2021 Day 1 NFL Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!!!)

CWood21

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I do think it's time for the Packers to start picking WRs on day 2 again.  They did that reliably for a while then just stopped after Ty Montgomery.

You know how there are celebrity/cameo shots in beer pong...

We needed Gute to let TT do a celebrity WR pick in the 2nd. Terrance Murphy was the only second round guy who didn't make it and that was an injury ended his career.

Lets hope Gute learned enough from being around him to be able to replicate it.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Isn't what he's arguing is that DL is a bigger need than OT or WR?

I'm not getting on the 'needs' train debate today. If people want to keep thinking the Packers are drafting players based on need have at it.   

15 minutes ago, R T said:

I'm not getting on the 'needs' train debate today. If people want to keep thinking the Packers are drafting players based on need have at it.   

Was Eric Stokes clearly the BPA, or did need play a role in the decision making?

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Is DT really more pressing than CB?  They basically have nothing at CB past this year except Jaire and Sullivan.  On the DL they at least have Kenny (who is good), Lowry (who is serviceable), and Keke (who is intriguing) for >1 year.

Sullivan is on a RFA 1 year contract.   He is a UFA in 2022.   So you are down to Jaire and Hollman at CB.  

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Was Eric Stokes clearly the BPA, or did need play a role in the decision making?

I think it is very safe to say that Stokes was the BPA "ON THEIR BOARD". They spend 360+ days working to build the very best board they can, they are going to draft the BPA "ON THEIR BOARD". You are spinning this to the process of building a board and many things including position will play into that process. When all things are equal positional values can come into play, where the roster may be lighter can come into play, but that is all part of the building process of developing the board and who is the BPA. When the board is complete they are drafting the BPA on their board. 

40 minutes ago, R T said:

I will be surprised if we do not see a trade up 6-11 spots today in the 2nd round. There will probably be a run on OT's and WR's and I don't think Gutes will get shutout with one of them.  

You may be right.  If they envision some guy as a real asset player, Gute will probably be willing to sacrifice 3rd or 4th.  And I'll be fired up about it. 

But I think they'd really like to be able to add two guys tonight, and impact two of their position groups.  Per classic trade-value chart, jumping up 11 would cost our 3rd.  I'd be a little hesitant to to have only one more position group impacted prior to end-of-4th-round picks?

I think there is still a good crop of interesting prospects left.  Think there is a fair chance that a good OL or DL or WR or play-making ILB will still be there without needing to move up.  But, I don't know Gute's board, so who knows how things will flow.  

8 minutes ago, R T said:

I think it is very safe to say that Stokes was the BPA "ON THEIR BOARD". They spend 360+ days working to build the very best board they can, they are going to draft the BPA "ON THEIR BOARD". You are spinning this to the process of building a board and many things including position will play into that process. When all things are equal positional values can come into play, where the roster may be lighter can come into play, but that is all part of the building process of developing the board and who is the BPA. When the board is complete they are drafting the BPA on their board. 

It's probably highly likely the Packers had a few players left in the same tier.  If it was JOK, Stokes, and Elijah Moore were the last players left in their tier, how do you decide between those 3?