better than Wilson's or Lance's. Not that arm strength is the end all be all as Fields has plenty good of an arm. But his pro day likely won't be as impressive as those two QBs pro days. 

I was saying that these reporters are going to try and save face if the perception is not that we are going with Fields by using something like a pro-day as the event that moved the needle. I agree that Fields probably doesn't have the strongest arm in the draft, but he's got plenty and he's also pretty danged accurate and knows how to put touch on his passes. I expect his workout to be pretty impressive. 

12 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I was saying that these reporters are going to try and save face if the perception is not that we are going with Fields by using something like a pro-day as the event that moved the needle. I agree that Fields probably doesn't have the strongest arm in the draft, but he's got plenty and he's also pretty danged accurate and knows how to put touch on his passes. I expect his workout to be pretty impressive. 

Yep, he's very accurate and his arm is good enough. Lance and Wilson on pure arm talent are just crazy good though. Doesn't mean they will end up being better QBs than him. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

And this could be read as obfuscation/smokescreen as well. It still could be anybody! Wilson could be skipped over by the Jets, Jones could be the choice, Lance or Fields! 

The pick has already been made. Everything they are doing is all for show at this juncture, whether its McCorkle, Fields or Lance. 

And while there is no doubt Fields and Lance have immense upside with their ability to make plays out of the pocket, they also subject themselves to more risks because of their running skills.

My belief is that Shanahan does not want to take on additional risks. He wants a quarterback who executes the plan.

And Shanahan’s plan never calls for the quarterback to bust out of the pocket and run with the ball.

LOL, what does this even mean? Which QB has he had where he could call for plays out of the pocket or run the ball other than RG3? Was he going to call those plays for Schaub or Jimmy or Ryan or Cousins? What the hell is Maiocco even talking about? If he had Allen or Watson, you don't think he calls for plays where they get out of the pocket and make throws on the run or just run with the ball?

The pick may be Jones, but lawd is Maiocco just embarrassing himself lately. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

LOL, what does this even mean? Which QB has he had where he could call for plays out of the pocket or run the ball other than RG3? Was he going to call those plays for Schaub or Jimmy or Ryan or Cousins? What the hell is Maiocco even talking about? If he had Allen or Watson, you don't think he calls for plays where they get out of the pocket and make throws on the run or just run with the ball?

The pick may be Jones, but lawd is Maiocco just embarrassing himself lately. 

I just started reading that article as well and...uh...what? LOL. I hope that after 3+ years of Jimmy, he's not trying to espouse the idea that "running qbs get hurt, derp" as the rationalization for why this pick will be Mac Jones. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I just started reading that article as well and...uh...what? LOL. I hope that after 3+ years of Jimmy, he's not trying to espouse the idea that "running qbs get hurt, derp" as the rationalization for why this pick will be Mac Jones. 

Right? Jimmy keeps getting hurt and he's far from a running QB...Though his ACL injury did come from trying to make a play with his legs. The high ankle sprains though? Nope, in the pocket. How was Bradford continuing to get hurt every year? Allen ran less last year but he is obviously a dual threat and look how durable he's been.

Maiocco is using old school rhetoric here and trying to die on this hill after getting a talk from Simms. But like how do you do a COMPLETE 180 so quickly? It's almost as if he didn't think there was any chance the team would trade up for a QB in the draft so he really never studied the QBs or did much research and then was caught off guard when the trade was made and went off his gut feeling of what Shanahan would want........to only go the other way just because Simms thinks the pick will be Jones. Like come on man, you are literally a GOAT at being a Niners beat writer, do better. 

Ted Nguyen is starting his round of film work on the quarterbacks in the draft. He's releasing one per day this week. Yesterday was Lawrence, today was Fields. I think tomorrow is Wilson then Lance and Mac. 

https://theathletic.com/2480155/2021/03/30/justin-fields-film-analysis-ohio-state-qb-has-things-to-work-on-but-his-upside-is-obvious-and-enticing/?source=emp_shared_article

Obviously the athletic is a paywall. 

59 minutes ago, Forge said:

The pick has already been made. Everything they are doing is all for show at this juncture, whether its McCorkle, Fields or Lance. 

I do believe we are saying the same thing, more or less. 

I just think there is still a remote chance that Wilson is a possibility, though not likely at all. 

And just to stoke the flames: I think it's Mac! 😈

24 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Right? Jimmy keeps getting hurt and he's far from a running QB...Though his ACL injury did come from trying to make a play with his legs. The high ankle sprains though? Nope, in the pocket. How was Bradford continuing to get hurt every year? Allen ran less last year but he is obviously a dual threat and look how durable he's been.

Maiocco is using old school rhetoric here and trying to die on this hill after getting a talk from Simms. But like how do you do a COMPLETE 180 so quickly? It's almost as if he didn't think there was any chance the team would trade up for a QB in the draft so he really never studied the QBs or did much research and then was caught off guard when the trade was made and went off his gut feeling of what Shanahan would want........to only go the other way just because Simms thinks the pick will be Jones. Like come on man, you are literally a GOAT at being a Niners beat writer, do better. 

And you don't mortgage the future for a guy whose ceiling is not a top 5 NFL QB, you do it for an elite talent.

If you draft Mac Jones at 3 and he isn't Tom Brady or Drew Brees you are tarnishing your reputation in the league in an unrecoverable way imo. And if Fields or Lance turn out to be decent at all...  Either way they both are fired, Mac fails and Shanahan is never a head coach again, certainly not with any kind of personnel control. If you draft Fields or Lance and they fail, you don't get painted with the same brush imo, you still probably get fired but you get another chance at it at some point.

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I do believe we are saying the same thing, more or less. 

I just think there is still a remote chance that Wilson is a possibility, though not likely at all. 

And just to stoke the flames: I think it's Mac! 😈

Yeah, I believe we are. But it's fun to really embrace the possibilities of any of the three as well which is why I will totally get into all the talk about who we are probably taking and why from people lol 

47 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mentioned this in the Rams forum oddly enough, but this has been a rough off season for Matt with regards to this if you really think about it. He went from "fields is the target" when the trade happened to all about McCorkle. But this was like a month after he said that he thought Lance would be the guy that Kyle liked most (I believe you and I discussed the play action trait he brought up at the time), and this was after spending the entire off season basically saying the team was still committed to Jimmy LOL. 

Just now, Forge said:

I mentioned this in the Rams forum oddly enough, but this has been a rough off season for Matt with regards to this if you really think about it. He went from "fields is the target" when the trade happened to all about McCorkle. But this was like a month after he said that he thought Lance would be the guy that Kyle liked most (I believe you and I discussed the play action trait he brought up at the time), and this was after spending the entire off season basically saying the team was still committed to Jimmy LOL. 

Not only that, but he didn't think it was a realistic possibility they were going to trade up. He kept saying it didn't make sense and he couldn't see the team giving up high compensation for a rookie QB. 

This is why I am just sticking to my initial gut reaction. No one knows anything so why even pretend to guess? Shanny LITERALLY just said Simms doesn't ask him anything because he knows if Shanny tells him something, he can't report it....And that checks out, because Simms admitted that Shanny told him he LOVED Aiyuk and he was the next Isaac Bruce yet Simms had to intentionally avoid bringing him up. So you really think he told Simms that Jones is the pick so Simms can talk up it for the next month? No way. Again, possible that Jones is the pick but it sure didn't come from Shanny because if it did, Simms would be talking up another QB.