So, uh...how about round 2?

Forge

Obviously we know it's QB in round 1, so what are we doing in round 2? We could still use a wr3. We definitely need some corner depth given the guys we have on one year deals. Safety? This draft kind of sucks at the position, but bouncing a guy like Molden around between safety and slot could be a lot of fun and I love him as a player. 

Do we dare just go all out explosive offense with the new guy and take a running back or TE? 

Also, what about Caleb Farley? I think that there's a good chance that he falls into round 2 (or very late round 1) because of the injuries. Are you taking a swing on him if he gets within striking distance? A couple of back surgeries....a torn ACL...raw talent who opted out last year (the fact that he's still hurt after opting out is a major, major flag), but are you shooting your shot on a guy that honestly could be a top 7 talent in this draft? 

What do you guys want to do? 

I think most of us see that we need to bolster our corner depth while also ensuring we have a talented young player for next year when JV22 potentially gets more money elsewhere 

Eman is yet to be a full 16 game starter, so we need to hedge against the fact he could have a drop off in play. You just never know sometimes. 

So that's where I think most of us would want to go in round 2. With the WR talent improving significantly around the league year over year, you need corners with measurables to match up. Those guys don't fall into later rounds. We need to be thinking about someone who can cover DeAndre Hopkins and DK Metcalf. I don't know if that guy is currently on our roster (aside from JV22) 

Round 3/4 when we have two picks within 13/14 spots of each other is probably a place that would make sense to take a DE in this class (according to the consensus of all the smart people on this website)

With that being said, I have a hunch Kyle will fall in love with some skill position player and want to pull the trigger. Could be Etienne or najee Harris. Maybe it's an interior lineman who can play RG now and eventually move over to center for us (ok, who am I kidding with that one lol we haven't valued the interior OL) 

I am completely behind the idea of giving Kyle another toy on offense in the second. Sure, we don't have enough depth right now at corner, but if we move Jimmy now or next year, we will have another 25-50 million to spend on the roster. That could be one or more legit starting corners next year.

So you have to balance that immediate need of depth, with the potential looming future need at the position, while also knowing that we will potentially have more cap maneuverability next season. 

Is a corner in round 2 really going to be more ready to play than a corner who slips through the cracks that we can get in the 4th? You would like to think so, but not necessarily

best guess: corner 

hunch: offensive weapon 

reality: DE 

I guess that a linebacker will be selected in 2nd round. SF needs depth and talent there especially after trading Kwon Alexander.
Actually I also thought SF maybe speculated on Micah Parsons with pick 12 - Greenlaw, Warner, Parsons would be amazing and they have a person who could fill the gap in case Warners contract can‘t be extended.

If they don‘t take a linebacker I guess they will select a WR3 or the best Safety. For cornerback depth a guy in round 4 or 5 seems sufficient to me.

I like Tyson Campbell or Tay Gowan there. Long, twitchy enough for man. Enough instincts for zone. Gowan has little tape but was the closest thing I saw to Farley at closing space and breaking on the ball among the bigger guys. Campbell has lots of tape and tackles well, but should break up more passes. Still, I'm confident he starts on the boundary in the NFL. I also adore Ronnie Perkins. I know we got Ekubam to help out, but I think he's a defensive force multiplier like Dee Ford was. And the last guy available who's less of a project there. I like the later round receivers and TE/FB types for depth and variety. And I like the depth in the developmental iOL class.

• Like 2

Guys I'd definitely stay pat for if they're there at 43:

• Travis Etienne, RB
  • Kadarius Toney, WR
  • Pat Freiermuth, TE
  • Joseph Ossai, EDGE
  • Caleb Farley, CB
  • Asante Samuel Jr., CB

Guys I'd consider taking at 43, but would be ok with passing on:

• Javonte Williams, RB
  • Rondale Moore, WR
  • Creed Humphrey, C
  • Trevon Moehrig, S

Guys I'd target in a trade down:

• Elijah Moore, WR
  • Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR
  • Josh Myers, C
  • Hamilcar Rashed, EDGE
  • Joe Tryon, EDGE

Guy's I'm interested in the 3rd:

• Michael Carter, RB
  • Nico Collins, WR
  • Amari Rodgers, WR
  • Tommy Tremble, TE
  • Janarius Robinson, EDGE
  • Paulson Adebo, CB
  • Trill Williams, CB
  • Benjamin St-Juste, CB

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 1

BPA hopefully. 

There will be a ton of players on the interior O-Line, Edge, & CB worthy of our second round pick. I think someone like Rashod Bateman would also make sense if he makes it to our pick with the loss of Bourne this offseason. 

I never want to commit to one position, but unless someone falls that I really love, I Think that Corner is going to be super high on my list here. Regardless of the contract situation of the corners, the ages really have to be considered as well. I'm not sure that I'd want to re-sign them moving forward. You can always find some solid vet corners on the market because of the positional volatility though; good corners will have bad years and come at reasonably low prices. 

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

I never want to commit to one position, but unless someone falls that I really love, I Think that Corner is going to be super high on my list here. Regardless of the contract situation of the corners, the ages really have to be considered as well. I'm not sure that I'd want to re-sign them moving forward. You can always find some solid vet corners on the market because of the positional volatility though; good corners will have bad years and come at reasonably low prices. 

This is kind of what I was getting at with my BPA comment. I don't think it's wise to lock in on one position at any point in the draft. Obviously we aren't going to be taking a QB in the second if we take one at three, but I think damn near every other position should be on the board. 

• Like 1

I think there is a very good chance we actually trade up again into late first or early second to grab a corner and I don't hate that move. I think for me corner and IOL are probably my 1A 1B for the second round, slight lean towards corner due to positional importance, but if there's one position I would point too as scaring the hell out of me this season, it's RG, and this is coming from someone who really likes Brunskill. But Corner is almost as sketchy and far more important. So I would probably go corner, even at a bit of reach. 

I also wonder why the draft pundits have cooled down on Creed Humphry? 

1 hour ago, John232 said:

I think there is a very good chance we actually trade up again into late first or early second to grab a corner and I don't hate that move. I think for me corner and IOL are probably my 1A 1B for the second round, slight lean towards corner due to positional importance, but if there's one position I would point too as scaring the hell out of me this season, it's RG, and this is coming from someone who really likes Brunskill. But Corner is almost as sketchy and far more important. So I would probably go corner, even at a bit of reach. 

I also wonder why the draft pundits have cooled down on Creed Humphry? 

I'm not sure, honestly. Enjoyed watching him at the senior bowl. So many center types stink there because they have no anchor, but Creed anchors well. He's always been available. He's been really good - maybe not the best in class at any one thing, but he'll downblock, reach block, double team guys, and handle pass rush one on ones at an above level in the pros. 

Edited by JIllg
Spelling
  • Like 1

Things can change & the needs don't always match up with the value available. But if i had to guess the position for our 9 picks

1 - QB

2 - CB

3 - Edge

4- Slot WR

5 - Nickel CB (K'Waun replacement)

5 - OL (exact position depends how they view McVitz & Brunskill)

5 - TE

6 - S

7 - RB