Day 1 Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

Ragnarok

Just now, CWood21 said:

Just kinda depends on what you need/want.  I like Darrisaw better, but AVT's gonna be a more sure-fire thing.

Well perhaps, but is that worth two 3 round picks on top when you're a bad team with no starting corners and other old holes to fill in the offensive line? Plus the fact that it's a deep offensive line class. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

Well perhaps, but is that worth two 3 round picks on top when you're a bad team with no starting corners and other old holes to fill in the offensive line? Plus the fact that it's a deep offensive line class. 

Personally, no.  But that goes back to draft philosophy.  But I understand the logic as to why the Jets did what they did.  I'd imagine they're moving back in the second round.

EDIT: You're not going to rebuild the entire Jets' franchise in a day.  You do everything in your power to make sure Wilson succeeds.  And that starts with OL and weapons.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, N4L said:

then we would have definitive proof that Bill Belichick has sold his soul to the devil 

wouldn't surprise me one way or the other. Lance seems to be a very toolsy prospect that with proper development can be elite but lots of questions that need to get answered. With Jones the question is if he can overcome the lack of upper tier arm strength and mobility. Lance seems to have a higher floor because he can still be a factor in the running game, Jones needs to be elite in accuracy and processing power.

Will be interesting to follow the careers of all 5 QBs and see how it looks in 3-4 years. We will probably be surprised like in every other draft.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Jets trading up to 14 to get Vera-Tucker and the Vikings trading down and getting Christian Darrisaw is wild to me. I like both players, but that just looks bizarre now.

I have AVT rated higher as a player, but I'd be more inclined to trade up for Darrisaw and trade down and pick up AVT LOL 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I have AVT rated higher as a player, but I'd be more inclined to trade up for Darrisaw and trade down and pick up AVT LOL 

I could go either way. AVT was the best guard prospect we've had since Nelson (he's not a Nelson tier prospect though). While there is no such thing as bust proof, I feel like this is a Zach Martin lock in and be happy at the position for a decade type play so I don't mind it for the Jets.

1 minute ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

I could go either way. AVT was the best guard prospect we've had since Nelson (he's not a Nelson tier prospect though). While there is no such thing as bust proof, I feel like this is a Zach Martin lock in and be happy at the position for a decade type play so I don't mind it for the Jets.

I do really like him as a prospect, but he's 100% a guard at the next level. In a vacuum, I just think he's a better player than Darrisaw, but I also think it's much easier to solve that problem than it is to solve a left tackle problem. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Does anyone blink if either of those players went in the opposite spots? I doubt it. Usually a sign someone got a better deal in the trade. I do love AVT though, it's just a case of a GM with two first getting unnecessarily antsy.

14 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Lol - 3rd down back in the first round 

This misses a lot of the context of what he was saying. He wants to use him like Kamara is used, mixed with how he used Percy Harvin and Curtis Samuel in college. 

The Jaguars were 28th in the league in rushing, and dead last in explosive plays. James Robinson is not a breakaway runner at all, and this offense desperately needs the ability to make splash plays. Couple that with the vision for what Urban Meyer wants his offense to be, and the Etienne pick was about as obvious as a pick could be. I’ve been saying for months that this is one of the most likely selections for them at 25. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

QB (4): Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love
RB (1): CEH
WR (7): Ruggs, Jeudy, Lamb, Raegor, Jefferson, Aiyuk, Wilson
TE (0): 
OT (5): Thomas, Wills, Becton, Wirfs, Jackson
IOL (1): Ruiz

Edge (2): Young, Chiasson
DT (2): Brown, Kinlaw
LB (4): Simmons, Murray, Brooks, Queen
CB (6): Okudah, Henderson, Terrell, Arnette, Igbinoghene, Gladney
S (0): 

QB (5): Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields, Jones
RB (2): Harris, Etienne
WR (5): Chase, Waddle, Smith, Toney, Bateman
TE (1): Pitts
OT (4): Sewell, Slater, Leatherwood (announced as OT), Darrisaw
IOL (1): Vera-Tucker

Edge (6): Phillips, Paye, Turner, Rousseau, Oweh, Tryon (announced as LB, but he's a rusher)
DT (0): 
LB (3): Parsons, Collins, Davis
CB (5): Horn, Surtain, Farley, Newsome, Stokes
S (0): 

Interestingly enough, 18 offense, and 14 defense both years.

Isiah Wilson was a OT not a WR.

I like AVT, he's a real first round talent at G, but I think calling him the best G prospect since Nelson is a bit much.  The only way I would take AVT over Darrisaw would be if I had two rock solid options in place already at OT.