Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Cutting Jordy -- probably the right decision

Cutting Kumerow -- probably the right decision (sorry @Norm)

Change the QB coach-- not sure which 1 specifically, but that is a coaching decision and a philosophical process that the HC might want to have more control over.   Was that in the MM era or MLF era?

Drafting Love -- this I can see as something that is legit, but that is the life cycle of the NFL.  

wants more money/guarantees / years -- again, the same process that plays out with a lot of other players.  Is the process for players to openly complain about it?  the contract was fair and paid Rodgers well in advance with lower cash income in the later years.   Very standard in NFL contracts.  

It's also very standard to extend players to lower cap hits if the player is in the teams long-term plans. 

3 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:
5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Cutting Jordy -- probably the right decision

Cutting Kumerow -- probably the right decision (sorry @Norm)

Change the QB coach-- not sure which 1 specifically, but that is a coaching decision and a philosophical process that the HC might want to have more control over.   Was that in the MM era or MLF era?

Drafting Love -- this I can see as something that is legit, but that is the life cycle of the NFL.  

wants more money/guarantees / years -- again, the same process that plays out with a lot of other players.  Is the process for players to openly complain about it?  the contract was fair and paid Rodgers well in advance with lower cash income in the later years.   Very standard in NFL contracts.  

Expand  

Not sure if this is trying to be a rebuttal on my post or you're just expanding on it, but I agree with all of your points. My point was that regardless of how big or small these complaints were, they're not new, and there's no reason to start the ****storm on Draft Day unless you actively want to hurt the Packers.

I was more commenting on how I see the validity of the issues, from my view.  

On when the report came out vs when it became known.    I think there was something that it was out for a bit, but not released until draft day for whatever reason.   Not sure if that is true or not, but I thought someone had mentioned this was released on draft day, but not necessarily informed to the source on draft day.     

Regardless, it is crappy timing on how/when it was made "public" with the reports.   Draft day is supposed to be a huge event for the 2021 draftees.....and to some extent, the Rodgers story took some of that spotlight.   Now, whether that was intentional from the side that did so, I don't know.   BUT it does certainly rub me the wrong way on someone needing to steal the spotlight.

Just now, Les Punting said:

It's also very standard to extend players to lower cap hits if the player is in the teams long-term plans. 

who are you referring to in extending someone?  Rodgers?? 

He has 3 years on his contract remaining and is 37/38 years old.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Not sure if this is trying to be a rebuttal on my post or you're just expanding on it, but I agree with all of your points. My point was that regardless of how big or small these complaints were, they're not new, and there's no reason to start the ****storm on Draft Day unless you actively want to hurt the Packers.

In what tangible way does this story hurt the packers? Did they lose cap space? Did they lose draft picks? The front office got embarrassed. Hurt feelings aren't tangible.

1 minute ago, Les Punting said:

In what tangible way does this story hurt the packers? Did they lose cap space? Did they lose draft picks? The front office got embarrassed. Hurt feelings aren't tangible.

They seem to be for Rodgers

29 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

To those asking to see "Aaron's side"... he apparently has a few gripes with the organization:

• Cutting Jordy
  • Cutting Kumerow
  • Changing the QB coach
  • Drafting Love
  • Wants more money / guarantees / years

ALL of these were true 3+ months ago when the season ended. He purposefully chose to leak these stories on the day of the draft, which to me means he was trying to hurt the Packers at the worst time possible - in a word, it's malice. That alone makes it impossible for me to side with him - he didn't care at all what these stories could do to our draft, he just wanted his **** sorted. He handled this the poorest possible way imo.

Are we sure that he leaked everything?  Pat Mcafee seems to think the original leak came from GB.  There were a plethora of major details in the story that were listed in the original leak to include direct quotes from multiple people within GB.  There's also Rodgers comments about him having remorse that the riff came public.  

It wasn't "Aaron Rodgers wants out of GB...." 

It was "Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay, direct quotes from management, details about their trips out to CA to see him, ect."

This was a build up of a substantial amount of info and details.  Schefter picked when to release the story, not GB or Aaron Rodgers.  

Edited by SSG

5 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

do you believe the timing was pure coincidence?

if you don't believe it was coincident (it was not), that means the timing was intentional. Which means that Rodgers camp believed the timing had a net positive impact on their position. Since it's a zero-sum game/negotiation, that means it negatively impacts the team.