Julian Edelman vs Calvin Johnson

NeptunePenguins

Which career was better  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Edelman or Johnson?

• Edelman
    • Johnson

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

That BROKE 30 for 30 was absolutely unbelievable...and yet so believable. 

Keeping up with the Joneses' is a real problem when you have a league full of BMOCs who don't like getting outdone.

Listening to Andre Rison talking about a night at the club is just... I mean, he basically blew a college tuition on bottles of Grey Goose in a single night.

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

Keeping up with the Joneses' is a real problem when you have a league full of BMOCs who don't like getting outdone.

Listening to Andre Rison talking about a night at the club is just... I mean, he basically blew a college tuition on bottles of Grey Goose in a single night.

Someone once said that the gap between poor and rich wasn't as big as the one between the rich and ultra rich...and after hearing stories like that, it makes sense. 

Didn't Vince Young basically blow millions at the Cheesecake Factory?!?!?!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Someone once said that the gap between poor and rich wasn't as big as the one between the rich and ultra rich...and after hearing stories like that, it makes sense. 

The thing is the mega rich are so wealthy that most people can’t wrap their head around it. Jeff Bezos is worth $194 billion. Peyton Manning’s net worth is $200 million. If Bezos lost $200 million in a bad investment, he’s still be worth $194 billion. The same amount lost that would ruin one of the most successful football players lives wouldn’t even change the first 3 numbers before the comma.

It’s stupid money. I did the math on it once and it was something like if Bezos liquidated everything and lived off what is considered an upper class lifestyle in America’s salary per year, he’d have enough money that he’d live more years than we can reliably track human civilization now 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, lancerman said:

The thing is the mega rich are so wealthy that most people can’t wrap their head around it.

The issue with athletes is that they think they're mega rich.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Oh, VY...

- He averaged about $5,000 a week at Cheesecake Factory... One meal came out to $15,000.

- During training camp, VY would run up $6,000 tabs at TGI Fridays. He'd invite several team members, they'd sit at the bar and empty the place out. Bartenders would get $2-3k tips out of it.

- Once, VY didn't feel like dealing with other passengers on a flight to Houston, so he bought every single ticket on the flight; 140 seats at a conservative $250/ticket comes out to $35,000.

(For reference, renting a Lear jet for a single flight comes out to about $10,000. A NetJets account is about $9,600 for 50 hours of flight time. So, VY could have rented a Lear, used the WiFi on that flight to sign up for NetJets, and STILL had enough left over for three weeks worth of dinners at Cheesecake Factory).

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

This is a major reach, given that nearly 80% of players declare bankruptcy within two years of retirement:

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0312/why-athletes-go-broke.aspx

one source says 78% within 2 years. A couple sentences later, another sources claims less than 16% within 12 years.

I suspect nobody actually knows the answer.

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

wow congrats Edelman is the Joe Flacco is WR's. Amazing feat, truly.

Well Flacco was a decent QB who had a crazy postseason run. No one would say “any JAG could do what Flacco did that on that run”, right? Nah, that’d be stupid. Quite stupid.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 2:00 PM, ET80 said:

Oh, VY...

- He averaged about $5,000 a week at Cheesecake Factory... One meal came out to $15,000.

- During training camp, VY would run up $6,000 tabs at TGI Fridays. He'd invite several team members, they'd sit at the bar and empty the place out. Bartenders would get $2-3k tips out of it.

- Once, VY didn't feel like dealing with other passengers on a flight to Houston, so he bought every single ticket on the flight; 140 seats at a conservative $250/ticket comes out to $35,000.

(For reference, renting a Lear jet for a single flight comes out to about $10,000. A NetJets account is about $9,600 for 50 hours of flight time. So, VY could have rented a Lear, used the WiFi on that flight to sign up for NetJets, and STILL had enough left over for three weeks worth of dinners at Cheesecake Factory).

Just...........wow

On 4/22/2021 at 12:50 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Well Flacco was a decent QB who had a crazy postseason run. No one would say “any JAG could do what Flacco did that on that run”, right? Nah, that’d be stupid. Quite stupid.

Why would nobody say that, considering Joe Flacco is literally the best example of a JAG pulling that off....?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why would nobody say that, considering Joe Flacco is literally the best example of a JAG pulling that off....?

Because it was a historically great feat that even the large majority of GOATish QBs haven’t accomplished? 

Is it physically possible for someone else to do? Of course. It’s physically possible to score 100 points per game and throw for 8,000 yards, too. But has it been done before? Hardly. Has it been replicated, even by superior players? Nope. 

Give players their credit. A decent player going on a tear doesn’t mean that they didn’t scorch earth just because they’re not elite players. Breaking news, but an underwhelming player overachieving, doesn’t make them unimportant to the team’s success. 

