3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Peter King said Shanny/Lynch will be at Mac Jones pro day on Tuesday and Adam Peters at Justin Fields pro day. First off, how stupid is it that the pro days of two of the top three programs in the country are at the same day? 

I don't know if this means anything but I figured Lynch would be at one pro day and Shanny at the other pro day. 

I thought Mac Jones already had his pro day? I don’t expect it, but I’m going to have a huge fit if we end up taking Jones.

Just now, GW21 said:

I thought Mac Jones already had his pro day? I don’t expect it, but I’m going to have a huge fit if we end up taking Jones.

Alabama is having 2, similar to Clemson. 

I'm moving McCorkle up in the likelihood rankings. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Peter King said Shanny/Lynch will be at Mac Jones pro day on Tuesday and Adam Peters at Justin Fields pro day. First off, how stupid is it that the pro days of two of the top three programs in the country are at the same day? 

I don't know if this means anything but I figured Lynch would be at one pro day and Shanny at the other pro day. 

Alabama had their pro-day already. Either you misheard or Peter King is going senile lol 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Another one charting fields accuracy compared to others

I have personally charted quarterback prospects dating back to the 2016 class. I chart the entirety of a player's final season, as well as a portion of the previous season, which serves as a sort of anchor for any improvement or decline during their final year. Fields' adjusted accuracy (weighted by depth of target) of 83.2% is the best rate I have recorded in those six years. To every level, Fields' accuracy is simply phenomenal.

This is what swung me towards fields over Lance. His repeatable motion means he is extremely accurate. I liked what @JIllgsaid about Aaron Roders yesterday. Its the effortless down field accuracy that is what makes fields ceiling so high. 

If we select McCorkle, I feel like I'm just going to spend the next 6 years regurgitating the same stuff I've been spewing about Jimmy G the last 3. If Kyle cares about any of you, he won't do that. 

It'll be me, trying walk a balance and figure out how many different ways to say "he's fiiiiiiiiiine"  and then explain why I woudln't give him a big second deal or why he's not worth the second contract we end up giving him. 

• Like 2

Just now, Forge said:

Alabama is having 2. 

I was just editing that post lol it was option C - I am misinformed 

Due to the pandemic? I dont think they normally have two, do they? 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm moving McCorkle up in the likelihood rankings. 

Yeah. Gross. 

I dont think I can stomach a month of McCorkle rumors

• Like 1

Here's what I said in the draft forum: 

Wouldn't surprise me if Mac is the pick. Would just be Shanny running amok, which most niners fans do expect most of the time. And McCorkle will be moderately successful too...and then he'll likely have them in a similar situation to the one they are leaving now by the time he needs a second contract. It's the circle of life. 

But man, evolve or die. If you're looking for Kirk Cousins in the top 3, you're doing this wrong. It's okay if your first round pick ends up being cousins, but that sure as hell shouldn't be what you are shooting for. Andy Reid propped up mediocre quarterbacks for nearly 20 years and could never finish the job. Then he took the big swing and hit it, he's been to two super bowls and doesn't look like he's going to slow down. If Kyle's big swing is Mac Jones, I just don't get it, personally, even if I do expect that pairing to be reasonably successful. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Alabama is having 2. 

Is Ohio State having two? 

This could just be they are more comfortable with the other QBs arms and want to see Jones live in person. 

I'm not going off of anything Maiocco is saying, as good and he is. He was wrong all offseason in what was going to happen and had no idea of the trade happening. The only one that likely knows who the team is drafting is Shanahan and possibly Lynch, that's it. 

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Is Ohio State having two? 

This could just be they are more comfortable with the other QBs arms and want to see Jones live in person. 

I'm not going off of anything Maiocco is saying, as good and he is. He was wrong all offseason in what was going to happen and had no idea of the trade happening. The only one that likely knows who the team is drafting is Shanahan and possibly Lynch, that's it. 

No, I don't believe that they are. Alabama had 2. Clemson sort of had 2 (in reality they just had one for TL only and then one for everyone else) 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

If we select McCorkle, I feel like I'm just going to spend the next 6 years regurgitating the same stuff I've been spewing about Jimmy G the last 3. If Kyle cares about any of you, he won't do that. 

