3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Now i'm interested in pro day attendance the past few years. 

Did the Chiefs attend Mahomes? 

Texans for Watson?

Bills for Allen? 

Chargers for Herbert? 

Etc etc

Lynch is on record that he attended Mahomes pro day as a smokescreen FYI...

I won't hate drafting Jones, but i do think all the reports leaning that way are just smoke..

I want to say that kc / mahomes was all brett veach. They did have him in for private visit as well. The bills were at allen's pro day, but I don't know who. I believe telesco was at herbert's pro day

On 3/27/2021 at 3:08 PM, Broncofan said:

I think the other possibility with the SF - Jones talk that’s been largely ignored - trying to prevent an even more massive offer to NYJ for 1.2.   It could be SF wants 1 guy and it’s not Wilson.   Sending up smoke that SF is all in on Jones would likely have teams targeting ATL / CIN for the guy SF really wants - and put everyone in that group also in wait mode.  

The last thing SF wants if they want Lance / Fields is for someone (say Carolina) to decide screw it I’m going all in with NYJ and get that guy.   The Jones smoke helps prevents that.  I’d honestly buy this more.  Food for thought.     

This was a great post that probably got lost in the shuffle in the news forum

its the most plausible reason why we are smokescreening so hard with Mac Jones. We want fields only, and do not want wilson, and are afraid some other team will push hard with the jets to trade up to #2. 

I keep seeing - Why smokescreen if we are picking #3 overall with the other two picks set in stone? My counter argument: why tell the truth??

Its going to be hilarious to see us draft Fields, then in a few years there is some buzz about us and a prospect and everyone will be like - remember when Kyle tried to fool us by going to Mac Jones' pro day?? LOL 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

The biggest problem with the Mccorkle talk is that there's so much of it. That's just not really a thing the niners do until much later in the draft

this is another thing that is worth noting

the early leaks of our plans never happen, only the ones that happen the day before the draft. Our plans have gotten leaked, but only literally right before the draft

It must be some former player who calls eddie D or something like that the night before the draft. Or maybe someone's wife. lol 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I mean, that is a jaw dropping throw 😂😂

Well Monds is Chris Simms 4th rated QB, only behind Wilson, Lawrence & Jones in that order. 

I said long ago that there is something to Monds that makes think he could develop into something. 

**** it....#Monds3rdoverall2daNiners

42 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Well Monds is Chris Simms 4th rated QB, only behind Wilson, Lawrence & Jones in that order. 

I said long ago that there is something to Monds that makes think he could develop into something. 

**** it....#Monds3rdoverall2daNiners

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148865x724t8yjv1ybs7xjw

6 hours ago, Forge said:

I want to say that kc / mahomes was all brett veach. They did have him in for private visit as well. The bills were at allen's pro day, but I don't know who. I believe telesco was at herbert's pro day

yeah, Veach was all in with Mahomes since 2014. The Athletic had an article on how all that came about.

5 hours ago, N4L said:

this is another thing that is worth noting

the early leaks of our plans never happen, only the ones that happen the day before the draft. Our plans have gotten leaked, but only literally right before the draft

It must be some former player who calls eddie D or something like that the night before the draft. Or maybe someone's wife. lol 

Just like how our brass said Q.Williams was a much better/special player than Bosa leading up to the draft....

If they draft Jones, I wont be disappointed with the player, just the trade. To me, giving up all the prime draft capitol is supposed to be for an elite QB prospect. I don't see that with Jones. Of the 5 other QB prospects at the top, at least Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, and Lance can say they were the best players on their offense.... 

• Like 4

I think the thing that's getting real old, real fast for me lately is the media working within the construct of what has happened in the past must surely happen in the future. 

For example, there was a tweet that I saw this morning (I'm now struggling to find it), that said that since the Mike Shanahan's Broncos moved up twice in 2006 to take a QB that never met in person means that Kyle will 100% follow his dad and take Trey Lance, since we didn't go to his pro day. 

Or the "Kyle had success with Cousins in WAS, so he must be taking the next Cousins this year."

It's like HC's either don't evolve or the media doesn't think they should. It's a bit ridiculous. I get that everyone and their mother are grasping at every straw they can find so they can point back to one of their 5,000 tweets to show they got it right. 

Just because Kyle's dad or Kyle himself did something in the past doesn't mean he's going to do it in the future. Smart people evolve when it's appropriate and Kyle and John are very smart people. 

• Like 3

• That said, I’d say Garoppolo’s availability is subject to change. My guess is, at this point, it’d take the Niners getting a first-round pick for them to even start in on trade talks and move off the course they’ve set. Now, if a veteran they can trust as a bridge quarterback becomes available, that could well shift their thinking. Or if we get to summer, and the rookie is way ahead of schedule, and/or a Sam Bradford-in-2018 situation arises elsewhere, that could change things, too. But for right now, Garoppolo is the Niners’ starter.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/29/mmqb-inside-49ers-dolphins-trade-nfl-draft

Agreed with this line of thinking. No need to get rid of Jimmy unless you get a great offer like a team offering up a first rounder. You can use that first rounder to move around the draft and even get some future compensation back that you lost in the Miami trade. 

• Like 1