49ers select Trey Lance, son of former 49er great "Trey Lance's Dad" at #3

Forge

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I tried to get King to answer a question on why he feels that way when clearly no one knew crap, but I got no response lol

Did you see his tweets he sent out of how he got it wrong and tied it back to something Parcells told him about it's about wins and losses? Dude it was so weird lol.

Like it's okay, you missed the mark with the pick. No need to go overboard or try to defend yourself and make it seem better.

9 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I’m listening to Brad Peacock’s locked on 49ers podcast and he said that since the 1 game Lance played in 2020, he was trying to get his hands on nfl playbooks to prepare each day like he would in the nfl for a game. Going through a starting qb’s weekly game regiment. 

He was also working on his accuracy and mechanics all year as well. 

1. that’s awesome and I hope the 49ers gave him a playbook to work off of in January or February.

2. This kid is on a different level than other 20 year olds. 

3. It would really interesting to see him hit the ground running in training camp and blow people away.

Honestly, when I watched his first pro day, I noticed the mechanics. I had previously watched a couple of videos on Lance, and there was some talk about flaws in his throwing motion, so at his pro day, I was looking for those flaws and, in my opinion, he seemed to have fixed it. In all fairness, he was in shorts, no pressure in his face, running a scripted set of throws. Who knows how his mechanics will come out when he has Aaron Donald in his face (if he can get past Daniel Brunskill, aka Daddy). It's easy to revert to bad habits. But I really thought he put in the work during his time off and it's a good sign.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Kiper pretty much trashed our draft but how much is that because he was wrong about us taking Mac Jones.🤣🤣🤣

They're all just petty about it. They could just come out and say "John and Kyle, you really got us!" and move on. But no, they try to double down on them being right about Mac, so they'll trash Trey until he proves them wrong. And when that happens, they'll pretend they were onto Lance all along... hypocrites. These "experts" never talk about how wrong they were. They'll only talk about the few times they were accidentally right.

• Like 1

Fair play to Peter King for actually talking to Kyle and not trying to defend his reporting on Jones being the big favorite. 

And just as I thought, Simms tweet at the time of the trade set all this off. 

Maiocco literally did a complete 180 in less than 12 hours off what Simms tweeted.…How embarrassing? 😂

• Like 3

A week ago Monday—a week after Trey Lance’s second pro day in Fargo, which was staged for the 49ers’ benefit—San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan convened a meeting to work toward a decision that would close the book on the 2021 draft’s biggest story line. And out of nowhere, Shanahan, so to speak, popped the question on the 49ers’ personnel chief.

“Hey,” he asked, “you ready to roll with Trey?”

“You aren’t f------ with me, are you?” John Lynch responded.

“And I don’t say that word,” Lynch said over the phone late Saturday afternoon. “That was out of character for me. But I was very excited.”

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

A week ago Monday—a week after Trey Lance’s second pro day in Fargo, which was staged for the 49ers’ benefit—San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan convened a meeting to work toward a decision that would close the book on the 2021 draft’s biggest story line. And out of nowhere, Shanahan, so to speak, popped the question on the 49ers’ personnel chief.

“Hey,” he asked, “you ready to roll with Trey?”

“You aren’t f------ with me, are you?” John Lynch responded.

“And I don’t say that word,” Lynch said over the phone late Saturday afternoon. “That was out of character for me. But I was very excited.”

The 49ers were so successful in keeping their intentions quiet that even owner Jed York might’ve guessed wrong last week. Indeed, when I asked Lynch whether, as he and Shanahan went to meet with York on Tuesday, he believed his boss thought the pick was Alabama’s Mac Jones, as had been widely speculated, his answer confirmed it.

“I think he did,” Lynch said, laughing. “I think he did. It’s not like we were trying to keep secrets [from him]. We’re really honest. We just wanted to let the process play out. And you never know what can happen, you know?”

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

The 49ers were so successful in keeping their intentions quiet that even owner Jed York might’ve guessed wrong last week. Indeed, when I asked Lynch whether, as he and Shanahan went to meet with York on Tuesday, he believed his boss thought the pick was Alabama’s Mac Jones, as had been widely speculated, his answer confirmed it.

