3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I thought he tweeted something today saying he can't see Mac since Kyle sees what the Rams/Packers have at QB? 

I think that's his opinion. Sorry should have clarified. The way I see it, djs opinion is that Mac doesn't really make sense to do this for. But what he's hearing is it's for Jones going on a post from gold fish

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think that's his opinion. Sorry should have clarified. The way I see it, djs opinion is that Mac doesn't really make sense to do this for. But what he's hearing is it's for Jones going on a post from gold fish

Got it, NFL people can be thinking the move up was for Jones.

Listening to Maiocco's latest podcast and I am just losing my mind how he's acting like he has now fully scouted Fields and is talking about him not able to make anticipatory throws WHEN HE THOUGHT FIELDS WAS THE PICK TWO DAYS AGO! 

From this point on, I will never look at this man the same way. No shame at all lol. 

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Got it, NFL people can be thinking the move up was for Jones.

Listening to Maiocco's latest podcast and I am just losing my mind how he's acting like he has now fully scouted Fields and is talking about him not able to make anticipatory throws WHEN HE THOUGHT FIELDS WAS THE PICK TWO DAYS AGO! 

From this point on, I will never look at this man the same way. No shame at all lol. 

I listened to them both as well and I was floored as well. The emergency pod, his opinion right off the cuff was that it seemed likely for Fields and then the next day, the pod was very pro McCorkle and why the other two didn't make any sense. 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

I listened to them both as well and I was floored as well. The emergency pod, his opinion right off the cuff was that it seemed likely for Fields and then the next day, the pod was very pro McCorkle and why the other two didn't make any sense. 

It's just straight BS to me. Are we to really believe Maiocco watched film of all the QBs in one day and came to those conclusions? When has Maiocco ever been the guy to break down film? I already mentioned he pretty much repeated Simms initial tweet and after hearing Maiocco talk about Fields not being able to make anticipatory throws and how Jones hits his WRs in stride and how he works so well in the pocket, in confirmed all I needed to know...His source in all of this was Simms. Why is Simms lower on Fields? Because he doesn't make anticipatory throws and doesn't diagnose the blitz quickly enough. Maiocco damn near repeated that and Simms also has stated that Jones is the best "on money" passer in the entire draft. Just have to put two and two together here.

Oh yeah, Peter King often times sources Simms as well so no surprise both are leaning toward Jones...Because that's exactly what Simms is putting out there. But there is ZERO chance Shanny talked to Simms beforehand about the trade and is letting him know what way he is leaning towards...And if he did, then Simms wouldn't spill the beans to the rest of the world.

Say what you want about Cohn, but you know he watches films of prospects and comes away with his own opinions...Regardless of how stupid he sounds at times, he puts in time. Maiocco? He didn't do none of that but just repeated what his source (cough cough Simms) told him and made it seem like it was his own opinion. So weak. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

The thing with Simms and a host of others spinning the narrative that we didn't move up this high for a "project" and that it has to be Mac because he's the most pro ready of the lot just doesn't jive for me.

Did we not just see Herbert, who most of these pundits ripped apart pre-draft and said was too inaccurate and too inconsistent, have a stellar rookie year??

Not buying it. Most rookies don't walk into a situation like ours where the team around them is ready to win. They mostly go to teams devoid of talent and comptent offensive coaching. That will not be the case here. Fields can absolutely come in and play extremely well. Shanny is smart enough to dumb down the offense enough and cater to his strengths while he gains experience. The defense around him will be top notch. The run game around him will be above average. Hell, he will probably add another element to the run game that make the play-action even more effective. 

Moving to #3 isn't about being SB contenders just for this year. It's about being SB contenders for the next decade. That's what these guys aren't understanding. This is a move to be competitive for the future, not just this year. 

• Like 4

I will say, the Niners are simultaneously the most smokescreeny yet predictable team at the same time lol. Like, we attend Mahomes pro day to throw people off. Yet most people had us pegged for Solomon Thomas. 

We go to Quinnen Williams pro day & take him to dinner in late March 2019, yet in Feb 2019 at the combine we told Bosa we're taking him if Murray goes #1. Seems to have been a pretty accepted fact that Murray & Bosa were going 1-2

Most people plugged into the Niners had Kinlaw as a viable pick, yet Simms was hiding how much Shanny loved Aiyuk

The Niners insisted until the day of that Staley was their LT, then they trade for Trent & Staley retires right after. Yet most beat writers seemed clued in that we were addressing a OT. 

I really can't handle a month more of this. Back in Dec/Jan i floated that we should do a trade up for a QB ASAP to solidify our position, which is what ultimately happened. Now i hope that the Jags & Jets sign Lawrence/Wilson to contracts so we can freely admit who we're picking/sign our QB & end the suspense

We traded up to 3 to acquire Sam Darnold...I feel it in my bones :D:D:D

I'm surprised by how many people are still very much in on Darnold. I hope the kid turns it around, but man, there's been a lot of bad there. 

• Like 1

Interesting note from Breers article 

San Francisco also got a picture from its scouts of the 2022 draft at the position, and it was bleak in comparison to ’21. That meant not taking one they liked this year would likely mean going into ’22, the final year of Garoppolo’s contract, with far fewer options on the table.

A lot can change in a year of course, but looks like the Niners are not impressed with the body of work of the QB's eligible in the '22 draft 

Just now, 49ersfan said:

Interesting note from Breers article 

A lot can change in a year of course, but looks like the Niners are not impressed with the body of work of the QB's eligible in the '22 draft 

Yeah, the early talk is that the QB class is not good next year. I don't hate the class because any of them could take a big step forward, but you're looking at Howell, Slovis, Rattler...Carson Strong maybe? Any of them could take big steps forward, but they are all kind of meh right now. 

Another note from Breers article - couple of reporters (King, Albright) have linked the Falcons to Lance. Breer says the Dolphins felt QB's are likely going 1-4. Does this mean Lance is going 4th to the Falcons, and thus not an option for us? Or we could take Lance at 3, and Atlanta could trade down from 4 to a QB needy team like the Broncos/Pats?

I swear, every bit of information gives more questions than answers

In doing that, Miami was in a position knowing quarterbacks likely would go 1-2-3-4, which would give the Dolphins the second pick of non-quarterbacks in the draft, while keeping the extra first-rounder for 2023.

30 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Another note from Breers article - couple of reporters (King, Albright) have linked the Falcons to Lance. Breer says the Dolphins felt QB's are likely going 1-4. Does this mean Lance is going 4th to the Falcons, and thus not an option for us? Or we could take Lance at 3, and Atlanta could trade down from 4 to a QB needy team like the Broncos/Pats?

I swear, every bit of information gives more questions than answers

Follow up to this; Breer did a mock draft on March 25 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/29/mmqb-inside-49ers-dolphins-trade-nfl-draft

4) Atlanta Falcons: Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State

The Falcons are another team that’s had its decision-makers’ boots on the ground for all the big quarterback pro days. So let’s make a little history here, and go, quarterbacks 1-2-3-4.

If multiple reporters are linking Lance to the Falcons & the Dolphins feel QB's are going 1-4....does that mean we're not going Lance?