43 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the Pick

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

2 minutes ago, Pool said:

What dont you like about the situation? That its Chicago? Arob,Mooney,Kmet,Graham, montgomery? You could do a whole lot worse as a rookie QB.

I don't trust Nagy.  I don't think he's a very good coach and I think his Y1 success was tied heavily to the fact that he was installing a new offensive system, and there wasn't a ton of tape on him.  And that was when they were 9th in PPG.  And that was with Trubisky playing the best of his career.  I still think the OL is the biggest need.  Maybe you disagree.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

We're talking about players slipping.  With the exception of Rodgers and Watson, none of those players you mentioned really slipped from pre-draft expectations.

Going 11 is considered slipping? 

Interesting. And who gives a ****? 

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You're a Packers fan tho...why would you ever be optimistic about the Bears lol?

Whether or not you feel this is the right team/staff to get the most out of Fields shouldn't have any bearing  on how exciting this pick is for the fanbase and city of Chicago.

Don't be that dude man

Really liked Jaylon Johnson coming out of Utah, thought David Montgomery was going to a high value pick for the Bears, really thought Eddie Jackson was a solid value pick but had no idea he'd be this good.  Just because I don't gush on everything Bears related doesn't mean I'm a hater.  Same reason why I'm cautiously optimistic on Stokes.  I don't love the guy, but the Packers clearly have a type of CB they like.  Didn't like the value of AJ Dillon last year even if the NFL probably valued him higher then I did.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Going 11 is considered slipping? 

Interesting. And who gives a ****? 

We were talking about him as the consensus #2 QB prospect prior to the whole draft process.  And then he "slipped" to #3, and ended up being the 4th QB off the board.  When you look at QBs who fall down the board, historically they've struggled.  Sure, there's the exception but they usually have fallen for a reason.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We were talking about him as the consensus #2 QB prospect prior to the whole draft process.  And then he "slipped" to #3, and ended up being the 4th QB off the board.  When you look at QBs who fall down the board, historically they've struggled.  Sure, there's the exception but they usually have fallen for a reason.

Oh dude, I DGAF about any of that whatsoever. Has no bearing on literally anything, let alone how he will perform in the NFL.

Apparently Justin Fields is incredibly smart too!

From reddit:

Mark Sanchez: Justin Fields scored the highest ever in an aptitude test administered to professional athletes

I'm paraphrasing here, but there is an aptitude test that professional athletes are put through to test their ability to determine the number of repetitions needed for them to "get it", as well as their ability to recall these information after a while. 6500 tests were administered historically, and Justin Fields scored the highest ever at 130. Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen scored a 108 on this exam, and typically anything over 100 is really good.

Source. He was talking about this in an interview with Pat McAfee.

Edit: Here's an example of what a report for this test would look like. I also would like to clarify that Fields scored the highest for the "Learning Efficiency" section, not the Full Scale Score.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't trust Nagy.  I don't think he's a very good coach and I think his Y1 success was tied heavily to the fact that he was installing a new offensive system, and there wasn't a ton of tape on him.  And that was when they were 9th in PPG.  And that was with Trubisky playing the best of his career.  I still think the OL is the biggest need.  Maybe you disagree.

Nagy is a good HC but you won't find many Bears fans who care for his play calling. That said, you also won't find many who disagree that his play-calling may have also been bottle necked by Mitch and Foles either. This is what we're about to find out. 

Fields is Nagy's first hand-picked QB and this will be his 4th year in the league so no more excuses.

Fields isn't walking into the dumpster fire you're making it out to be. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, G08 said:

Apparently Justin Fields is incredibly smart too!

From reddit:

Mark Sanchez: Justin Fields scored the highest ever in an aptitude test administered to professional athletes

I'm paraphrasing here, but there is an aptitude test that professional athletes are put through to test their ability to determine the number of repetitions needed for them to "get it", as well as their ability to recall these information after a while. 6500 tests were administered historically, and Justin Fields scored the highest ever at 130. Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen scored a 108 on this exam, and typically anything over 100 is really good.

Source. He was talking about this in an interview with Pat McAfee.

Edit: Here's an example of what a report for this test would look like. I also would like to clarify that Fields scored the highest for the "Learning Efficiency" section, not the Full Scale Score.

Read a story this morning telling a short story about last weekend when Nagy sat down with Fields and they talked about different formations. Then last night Nagy asked him about a specific one and if he remembered and Fields knew exactly what he was talking about.

That kind of muscle memory will go along way.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, malagabears said:

Now all Pace has to do is gather more assets and trade Fields for Wilson. 😁😁😄😄

Ima guessin' the Wilson pursuit is probably a moot point now.  Fields is probably not all that much farther away from starting than Jones and IMHO he's a good deal closer than Lance.

Fields has some technique issues they'll need to clean up and he'll need to be able to process and make decisions much faster but the tools to be a very good QB are there.

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Zach Wilson was the consensus #2 QB prospect since like November, so yeah now that Fields went from QB3 to QB4 he's f***ed. 100% agree

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

If I was Bears owner I would cut Dalton now so they couldn’t do this stupid plan.  

I seriously doubt they'd release him after guaranteeing him $10 mil $7 mil of which they'd have to eat even if they traded him.  So we can probably discard this completely.

If we hadn't signed Dalton and it's vs Fields vs Foles I might be more in agreement but I can't agree that someone can't learn via the assimilation that comes from watching.

Beyond that Fields also has some technique issues they need to address.  They're very apparent in his videos.  He'll also need to process faster and get the ball out quicker.

If he's all that good immediately and Dalton comes off much worse than expected he'll play sooner than later and what he may lack in preparation may be offset by his being much harder to defend because of his arm and his mobility.  Let's see how it goes.

6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

While he's right that's pretty harsh 😂.  I get everyone is excited but man some things are better left unsaid.  Eddie has a tendency to not mince his words...

Plain spoken to be sure.

Maybe where it comes from is that the players have no emotional ties to Dalton.  No real "ownership" vs the kind they know they will have with Fields.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Eddie's not catching passes from either of them.  His job is to catch the other QBs passes and he needs to step that up again.