It'll be me, trying walk a balance and figure out how many different ways to say "he's fiiiiiiiiiine"  and then explain why I woudln't give him a big second deal or why he's not worth the second contract we end up giving him. 

I do find it odd that we supposedly mad an offer to Houston of multiple firsts for Watson and then we’d just completely flip a switch and draft the most non-Watson QB in the draft. 

• Like 1

I want to start practicing, just in case

"I don't hate McCorkle...he's fiiiiiiiiiine.....he's a competent starting quarterback in the league and the team is capable of winning with him. But the margin is so thin with guys like this and it's not cost effective. How much better off is it having McCorkle at XX dollars than having Player B at YY dollars when we can use that additional money to spend on Players C, D and E?"

Sound good? 

Just now, GW21 said:

I do find it odd that we supposedly mad an offer to Houston of multiple firsts for Watson and then we’d just completely flip a switch and draft the most non-Watson QB in the draft. 

If you want me to be honest, the reasoning of drafting McCorkle actually bothers me more than the idea of actually drafting him. If I hear one more person say, "he's the type of quarterback Kyle likes" and, "he does everything Kyle wants his QB to do" or "he's perfect for that system"

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Mac is the pick. Would just be Shanny running amok, which most niners fans do expect most of the time. And McCorkle will be moderately successful too...and then he'll likely have them in a similar situation to the one they are leaving now by the time he needs a second contract. It's the circle of life. 

But man, evolve or die. If you're looking for Kirk Cousins in the top 3, you're doing this wrong. It's okay if you're first round pick ends up being cousins, but that sure as hell shouldn't be what you are shooting for. Andy Reid propped up mediocre quarterbacks for nearly 20 years and could never finish the job. Then he took the big swing and hit it, he's been to two super bowls and doesn't look like he's going to slow down. If Kyle's big swing is Mac Jones, I just don't get it, personally, even if I do expect that pairing to be reasonably successful. 

Well put. The chiefs example is one that I (and others) have used for several months while advocating for us to pull the trigger and take our shot at QB this year. Everything aligned to make it possible to do so, and it would be a massive disappointment if the ghost of Kirk Cousins will continue to haunt us while we are making this selection.

Seriously - **** Kirk Cousins

1) Pass on Watson, Mahomes - dont even scout QBs because we are so in love with cousins

2) Pass on Fields, Lance because we are searching for someone who at their absolute best would be Kirk Cousins

Just ****ing go trade for goddamn kirk cousins and get it over with already. I am so tired of the narrative - "Kyle is just looking for another kirk cousins". How about Kyle starts looking for Patrick Mahomes?? Why the love affair for this middle tier QB who can never win the big game?? 

Kirk Cousins is basically Kyle's ex GF from HS, where they only broke up because Kyle's dad had to relocate for work. Every girlfriend he ever has after that is just him trying to fill the gapping hole of Kirk Cousins in his heart. He never got to see the relationship through so hes constantly chasing little things that remind him of Kirk. Unfrickinbelievable. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

If you want me to be honest, the reasoning of drafting McCorkle actually bothers me more than the idea of actually drafting him. If I hear one more person say, "he's the type of quarterback Kyle likes" and, "he does everything Kyle wants his QB to do" or "he's perfect for that system"

I do think he would be good with Shanny and possibly an upgrade over Jimmy, but the potential in a guy like Fields is just so much higher in my eyes. Hopefully it all works out because I really do like our staff and if they blow this pick that will be the end of them. It would be really lame to see Fields crushing it in Carolina or Denver while we were sitting here suffering through mediocrity. 

6 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I do think he would be good with Shanny and possibly an upgrade over Jimmy, but the potential in a guy like Fields is just so much higher in my eyes. Hopefully it all works out because I really do like our staff and if they blow this pick that will be the end of them. It would be really lame to see Fields crushing it in Carolina or Denver while we were sitting here suffering through mediocrity. 

He might be a upgrade over Jimmy in terms of interception rate. I doubt he'll turn the ball over at the clip Jimmy does. 

But I don't see Mac at the helm of a high-powered offense, outdueling QBs possessing better physical tools with just his intellect and savvy alone. I didn't see it with Brees either so there's something to be said about projecting. But Brees wasn't a #3 overall pick either. 

This is a smokescreen at its finest. @Forge over here, beating his head against the wall already, ha

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2