NFL expected to add 17th regular season game, starting in 2021, 4 extra international games starting in 2022

Broncofan

It's official....

And the 17th game....next year, the divisions that were visitors are at home, and vice-versa (they will rotate the schedule on a 8-year schedule to face each division 2x, 1 home & 1 away, so it's easy to mix & match).

ExlGUEKXEAE-2vD?format=png&name=900x900

1 twist -  as of 2022, 4 of those games will be international, presumably if they kept them all in same division, they could spread out those equally as well (if that's their goal).

6 minutes ago, Dome said:

I don’t think it will take long for passing records to fall...

wondering how long some of the rushing records hold up 

That's the 1st thing you think about? It's okay man Drew Brees will still be remembered as a great QB. 

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

Stats and records are kind of a big deal to a lot of fans.

Yeah I know. I just don't believe the important ones will be broken by avg QBs but my Elite one's. I'm still surprised the single game passing record still stands with all of the 500 yard games we've had since the 2010s.

6 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I’m all about changes for safety, competitiveness, and all that. But I don’t like extending the season. 

Im with you

I wonder how this effects bye weeks. Do they start later? are they going to be more bunched up? An early bye week is already not great but now with an extra game its pretty lame. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chargers said:

That's the 1st thing you think about? It's okay man Drew Brees will still be remembered as a great QB. 

You must not be aware of my feelings on Brees lol 

50 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Stats and records are kind of a big deal to a lot of fans.

Not a big deal, just interesting. I’ll be alive to witness a major change that is guaranteed to have a huge impact on some all-time records.

Records get broken with enough regularity that it’s not really unusual, but players (passers/receivers) now are in a better position to break these records than they have been in over 30 years.

I don’t think the impact of an extra game is quite as big a deal for rushing records given the current offensive trends. There are a couple backs in the NFL that could push the record tho.

Edited by Dome