43 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the Pick

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

If he is ready week 1 by all means start Fields.

But we don’t need to force it.

Agreed. Nagy and Pace shoould both be feeling safe in their jobs with this move, so hopefully they can be honest and accurate about when he's ready. Would be thrilling to find out he's better right away and ready, but if he needs to sit and learn I hope they would be patient enough to do that. 

As much as I want to see the shiny new toy, I also want him to work when the box comes offf!

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If he is ready week 1 by all means start Fields.

But we don’t need to force it.

I don’t think we should force it either. That’s not what I’m saying. What I am saying is that once he can operate our offense at a level at least comparable to Dalton as a passer that he should be in there, and that isn’t a high bar to clear.

Nagy was jizzing all over himself last night. “OH and by the way he runs a 4.4.” He can’t WAIT to get Fields in there. It’s my oldest’s bday today and we got him an Oculus Quest 2. When he gets home from school do you think he’s gonna want to play Portal 2 on our old PS3? Of course not. 

QB:  Fields, Dalton
RB:  Monty, Cohen, Williams
WR:  Arob, Mooney, draft pick, Miller,
TE:  Kmet, Graham
OL:  Draft pick, Daniels, Mustipher, Whitehair, Ifedi

I would be fine with this.

I think Pace trades back in exchange for mid-late picks.

Just now, JAF-N72EX said:

QB:  Fields, Dalton
RB:  Monty, Cohen, Williams
WR:  Arob, Mooney, draft pick, Miller,
TE:  Kmet, Graham
OL:  Draft pick, Daniels, Mustipher, Whitehair, Ifedi

I would be fine with this.

I think Pace trades back in exchange for mid-late picks.

Legitimately, this offense could be scary good with Fields pretty soon. A legit passer who can attack all 3 levels and who’s a genuine run threat at all times stresses the defense immensely. We need more depth especially at WR, but there is some real talent at the skill positions that could all see a legitimate bump. ARob and Montgomery are dudes. Mooney and Cohen have game changing speed. Williams is a legit player. Kmet’s upside is big, and the defense needing to spy Fields will help get him open (as well as Cohen and Montgomery on angle and circle routes) a lot more. Graham is definitely viable in the RZ.

How much of that is true with Andy Dalton?

I’d like to see OL and WR today. If we come out of today with an OT and Tylan Wallace (my mid round WR man crush) I’m gonna need a towel.

Thank God the Bears have made themselves relevant and interesting again. 

I'm fine with Dalton starting most of the year, as long as he is playing respectably. 

Last time we rushed a QB, i.e. Mitch, it didn't turn out so well.  There were obviously other variables that played into him not succeeding here, but the point here is if you don't need to rush a guy then why do it?

Glennon was awful.  Dalton is way better than him even if he is just an average QB.  I think unless Dalton is Nick Foles 2020 level bad then he should start most of the season.

I know we're all excited for our new shiny QB, but let the kid sit and learn behind for a bit. I think it'll go a long way.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I'm fine with Dalton starting most of the year, as long as he is playing respectably. 

Last time we rushed a QB, i.e. Mitch, it didn't turn out so well.  There were obviously other variables that played into him not succeeding here, but the point here is if you don't need to rush a guy then why do it?

Glennon was awful.  Dalton is way better than him even if he is just an average QB.  I think unless Dalton is Nick Foles 2020 level bad then he should start most of the season.

I know we're all excited for our new shiny QB, but let the kid sit and learn behind for a bit. I think it'll go a long way.

We’ve seen several recent examples of things being done the other way and it going really well though. Just the past 2 years Murray, Burrow and Herbert all had immediate success not sitting. Mayfield was really good his rookie year. Wentz was good right away. Watson started day 1 and was electric. Mahomes sat, but Alex Smith was 11-4 and a pro bowler the year before too. Lamar Jackson early but he was (and still is) also a far less refined passer than Fields.

If Fields is not ready then he should sit - full agree on that - but he shouldn’t sit just to sit. I don’t think Mitch not succeeding was because he played too soon. I think him not succeeding is because he turned out not to be good enough, and I say that as one of the more staunch Mitch supporters around here. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

We’ve seen several recent examples of things being done the other way and it going really well though. Just the past 2 years Murray, Burrow and Herbert all had immediate success not sitting. Mayfield was really good his rookie year. Wentz was good right away. Watson started day 1 and was electric. Mahomes sat, but Alex Smith was 11-4 and a pro bowler the year before too. Lamar Jackson early but he was (and still is) also a far less refined passer than Fields.

If Fields is not ready then he should sit - full agree on that - but he shouldn’t sit just to sit. I don’t think Mitch not succeeding was because he played too soon. I think him not succeeding is because he turned out not to be good enough, and I say that as one of the more staunch Mitch supporters around here. 

Thats exactly where I am.  We can't get tunnel vision and assume that because Mitch played early and failed, that it was because he played early that he failed.  These are different players, Fields had more starting experience and is a different sort of talent.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree if he's clearly better right away then he should play.  I'm just saying I'm fine with not rushing it.

The thing is though out of all those guys you listed above, they didn't really have a guy that was at Dalton's level starting ahead of them, besides Mahomes.

And even though Tyrod Taylor is no starting QB, Herbert initially sat behind him before he got hurt in week 2, which opened up the way for him to have an amazing rookie year.

58 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Legitimately, this offense could be scary good with Fields pretty soon. A legit passer who can attack all 3 levels and who’s a genuine run threat at all times stresses the defense immensely. We need more depth especially at WR, but there is some real talent at the skill positions that could all see a legitimate bump. ARob and Montgomery are dudes. Mooney and Cohen have game changing speed. Williams is a legit player. Kmet’s upside is big, and the defense needing to spy Fields will help get him open (as well as Cohen and Montgomery on angle and circle routes) a lot more. Graham is definitely viable in the RZ.

How much of that is true with Andy Dalton?

I’d like to see OL and WR today. If we come out of today with an OT and Tylan Wallace (my mid round WR man crush) I’m gonna need a towel.

Thank God the Bears have made themselves relevant and interesting again. 

Yep. Alot of versatility to work with. Now it's up to Nagy to utilize it.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

We have to do a great job of protecting Fields while providing more weapons. I could care less about the defense right now. if it turns into a top 15 unit that is completely fine.

We need our offense to be the identify of this team. Let's get more OL and WRs. CB can be a 5th-6th pick.