Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

He's well within his contractual rights to threaten to hold out, actually hold out, or demand a trade. 

He's also allowed to show up only when required, put in the minimal required effort to satisfy the contract, and torpedo the season.

Rodgers has plenty of leverage.  Packers understood the CBA when they signed the deal.  He can also just threaten to retire if he's traded to the wrong team, spooking any potential suitors.

The team choosing to build 2021 around Rodgers final season isn't really Rodgers' problem if they choose to leave him out of that thinking and process.

Gute also said he's more than prepared to offer Rodgers a raise/adjustment to his contract after his MVP season in his interview with Peter King.  Why would he do such a thing if the Packers took the hard line approach that a contract is a contract.

Just now, Leader said:

The draft day leak? Why would they possibly leak that?

The theory is that they know this is unrepairable and they want to make Rodgers look like the bad guy so the team doesn't take a PR hit when traded.

Ignoring the facts of leverage and value lost that could come from leaking it.

9 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

In what tangible way does this story hurt the packers? Did they lose cap space? Did they lose draft picks? The front office got embarrassed. Hurt feelings aren't tangible.

It's a huge distraction on arguably the most important day in the offseason, when the whole front office should be focused on the draft and not fending calls from the media about Rodgers not wanting to come back to the team. I don't know what's so difficult to grasp about this. Besides, talking about hurt feelings in a despective way while defending Rodgers... that's rich.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

There's zero, zero chance the TEAM leaked any of this the morning of the draft lol

I could see *A* team be the precipitating event, since it does sound like this got started off by SF/DEN calling Rodgers (which is technically tampering, but the NFL doesn't care.)

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

He's well within his contractual rights to threaten to hold out, actually hold out, or demand a trade. 

He's also allowed to show up only when required, put in the minimal required effort to satisfy the contract, and torpedo the season.

Rodgers has plenty of leverage.  Packers understood the CBA when they signed the deal.  He can also just threaten to retire if he's traded to the wrong team, spooking any potential suitors.

The team choosing to build 2021 around Rodgers final season isn't really Rodgers' problem if they choose to leave him out of that thinking and process.

Gute also said he's more than prepared to offer Rodgers a raise/adjustment to his contract after his MVP season in his interview with Peter King.  Why would he do such a thing if the Packers took the hard line approach that a contract is a contract.

That contract has already been offered according to articles I read. We're beyond this now. This is simply a Rodgers vendetta thing now.

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I could see *A* team be the precipitating event, since it does sound like this got started off by SF/DEN calling Rodgers (which is technically tampering, but the NFL doesn't care.)

If we take at face value that it wasn’t Rodgers camp, and it wasn’t GB (which should be obvious, it’s freaking draft day), then I do think one of those trading teams were the culprit. Sort of an attempt to “force” the issue?

Just now, Packerraymond said:

That contract has already been offered according to articles I read. We're beyond this now. This is simply a Rodgers vendetta thing now.

yeah, i mean we don't know any details of that so it could just be the fluff/restructure type extension.

Point being the Packers want to play ball with Rodgers, so they are acknowledging that he has some leverage here.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

yeah, i mean we don't know any details of that so it could just be the fluff/restructure type extension.

Point being the Packers want to play ball with Rodgers, so they are acknowledging that he has some leverage here.

In Mcginn's article today he said a 2 year extension in the Mahomes neighborhood. So 2/90 would be my guess, on top of the 3 years left.

33 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

To those asking to see "Aaron's side"... he apparently has a few gripes with the organization:

• Cutting Jordy
  • Cutting Kumerow
  • Changing the QB coach
  • Drafting Love
  • Wants more money / guarantees / years

ALL of these were true 3+ months ago when the season ended. He purposefully chose to leak these stories on the day of the draft, which to me means he was trying to hurt the Packers at the worst time possible - in a word, it's malice. That alone makes it impossible for me to side with him - he didn't care at all what these stories could do to our draft, he just wanted his **** sorted. He handled this the poorest possible way imo.

You forgot one.

Kicking a field goal in the NFC Championship game.

That being said, dude is gonna drop some bombs here and there via different sources that never really reach back to him.  It's going to happen right up and through August.  Then he's gonna ride into camp like a white knight and say he didn't know where all the rumors came from.  Then he's gonna play well, we will win 11 games, make the playoffs, bow out and he will be traded.

45 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Just hit me we probably won’t see Rodgers win another SB with us.

He had four cracks at it and didn't play particularly play good in any of them.  He was good enough against Tampa, but not when it mattered in the 4th quarter.  He was terrible the year before against the 49'ers.  He stunk in the Seattle game in 2014, and didn't stand a chance with no receivers against the Falcons.  His only championship win was against Caleb "Freaking" Haney.  

Just now, Packerraymond said:

In Mcginn's article today he said a 2 year extension in the Mahomes neighborhood. So 2/90 would be my guess, on top of the 3 years left.

Holy crap. If that is truly the case, and Rodgers has not already signed, it is definitely not a $$ issue.

In my mind the only leverage Rodgers truly has is choosing to not report if we trade him (without him signing off on it first). But then again, in that case, he can either choose to retire or play for us. Rodgers does have some leverage but I feel like the organization is in more of a position of strength.

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

The draft day leak? Why would they possibly leak that?

So they could get the reaction they got?  A bunch of entitled fans turning on the QB who doesn't want to be in Green Bay anymore.  What exactly do they have to lose by turning Aaron Rodgers into public enemy #1 among fans if he doesn't want to be in Green Bay anymore?

There's one side that said they had remorse about this getting out and it wasn't the Packers.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He had four cracks at it and didn't play particularly play good in any of them.  He was good enough against Tampa, but not when it mattered in the 4th quarter.  He was terrible the year before against the 49'ers.  He stunk in the Seattle game in 2014, and didn't stand a chance with no receivers against the Falcons.  His only championship win was against Caleb "Freaking" Haney.  

Not to slander Rodgers too much because he’s still our best chance at a ring for at least a couple years, but I am at least a little bit curious to see a QB who hopefully plays a little more out of his own head than AR12. Please don’t crucify me for saying this about a guy I think is one of the greatest QBs to ever strap em up

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

IF this is true that he told players not to resign in GB it’s time for the pretty girl to stop getting preferential treatment and trade him to Houston or something. 

Interesting cause Aaron Jones re-signed and mighta got more by leaving