Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Unless you truly believe Rodgers is going to retire, what leverage does he have?

Unless you think the Packers are going to throw away their hopes of a SB in 2021, what leverage do they have? They both have a lot to lose, but the Packers may have more. So who really has more leverage? Debatable to some degree, but to say Rodgers has 'no strength' is incorrect.  

34 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He didn't live up to that contract. Now we've offered him a chance to earn more via his play.

Welcome to the NFL, every team does this. If this is upsetting you I recommend NBA or MLB.

It's not even that he didn't live up to it. Those final years are not guaranteed cash, and Smith knows that when he signs it.

I really don't think @SSG understands the difference between guaranteed money in contracts and non-guaranteed money. 

7 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

He literally hasn't said anything

Maybe that has something to do about his treatment here? He could squash rumors, he could come up with a response to why he is demanding a trade, he could do pretty much anything that would let people know but then when this doesn't go his exact way he wouldn't have plausible deniability. The fact is the longer he doesn't speak the more opinion will sway away from him. 

• Like 1

Just now, R T said:

Unless you think the Packers are going to throw away their hopes of a SB in 2021, what leverage do they have? They both have a lot to lose, but the Packers may have more. So who really has more leverage? Debatable to some degree, but to say Rodgers has 'no strength' is incorrect.  

I think the second that Rodgers refused to restructure is the minute that legitimate 2021 SB shot were thrown away. Team needed to add some pieces to contend that they couldn't this offseason.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This isn't that situation, we've offered Aaron more money, he's declined to sign on the dotted line.

Neither of us has any idea what was and wasn't offered at this point. 

For all we know the extension offer might just be damage control months after the negotiation started and the damage was already done. 

Or it could have been the first thing that was offered and Rodgers is just with Green Bay and done with management.  

1 minute ago, SSG said:

Completely agree.  NFL contracts might as well be written on toilet paper and it will always be that way until players decide that taking a season + off is worth the sacrifice.  

Or maybe negotiate for things that are important instead of silly crap like no tackling in practice or the teams lose draft picks if they practice a minute over two hours one day. 

• Like 1

Since Rodgers signed this las deal, he got McCarthy fired, played poorly for two years while doing that, and responded to drafting a QB by deciding to clean up his play for a season and try to get the GM fired.  

His current response to disagreement is to not work it out.  He can leave IMO.

Oh, and that is not hate- I respect what he has done for the team, and have enjoyed watching him play.  I just feel he is no longer functional as a member of the Packers and they should move on while they can get draft picks for him.  They are going to have to rebuild soon, might as well start now.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, R T said:

It would suck for GB to not have Rodgers for 2021 season, it negatively impacts both GB and Rodgers ability to win a title. 

BUT, the GB franchise has a lot longer to acquire titles.   Rodgers has a window that is finite. 

1 minute ago, Spartacus said:

Maybe that has something to do about his treatment here? He could squash rumors, he could come up with a response to why he is demanding a trade, he could do pretty much anything that would let people know but then when this doesn't go his exact way he wouldn't have plausible deniability. The fact is the longer he doesn't speak the more opinion will sway away from him. 

He doesn't owe any of us insight into why or why not he wants to leave. It's his life. People on here are taking it way too personal. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, R T said:

Or maybe negotiate for things that are important instead of silly crap like no tackling in practice or the teams lose draft picks if they practice a minute over two hours one day. 

Agreed.

But there's still nothing inherently wrong with how teams (and players!) structure contracts in the NFL.

A contract is a contract is a contract. There's not much legal wiggle room that would allow for one side to significantly "screw" the other party. There's a slot of expenditure every team must adhere to, and players and teams agree to contracts that fit into that framework.

It's not that complicated (big picture) so I'm always SO confused when fans think teams are pulling one over on a player via contract actions. That literally never happens because it's illegal. But some fans don't see this somehow. (Not you).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

He doesn't owe any of us insight into why or why not he wants to leave. It's his life. People on here are taking it way too personal. 

Yeah, fans are needy. How much does he owe the public.............as much as he thinks he does.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Then the media and the public are free to speculate. I say that without malice. But if he should get special treatment because he's an MVP and one of the 5 most famous faces in sports (to some degree, I agree he should), then he also bears the special responsibility that his words or consequently his silence, speaks volumes more than most. That's just how it is, I'm sorry. 

Trade Rodgers, trade Adams, cut P.Smith after '21. Leaves you with a streamlined roster and cap. '21 and '22 are throw away years anyway. Find out if Love is the guy, hit on another draft or two, spend money as needed.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Isherwood said:

Then the media and the public are free to speculate. I say that without malice. But if he should get special treatment because he's an MVP and one of the 5 most famous faces in sports (to some degree, I agree he should), then he also bears the special responsibility that his words or consequently his silence, speaks volumes more than most. That's just how it is, I'm sorry. 

The media and public speculating has nothing to do with personal shots at that guy. I'm all for speculating what's going on, looking at potential moves, looking at keeping him in Green Bay, etc. I'm specifically talking about the people who turned on him overnight. It's disappointing and unnecessary.