3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

With that post, I meant to say, all of these guys have really good traits, and they all have flaws. It's a matter of deciding which flaws we are okay with/can work on, balanced with the positive traits we're looking for. All of them could be a #3 pick, if we believe enough in them. But who will the staff believe in... there's no way to tell.

I still like Wilson the best, from a football standpoint, but man, does he look like a douchebag.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nice, this team REALLY was trying to keep this on the down low for as long as they could. Lynch attended Wilson's pro day knowing the trade would get finalized on that Friday. 

Hopefully Lance agrees to do it.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

It does matter. Sherman last year is inconsequential. The super bowl team had an all pro richard sherman. You're not trying to replace Sherman from last year, you're replacing an all pro Sherm because that's what we had when we went to the super bowl. 

We still have Jimmy to win now, and I've said it before, I likely keep Jimmy no matter what. 

We had an All Pro Richard Sherman because he had Bosa and Ford forcing the QB to throw wobblers in his general direction 

1 hour ago, Melbourne 9er said:

We had an All Pro Richard Sherman because he had Bosa and Ford forcing the QB to throw wobblers in his general direction 

So any corner is going to be an all pro with Bosa and Ford on the field? that's an interesting take 

9 minutes ago, Melbourne 9er said:

No, he was All Pro because he was that damn good. Even when our pass rush faltered, his play stayed consistent. 

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, he was All Pro because he was that damn good. Even when our pass rush faltered, his play stayed consistent. 

I might remind of getting utterly brutalized by Julio Jones when he was hurt.

Some perspective about drafting a QB in the first round, and mind you, I love Kyle taking his shot at what he sees as his QB. I'm hoping for the best, but also crossing my fingers as I spend way too much time pondering who the pick is and why it will effect the next ten years of our program when in the last ten years across the NFL, it's kind of a crapshoot...

32  Total QB's drafted in the first round, of them...

8 Out of the league/free agent

11 Backups

5 Starter caliber 

6 Starter/Potential Franchise, and the potential is also linked to them being drafted in the last three years.

2 Star/Franchise QB's

First round QB picks in the last ten years.

Star/Franchise QB, Starter/Potential Franchise, Starter, Backup, Out of the league/free agent

2011: CAM NEWTON* (PANTHERS)**, JAKE LOCKER (TITANS), BLAINE GABBERT (JAGUARS), CHRISTIAN PONDER (VIKINGS) 

2012: ANDREW LUCK* (COLTS), ROBERT GRIFFIN III (REDSKINS), RYAN TANNEHILL (DOLPHINS), BRANDON WEEDEN (BROWNS)

2013: EJ MANUEL (BILLS)

2014: BLAKE BORTLES (JAGUARS), JOHNNY MANZIEL (BROWNS), TEDDY BRIDGEWATER (VIKINGS)**

2015: JAMEIS WINSTON (BUCCANEERS), MARCUS MARIOTA (TITANS) 

2016: JARED GOFF (RAMS), CARSON WENTZ (EAGLES), PAXTON LYNCH (BRONCOS)

2017: MITCHELL TRUBISKY (BEARS), PATRICK MAHOMES (CHIEFS), DESHAUN WATSON (TEXANS)

2018:BAKER MAYFIELD (BROWNS), SAM DARNOLD (JETS)**, JOSH ALLEN (BILLS), JOSH ROSEN (CARDINALS), LAMAR JACKSON (RAVENS)

2019: KYLER MURRAY (CARDINALS), DANIEL JONES (GIANTS), DWAYNE HASKINS (WASHINGTON)

2020: JOE BURROW (BENGALS), TUA TAGOVAILOA (DOLPHINS), JUSTIN HERBERT (CHARGERS), JORDAN LOVE (PACKERS)

*Was something better than what he is now

**Will probably be a backup

You all may have other grades/thoughts on QB's but I think this is fairly accurate.

• Like 5

This has been a fun read considering I haven't watched a college game since Steve Young played for BYU.  I haven't even heard these young guys' names until a few hours ago.  So, I'll just say that I hope we hit on whoever we pick.  

The idea to trade up didn’t come out of anywhere. Lynch said initial conversations to move up started in early March. For who, though? Shanahan poured water on the flames that he’s looking for a Kirk Cousins type of QB:

“I think it’s pretty easy to say that, but I also love Kirk. I would have loved to have Kirk until Jimmy came along. If you’re going to draw it up, you’re going to draw up the biggest, fastest, strongest quarterback.”

Shanahan mentioned that he only played a few games with Kirk in Washington before everyone got fired. Essentially, he’s tired of being paired with a QB who he’s barely worked with.

Kyle seemed giddy at the thought of getting his hands on a franchise QB. This is me reading the tea leaves, but a player like Mac Jones doesn’t move the needle like Fields or Trey Lance. He said, “there’s a risk any season you go into without a top-five QB.”

He added, sometimes I say top five, sometimes I say top 10.” That points to more evidence that it could be Fields or Lance, whose ceilings are as high as any QB to come out of the draft during the past couple of seasons. Kyle mentioned Patrick Mahomes and John Elway as the prototypes since they are uber-talented but still found ways to win from the pocket.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/3/29/22357141/49ers-lynch-shanahan-top-five-qb-draft-nfl

Seems like a few of the writers think todays presser pointed to Lance or Fields

Also, Barrows mocked Lance to us earlier today. Has he been reliable with his mocks?

Edited by 49ersfan

35 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/3/29/22357141/49ers-lynch-shanahan-top-five-qb-draft-nfl

Seems like a few of the writers think todays presser pointed to Lance or Fields

Also, Barrows mocked Lance to us earlier today. Has he been reliable with his mocks?

If Barrows is right (I'm also going with Lance), it will just be off an educated guess, nothing more nothing less. 

• Like 1