Grade the Pick  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the Pick

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

We have a lot of recent examples of QBs playing right away. I'd be interested to know the success/failure rate of those who played and those who sat.

But in the modern NFL it seems like athletic QBs can start early. You can incorporate a lot of college-style concepts into the offense to help them adjust.

I personally think in-game reps are more important, especially for QBs. Practice won't teach a QB how to manage a game, deal with pressure, or adjust to the speed of the game.

Very pleasantly surprised by this,  I really like Fields and feel he has as good of a shot as any of the top QBs from this draft. A TON to like about him.  Cue him exploding both knees or a video of him in blackface surfacing, right? 

I think this move now prioritizes OT over WR and CB in round 2, one of the few knocks on Fields is that he's not great at moving around in the pocket under pressure, so hopefully we get someone who's going to be able to start early and improve the OL.  Seems like a lot of good OT to take in round 2 as well. 

29 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Cold blooded.  But Dalton is going to be starter.  Yeah, right.  That will last.  

Exactly. Try selling to the locker room that Andy Dalton is gonna be the starter. Some may exercise more tact than this, but we know they’re all thinking it. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Exactly. Try selling to the locker room that Andy Dalton is gonna be the starter. Some may exercise more tact than this, but we know they’re all thinking it. 

Yeah, we're seeing Fields, and seeing him early.

Anyway, going forward, if you're the Bears, what's your plan for succeeding with Fields?  For me, it would be be realistic about his development; the means if he's not ready and Dalton looks like dog****, not to play him before his time. Likewise, if he's clearly the better QB early in camp, don't overthink it, instead get him all the reps right away.

As far as playcalling, I hope they adapt to his strengths and weaknesses. If he seems like he's taking too long to toss, start out with a simpler read just like they briefly did with Trubisky. OR, if he seems like he's processing faster than the naysayers think, let him take the deep shots he seems to like.

Pretty excited, hope this gives us a real shot to see what Nagy's offense is actually about!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Cold blooded.  But Dalton is going to be starter.  Yeah, right.  That will last.  

While he's right that's pretty harsh 😂.  I get everyone is excited but man some things are better left unsaid.  Eddie has a tendency to not mince his words...

Edited by topwop1

Andy Dalton should start some games. There is 0 reason to rush Fields.

The development plan for him has to be better than Mitch.

Mitch was rushed on to the field because Glennon was horrible, he had no talent on offense, and a lame duck coach. You have to have better talent and a better plan around Fields.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Anyway, going forward, if you're the Bears, what's your plan for succeeding with Fields?  For me, it would be be realistic about his development; the means if he's not ready and Dalton looks like dog****, not to play him before his time. Likewise, if he's clearly the better QB early in camp, don't overthink it, instead get him all the reps right away.

As far as playcalling, I hope they adapt to his strengths and weaknesses. If he seems like he's taking too long to toss, start out with a simpler read just like they briefly did with Trubisky. OR, if he seems like he's processing faster than the naysayers think, let him take the deep shots he seems to like.

Pretty excited, hope this gives us a real shot to see what Nagy's offense is actually about!

There were scheme issues for sure, but a BIG part of the failures with Mitch were his inability to execute on the plus that WERE there to be made. There were weekly big plays there to be made, whether those were 9 routes that were over or underthrown, deep post routes, hell even chain moving 10-yard outs, and he consistently missed on them. Even hitting on half of those with no other differences at all would be a significant upgrade, and I think Fields should be able to do those things immediately. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I want to see Nagy adapt his offense to something centered around Fields' athleticism. Maybe lots of RPO, bootleg play-action, etc. Sprinkle in some shots from the pocket. As he gets more comfortable, you can let Fields operate more from the pocket.

In terms of building the team, I think the Bears should focus on the OL first and then worry about the WR group. Let the guy build confidence so he doesn't feel like he just watched the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan every time he takes the field.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Andy Dalton should start some games. There is 0 reason to rush Fields.

The development plan for him has to be better than Mitch.

Mitch was rushed on to the field because Glennon was horrible, he had no talent on offense, and a lame duck coach. You have to have better talent and a better plan around Fields.

To me the difference is that Dalton can only make the plays Nagy schemes up for him. Fields should be able to make plays on top of that as well, and those are the plays that make an average offense a difference making one. I’ll live with some growing pains for some explosiveness over mundane averageness.

The EJax comment is telling IMO. The opinion of the room is of paramount importance here too. 

• Like 1

I'm beyond thrilled with this pick. I remember watching the Clemson / OSU game and thinking this kid has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove that OSU is not going to be walked over. It reminded me quite a bit of Watson.

We desperately needed a legit QB prospect and some how we got one. This is probably the same feeling I would have had if we drafted Watson.

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

To me the difference is that Dalton can only make the plays Nagy schemes up for him. Fields should be able to make plays on top of that as well, and those are the plays that make an average offense a difference making one. I’ll live with some growing pains for some explosiveness over mundane averageness.

The EJax comment is telling IMO. The opinion of the room is of paramount importance here too. 

If he is ready week 1 by all means start Fields.

But we don’t need to force it.

• Like 1