Also, friendly reminder, that we’re still having this conversation when you thought I was talking about Danny Amendola and Wes Welker, lol. “Edelman’s was unimportant for those championships” -> *was actually performing at an extremely high level throughout the postseason* -> “lulz bruh I didn’t even check, but those are probably Welker and Amendola’s stats” -> *were literally Edelman’s* -> “well how can you ignore regular season, guy did nothing” -> *also had 200 catches and 2,000+ yards in those seasons* -> “cOnGrAtS fLaCcO” 

Gems, truly. Question for an informed watcher: you said earlier you’d “concede 2018” - what specifically did Edelman do in 2018 where he deserves credit for being “important” in that run? 

On 4/22/2021 at 10:45 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The guy responded to me talking about Edelman's talent and statistics, so that's where the topic diverged to. 

Well, no. You made an ignorant comment, saying that Edelman was unimportant to NE’s championships. No one said anything about talent, you just...made that up. 

9 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Because it was a historically great feat that even the large majority of GOATish QBs haven’t accomplished? 

Eli Manning has done some incredible things in the playoffs, too. Nick Foles did as well. But sure.

Give players their credit. A decent player going on a tear doesn’t mean that they didn’t scorch earth just because they’re not elite players. Breaking news, but an underwhelming player overachieving, doesn’t make them unimportant to the team’s success. 

The difference being that Flacco is a QB and Edelman is a WR. Unimportant because he's entirely replaceable and largely mediocre in the regular season, as a WR.

Also, friendly reminder, that we’re still having this conversation when you thought I was talking about Danny Amendola and Wes Welker, lol. “Edelman’s was unimportant for those championships” -> *was actually performing at an extremely high level throughout the postseason* -> “lulz bruh I didn’t even check, but those are probably Welker and Amendola’s stats” -> *were literally Edelman’s* -> “well how can you ignore regular season, guy did nothing” -> *also had 200 catches and 2,000+ yards in those seasons* -> “cOnGrAtS fLaCcO” 

That's not what I was arguing. I was saying his stats largely mirror the production that Amendola and Welker put up, which reinforced my argument that not only is Edelman some special player, he's entirely indistinguishable from the other dudes who played his position except Welker who actually put up consistently good regular season stats.

Gems, truly. Question for an informed watcher: you said earlier you’d “concede 2018” - what specifically did Edelman do in 2018 where he deserves credit for being “important” in that run? 

Edelman in 2018 was the best WR on the Patriots statistically (something he wasn't in the other runs where they had a dominant Gronk) and put up good regular season stats. I think for season I was looking at one year earlier (sometimes when I quickly check PFR I forgot that 2018 = 2019 postseason and such)

Well, no. You made an ignorant comment, saying that Edelman was unimportant to NE’s championships. No one said anything about talent, you just...made that up. 

And yet, despite how important you think he is, not one team has ever game planned around stopping Julian freaking Edelman from beating you on 2 yard whip routes - aside from 2018/2019 postseason where he was their only legit target.

38 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Eli Manning has done some incredible things in the playoffs, too. Nick Foles did as well. But sure.

Did they replicate what Flacco did statistically? 

The difference being that Flacco is a QB and Edelman is a WR. Unimportant because he's entirely replaceable and largely mediocre in the regular season, as a WR.

So you consider a player who is the QB’s favorite target, sees the most targets on the offense, sees either the most or second most yards, debatably becomes the offense’s best non-QB in the postseason, has reliably demonstrated excellence in big moments, and has undeniable production to back that up - unimportant? Yes or no?

That's not what I was arguing. I was saying his stats largely mirror the production that Amendola and Welker put up, which reinforced my argument that not only is Edelman some special player, he's entirely indistinguishable from the other dudes who played his position except Welker who actually put up consistently good regular season stats.

You are both lazy enough to believe those three players played the same role (they didn’t) and too lazy to even Google their production. Edelman elevated in the postseason in ways that Welker never could. 

Edelman in 2018 was the best WR on the Patriots statistically (something he wasn't in the other runs where they had a dominant Gronk) and put up good regular season stats. I think for season I was looking at one year earlier (sometimes when I quickly check PFR I forgot that 2018 = 2019 postseason and such)

- Gronk missed most of the 16’ season and didn’t play in the playoffs at all. 

- Edelman’s stats in 18’ were virtually identical to what they were in 16’ and only barely better than what they were in 14’. There’s really no way to say 18’ and “good regular season stats” and then 16’ mediocre.

- The one championship run, 14’, where Gronk and Edelman played for about the whole season + the postseason, Edelman saw more targets and catches (Gronk had more yards and TDs). 

Yeah, you’re again talking out of your rear end.

And yet, despite how important you think he is, not one team has ever game planned around stopping Julian freaking Edelman from beating you on 2 yard whip routes - aside from 2018/2019 postseason where he was their only legit target.

And...look how it went. He continually came down with big plays and first downs in the postseason, when his body allowed him to. Seattle and Baltimore wish they had game planned a little better for him. 

There’s no legitimate, merit-able way to backup “Edelman wasn’t important to their championship runs”.