3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

Just now, GW21 said:

I do think he would be good with Shanny and possibly an upgrade over Jimmy, but the potential in a guy like Fields is just so much higher in my eyes. Hopefully it all works out because I really do like our staff and if they blow this pick that will be the end of them. It would be really lame to see Fields crushing it in Carolina or Denver while we were sitting here suffering through mediocrity. 

100%. I actually don't deny that the pairing will work to some extent. But I do not see a guy in McCorkle who will be the best QB in this specific draft class...like < 1%...let alone the best QB in the NFL. I could see Fields and Lance win an MVP during their career. Even if they are never the passers that McCorkle is, that doesn't mean that they aren't as effective.  And like I said...I don't think that the McCorkle floor, in a vacuum, is much better than these guys (everyone's floor takes a considerable bump upward if they get drafted by this team with Shanny, so you sort of have to step outside what actually happens). 

McCorkle is a solid prospect, but to put it in perspective, I view him *very* comparably to how I felt about Derek Carr coming out (though Carr was my #1 qb in that draft and I did like him quite a bit more than most, but I didn't view him as top 3 overall pick type guy) . 

You're seriously replacing Jimmy with Jimmy in this scenario. It's a big upgrade initially due to cost effectiveness, but that's the type of QB you're getting more than likely 

6 minutes ago, N4L said:

2) Pass on Fields, Lance because we are searching for someone who at their absolute best would be Kirk Cousins

To be fair, I don’t think Kirk Cousins is Jones’ ceiling. I think if everything fell in line perfectly, he could turn out to be something at the level of Matt Ryan, but that would mean everything went perfectly and that’s not something I’m counting on. I think @Forge has been saying something along the lines of all of Mac’s potential is based on everything above the shoulders, which I do agree with. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

He might be a upgrade over Jimmy in terms of interception rate. I doubt he'll turn the ball over at the clip Jimmy does. 

But I don't see Mac at the helm of a high-powered offense, outdueling QBs wit better physical tools with just his intellect and savvy alone. I didn't see it with Brees either so there's something to be said about projecting. But Brees wasn't a #3 overall pick either. 

This is a smokescreen at its finest. @Forge over here, beating his head against the wall already, ha

I'm like 85% Fields / Lance (I think I may move this more in the direction of Fields...I still can't get over the idea of drafting someone we have seriously never seen live) and 15% McCorkle. But man, the reasoning for taking him is just rouuuuuuuuuuuuugh for me to listen to. 

Personally, I just love that Sage was like, "SF ain't drafting Mac. Period" lol

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

100%. I actually don't deny that the pairing will work to some extent. But I do not see a guy in McCorkle who will be the best QB in this specific draft class...like < 1%...let alone the best QB in the NFL. I could see Fields and Lance win an MVP during their career. Even if they are never the passers that McCorkle is, that doesn't mean that they aren't as effective.  And like I said...I don't think that the McCorkle floor, in a vacuum, is much better than these guys (everyone's floor takes a considerable bump upward if they get drafted by this team with Shanny, so you sort of have to step outside what actually happens). 

McCorkle is a solid prospect, but to put it in perspective, I view him *very* comparably to how I felt about Derek Carr coming out (though Carr was my #1 qb in that draft and I did like him quite a bit more than most, but I didn't view him as top 3 overall pick type guy) . 

You're seriously replacing Jimmy with Jimmy in this scenario. It's a big upgrade initially due to cost effectiveness, but that's the type of QB you're getting more than likely 

I also liked Carr as the best QB in that draft. I’m certainly not going to be the guy to defend the Mac Jones pick if that is the route they decide to go and I think people will be crapping on this pick until he either leads this team to a Super Bowl or Lynch and Shanny are run out of town. I do agree with @757-NINER though in thinking that this is a smoke screen, although I don’t really see the point in it as the top two picks are pretty much locked in from what it seems.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

To be fair, I don’t think Kirk Cousins is Jones’ ceiling. I think if everything fell in line perfectly, he could turn out to be something at the level of Matt Ryan, but that would mean everything went perfectly and that’s not something I’m counting on. I think @Forge has been saying something along the lines of all of Mac’s potential is based on everything above the shoulders, which I do agree with. 

Correct. I think he's just got to max that out. It's not impossible, but it's really difficult to just bank on everything going through perfectly. I mean, in theory, he could be Drew Brees. Like, that's a thing I could see happen in a crazy universe. Just so unlikely. 

Just now, GW21 said:

I also liked Carr as the best QB in that draft. I’m certainly not going to be the guy to defend the Mac Jones pick if that is the route they decide to go and I think people will be crapping on this pick until he either leads this team to a Super Bowl or Lynch and Shanny are run out of town. I do agree with @757-NINER though in thinking that this is a smoke screen, although I don’t really see the point in it as the top two picks are pretty much locked in from what it seems.

Atlanta is kind of a big lotto piece here. They may be trying to get other teams to spend capital to at least get up to 4. 

Yeah this month is going to suck lol. I already overthink everything and expect the worst. Maybe I’ll go through the five stages of grief before the draft and be pleasantly surprised with Fields actually being the pick. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I'm just mentally preparing myself for Mac & hoping, if we select him, he can become a Matt Ryan/Drew Brees/Kurt Warner type of slinger

I will refuse to believe its Mac until his name is called. Afterwards, I may rethink my life choices, mainly the football team I root for...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Yeah this month is going to suck lol. I already overthink everything and expect the worst. Maybe I’ll go through the five stages of grief before the draft and be pleasantly surprised with Fields actually being the pick. 

One month of this nonsense 

This team is somehow great at both keeping quiet on their intentions AND leaking their intentions at the same time so i can't even confidently say if this is a smokescreen or if people really know what Shanny wants

• Like 1

FWIW it's interesting that Kyle is going out to a pro day. I mean how many pro days has he ever really been to? Shanny doesn't seem to value anything but the tape. It's usually Lynch and Peters who are the guys who are in attendance. And we all know that Lynch in the past has attended pro days it obfuscate our real intentions. I'm dipping into conspiracy theory level here but I wouldn't be surprised if this is just another move to put pressure on the teams that want Mac to trade for Jimmy asap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Geek said:

FWIW it's interesting that Kyle is going out to a pro day. I mean how many pro days has he ever really been to? Shanny doesn't seem to value anything but the tape. It's usually Lynch and Peters who are the guys who are in attendance. And we all know that Lynch in the past has attended pro days it obfuscate our real intentions. I'm dipping into conspiracy theory level here but I wouldn't be surprised if this is just another move to put pressure on the teams that want Mac to trade for Jimmy asap.

I would say it's worth noting that our FO has already made a choice (or very likely) on which QB they're going. They don't make this move without absolute certainty on which QB they rank highest. So I would 100% be taking the free trip to watch Jones and confuse other people more. 

Also low key seems like Shanny has done a great job getting the media to work certain angles to his advantage. 

• Like 3