Raiders sign Karl Joseph

Nightmare

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

If you want I"ll try and go back to watch the Browns defense and see where/why he struggled.

Yes, I'd love to see film from last season where he played FS in a cover 3 scheme and struggled as to why people are confident he'll play well in that role here. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm done going back and forth about it but the facts are: 

• Karl Joseph's production/grades/film study all highlighted that he was much better in the box then at FS in Oakland. 

• Karl Joseph played FS in a cover 3 scheme very similar to Bradley's and really struggled in coverage.

• Throughout his career all numbers and film highlight that Joseph is at his best when allowed to be aggressive and attack, not sit back in coverage. 

• The Raiders brought in two safeties to replace him in Gilchrist and Abram, then let him walk in free agency. 

There's no tape, statistics, or grading system that show Joseph has ever been able to thrive playing FS. In fact they all show the opposite, he struggles at FS and is at his best in the box. We just saw him playing the majority of his snaps in a cover 3 defense and he didn't play well. And that was on a defense that was one of the best at stopping the run and had a good pass rush. 

You’re not wrong but here are some other key facts:

• Karl Joseph played single high safety in college And was projected by many to be a free safety in the NFL
  • Since he has been drafted he has never played mainly at free safety let alone single high safety
  • He has never played for a DC in his career(2 out of 3 DCs he played for her first time DC’s)
  • This year would be his first year playing for a notable DC see in his career
  • When a notable DC makes a decision on a player he carries more weight than when a DC that’s not notable makes a decision

Therefore if Gus Bradley who has coached earl Thomas and revive the career of Tre Boston(who no one wanted at the time either) Think this guy can play single high safety it’s not the craziest thing that ever happened.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

• Karl Joseph played single high safety in college And was projected by many to be a free safety in the NFL
  • Since he has been drafted he has never played mainly at free safety let alone single high safety
  • He has never played for a DC in his career(2 out of 3 DCs he played for her first time DC’s)
  • This year would be his first year playing for a notable DC see in his career
  • When a notable DC makes a decision on a player he carries more weight than when a DC that’s not notable makes a decision

Therefore if Gus Bradley who has coached earl Thomas and revive the career of Tre Boston(who no one wanted at the time either) Think this guy can play single high safety it’s not the craziest thing that ever happened.

Rayshawn Jenkins wasn't some high draft pick, but shined with Bradley. This could be the Nellie of 2021 type of pick up. 

21 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

And in the NFL he has been significantly better in the box then at FS, so what he did in college is a mute point. He played FS in a cover 3 defense last year and struggled, watch the tape. 

I will be happy to revisit this in a few months if he is our starting FS. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

And in the NFL he has been significantly better in the box then at FS, so what he did in college is a mute point. He played FS in a cover 3 defense last year and struggled, watch the tape. 

I will be happy to revisit this in a few months if he is our starting FS. 

I respect that. It'll definitely be a conversation to be had if it happens.

Would you happen to have the tape where he struggled at FS for the browns so i can actually see it? 

Edited by Jeremy408

47 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yes, I'd love to see film from last season where he played FS in a cover 3 scheme and struggled as to why people are confident he'll play well in that role here. 

You can get Gamepass and see for yourself. It's a better investment than PFF. The NFL uses PFF for their tendency numbers, not their grades. Seeing things for yourself will make you trust beat writers and Twitter film guys a lot less.

I'm also wondering if Bradley is looking to play 3 safeties often. When Derwin James was healthy, Bradley would play Jenkins, James, and Adrian Phillips at the same time quite often. James would always be in the box and Jenkins would almost always be high. I could could see a trio of Heath, Joseph, and Abram where Heath is high and Joseph and Abram in the box. And my box I mean close to the line of scrimmage (not necessarily within the tackle box).

I'm watching late season Browns games and Joseph is playing almost exclusively in the box.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

You can get Gamepass and see for yourself. It's a better investment than PFF. The NFL uses PFF for their tendency numbers, not their grades. Seeing things for yourself will make you trust beat writers and Twitter film guys a lot less.

You're right Karl Joseph is the next Earl Thomas.

Just now, Rich7sena said:

Strawman: an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

You're right a guy that has never shown he can thrive in single high in a cover 3 scheme in 5 NFL seasons, 1 of which he played FS in a similar system, is going to be able to do it for us. Because Mike Mayock compared him to Earl Thomas 6 years ago. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

You're right a guy that has never shown he can thrive in single high in a cover 3 scheme in 5 NFL seasons, 1 of which he played FS in a similar system, is going to be able to do it for us. Because Mike Mayock compared him to Earl Thomas 6 years ago. 

I've seen play single high competently before. I never said anything about Mayock so I don't know who you're talking to.