“I think he did,” Lynch said, laughing. “I think he did. It’s not like we were trying to keep secrets [from him]. We’re really honest. We just wanted to let the process play out. And you never know what can happen, you know?”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/05/03/mmqb-matt-nagy-justin-fields-trey-lance-aaron-rodgers-daily-cover

• Like 1

My post-draft thoughts:

Pick: Trey Lance, QB

Grade: B

Why: This is an unprecedented gamble on a player that has an astronomical draft capital cost attached to him, which has to be factored into his grade. The player is an A+ player, but the context of the situation brings that grade down for me because of the immense risk involved. 

2021 Impact: Slight to moderate 

Why: I don’t expect him to have an immediate impact this year, but I do expect him to see the field in meaningful situations. He absolutely cannot sit the entire year. It would do more harm than good. I think the possibility of designed packages or designed situations for him to get into the game would be a good idea. 

My Thoughts: Despite his unprecedented situation, this is the kind of person you gamble on. We have a high character, elite athlete with a rocket arm and high IQ at QB who is only 20. This kind of person does not come around very often and he’s ours. I think our goal is 2020 Josh Allen. The faster we can get him there, the better off we’ll be. If Lance pans out, we could have elite QB play for the next 15 years and he will still only be 35. 

What I Like:

• Commanding an offense
  • High character / high IQ
  • Elite arm strength to all levels of the field
  • Very mobile, strong runner
  • Good decision making
  • Desire to learn and get better
  • Immense room for growth

This is for you @big9erfan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b_6dAK-aRg

I don't know if you watched his pro day or not but I do know you complained about Mac having a weak arm and not being able to drive the ball. Well, that's not an issue with Lance lol.

That is not to say Lance is perfect by any means. His ball placement on some throws was off and he kept missing long when throwing to the right side. But as DJ mentioned, that's more footwork than anything else. I don't think his mechanical issues are all that big of a concern. There were two passes that he made that were just bonkers. One was around the 18 minute mark. 

My goodness look at how salty these two are LOL.

Then questioning why Gore was even involved and Florio saying he didn't know this guy was a QB expert.

Just take your #L and move on please. Simms keeps saying "I thought I knew my friend and thought it was Mac Jones" crap. Simms truly sounds hurt by all of this Ha.

8 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

It sounds like Lance was the guy since January, but at that point there was so much unknown with the roster that they probably weren't sure if Lance was obtainable at #12. I think they also like Mac Jones and probably thought he'd definitely be there at #12. I think it could be construed that Mac was then "the guy" since Lance was out of reach. 

Then, the cap wizardry happened, which allowed the trade to happen. Now Lance is ready to be had. But, some may have still thought Mac could be the guy.

OR

Confirmation bias set in with the media. The media loves it's stereotypes because it makes their lazy takes easier to put out. Shanahan coached Cousins, Ryan, and now Jimmy G, so he must love Mac. The media spoke it into existence, got high on their own supply, and didn't waver even when Shanahan was dropping hints it wasn't Mac. Now, there certainly could've been leaks from the org which gave the impression it was Mac. Hell, it could've even been pushed out of the org by Lynch and Shanahan just to mess with people.

Either way, the media got it wrong and the ones trying to spin it like they got it right or they knew the whole time are exposing themselves. The ones who owned up to missing and buying into the hype are going about it the right way. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

My goodness look at how salty these two are LOL.

Then questioning why Gore was even involved and Florio saying he didn't know this guy was a QB expert.

Just take your #L and move on please. Simms keeps saying "I thought I knew my friend and thought it was Mac Jones" crap. Simms truly sounds hurt by all of this Ha.

I couldn't make it all the way through this video. Florio obviously doesn't like the media being the butt of the joke instead of the team. 

So basically, he's saying he didn't think it was appropriate for the 49ers to stay out of the frey and not correct the reports out there because teams have to set the fans expectations. 

Obviously, he doesn't know anything about expectations of the fans because almost all of us were over the moon it wasn't Mac. 

He didn't like getting played. He likes doing the playing. The shoe was on the other foot and he hated the feeling of it.

• Like 3