3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

This is seriously one of the most bizarre situations I've seen. Like, just about every talent evaluator I've seen has Mac no higher than 4th, most have him 5th, and don't really understand the idea of him at 3, even when they are mocking him there. 

But everyone affiliated with football who isn't draft oriented thinks the pick is Mac. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is seriously one of the most bizarre situations I've seen. Like, just about every talent evaluator I've seen has Mac no higher than 4th, most have him 5th, and don't really understand the idea of him at 3, even when they are mocking him there. 

But everyone affiliated with football who isn't draft oriented thinks the pick is Mac. 

You're not picking Jones. Shanahan is a smart guy.

1 minute ago, 49ers fan said:

I wonder who kyle would pick between Watson, Josh Allen, and Cousins. 

Hindsight is 20/20, i dont think Watson or Cousins has dismantle a Shanny team like Allen did last year. Allen looked pretty much unstoppable, Shanny looked very impressed

Edited by P_locniners

1 minute ago, BigTrav said:

You're not picking Jones. Shanahan is a smart guy.

Shanahan is an arrogant guy. 

But my stance has been the same since the start. 95% fields and Lance, only giving Mac 5%  because of shannys arrogance. Don't see it

• Like 1

Just now, P_locniners said:

Hindsight is 20/20, i dont think Watson or Cousins has dismantle a Shanny team like Allen did last year. Allen looked pretty much unstoppable, Shanny looked very impressed

Sounded like it after the game, too. 

Tough sell to lose one super bowl in part because your qb takes a sack, lose another because you can't bring down the other guy, and then get dismantled by Josh allen and think the proper course of action is Mac

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

What worries me is, has there been a situation where so many credible people confidently state something is going to happen, and then it doesn't? 

I'm sure these guys hear unfounded rumours all the time but don't run with it. 

But then again, both Rap & Maiocco dismissed the idea of a rookie QB just a month ago..so what does anyone really know

Edited by 49ersfan

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Sounded like it after the game, too. 

Tough sell to lose one super bowl in part because your qb takes a sack, lose another because you can't bring down the other guy, and then get dismantled by Josh allen and think the proper course of action is Mac

I also seriously can't buy that Shanny would lock himself in a room for a month, watch everyone's tape, and come away needing to trade 3 1st's not for Lance or Fields but Jones...it boggles the mind 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 2

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article250476606.html

Regarding Lance, remember when Shanahan said C.J. Beathard was an easy evaluation because he ran a run-heavy, pro-style offense at Iowa? Now imagine one of the more physically intriguing prospects over the last few years having that same advantage coming into the draft. That’s a reason why I believe Lance would be an easy fit.

Shanahan also said in December he wished Josh Allen came out in the 2017 draft. Allen’s skill set might be best comparison to Lance.

To me, Lance just makes the most sense

18 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

What worries me is, has there been a situation where so many credible people confidently state something is going to happen, and then it doesn't? 

I'm sure these guys hear unfounded rumours all the time but don't run with it. 

But then again, both Rap & Maiocco dismissed the idea of a rookie QB just a month ago..so what does anyone really know

The thing is, what are they basing it off? That's why I don't much care about it one way or the other. Chris Simms has been broadcasting his love for Mac well before we traded up to #3, and he's one of the few that actually views Mac as just a flat out better prospect, so it makes sense that he would think Mac would be the pick and he was the very first one it. This also applies to Tannenbaum, who was the guy advocating the Carolina + Mac fit (though listening to Tannenbaum try to justify it is a hilarious exercise in yikes) 

After that? It sounds like just a bunch of people offering their opinions and basing it off the opinions of other people who are assuming what Kyle's preference is. And it's weird too the way certain narratives formulate. Like MM / Laura Britt took the press conference after the trade as a sign that he'd like someone like mac because of how he was "gushing" about Kirk Cousins and had to stop. Yet when I listen to that press conference and think the exact opposite. Some people take the pro day as being meaningful, and I don't, but if I did, I'd actually go 100% the exact opposite direction that most people are taking it (IE, I think going to Mac's pro day over fields means he has more questions on Mac). 

Until someone starts saying that they are getting their info from inside the building, I don't give credence to any of it. And at this point, nobody has claimed anything remotely close to that. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

I liked this A LOT. This was a real nice summation of all three and how they fit. To sum it up:

• Jones: Offense wouldn't need to change much but would also incorporate more deep shots. Jones can't throw on the run well, so the pocket will need to be pretty clean for him to operate effectively. Could probably run the offense from day 1 if asked. Above-average starter that you could definitely win with.

• Fields: Would need time to fix his quick-pass game, which is a staple of the west coast offense. Long throwing motion is his downfall in our type of offense. Offense could potentially change quite a bit for Fields due to his superior deep ball game. Could result in personnel change at WR and OL to better attack down field. Fields is deadly in the intermediate game and could start day 1 if needed. His accuracy, arm talent, and athleticism is unrivaled in the past few draft classes combined. True super-star potential. 

• Lance: Runs a similar offense to us at NDSU, so you can visualize the fit. Has all the physical tools, but when things breakdown, his mechanics do as well. INTs could pile up quickly for him in the onset of his career. He most certainly could not start day 1 and would absolutely need the redshirt year. His ceiling is high and the talent is immense, but there is so much unknown to him. He could easily transcend a west coast offense into new heights with his talent, but it may take him 2-3 years to get there.

I see the intrigue with all three. But my gut is still favoring Fields. It's just so hard to past up on this kind of talent. He's rare. You don't pass up this kind of rare for a project that might be great or an above-average QB. 

• Like 2