49ers select Trey Lance, son of former 49er great "Trey Lance's Dad" at #3

Forge

27 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kyle didn't tell him who he was going to take but Simms said he was going off his conversation with Kyle after the season. Really? Like he had nothing concrete from Kyle or the Niners and still was confident the pick was going to be Jones. Terrible, but he's far from the only one making excuses. Others are doing the same saying the Niners were going back and forth over the weekend. Okay sure! 

We have a built in clap back to all of these fake reporters. 

"49ers will do X"

"Yeah, just like they drafted mac jones, right?"

9 hours ago, JIllg said:

I don't mean to jinx it, but he looked like he was made of tank on tape. Like I was legit worried about a Justin Fields injury. Runs with his ribs exposed and such. Lance hits things and they are the ones getting hit because he is low and compact.

This is the NFL though, not the FCS. Running and exposing yourself to hits isn't ideal, no matter how big/strong you may seem. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Honestly, pay attention to how carefully Kyle used his wording on ESPN with SVP. I don't think they have plans on sitting him. 

They may still keep Jimmy for now but yeah, I think Lance very well may start from day one. 

That would be a big mistake imo.

You risk absolutely nothing letting him sit as a rookie. Then in 2022 you probably get a regular off-season with mini-camps/OTAs to get hands on with him and correct some things. You can't rep throwing mechanics and system nuances over ZOOM. Idk...I get you want to unwrapp your shiny new toy. But let's exercise a little patience here.

Edited by 757-NINER

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

That would be a big mistake imo.

You risk absolutely nothing letting him sit as a rookie. Then in 2022 you probably get a regular off-season with mini-camps/OTAs to get hands on with him and correct some things. You can't rep throwing mechanics and system nuances over ZOOM. Idk...I get you want to unwrapp your shiny new toy. But let's exercise a little patience here.

There will be OTAs this season but the problem is if he doesn't play, that's two years of no live reps. I mean I am perfectly fine with going with Jimmy and sitting Lance, but I understand the other side of it as well. 

Former Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff said on NFLN that he wonders if Lance would be on the Falcons if we passed on him. 

You also see the Panthers & Broncos make their QB moves (Darnold, Bridgewater trades) after we made our move 

Def think Lance wouldn't have lasted long & why we made our move to get him 

25 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Former Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff said on NFLN that he wonders if Lance would be on the Falcons if we passed on him. 

You also see the Panthers & Broncos make their QB moves (Darnold, Bridgewater trades) after we made our move 

Def think Lance wouldn't have lasted long & why we made our move to get him 

Niners made the trade to #3 days after Lance started being linked to the Falcons. Broncos according to Allbright would have taken Lance if he fell to them. But I believe the trade was mainly made to get in front of the Falcons since they were the biggest threat to take Lance.

On 4/30/2021 at 2:14 AM, N4L said:

@VanS come spew some superlatives in this thread just to get us all jacked up on mountain dew

49ers will win a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years because of this selection.  Trey Lance is that good.  He'll be a perennial top 5 QB in the NFL.  Think Steve McNair mixed with Donovan McNabb. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Talk to us @VanS, is it a lock Lance is the ROTY?? Is this the year Hurd stays healthy and ends up being the Niners best weapon???

ROY the very situation specific.  A RB like Najee Harris getting a lot of touches is the most likely to win it.  With that said I was excited for the 49ers to select Lance because of Hurd and Jennings.  Both guys will be problems in the NFL.  And then you got Moseley on defense.  So quite a few Tennessee boys will be making waves in San Francisco. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, VanS said:

ROY the very situation specific.  A RB like Najee Harris getting a lot of touches is the most likely to win it.  With that said I was excited for the 49ers to select Lance because of Hurd and Jennings.  Both guys will be problems in the NFL.  And then you got Moseley on defense.  So quite a few Tennessee boys will be making waves in San Francisco. 

They basically give the OROY to the best rookie QB. Kyler won it a few years ago when it was clearly Josh Jacobs 

I want to get some dough on lance for oroy right now. We are going to get this guy on the field early and often.

He will get the Lamar treatment in year 1. Rotation early, then start him the last 6 games and storm into the playoffs. It doesn't really raise Jimmy's value but so be it

I have been saying hes big Ben mixed with cam Newton. Not sure, but he might be faster than cam? 

Remember when big Ben was undefeated as a rookie? I actually think Lance has some big Ben in him. I said Ben and cam combined. I think the pocket presence and ability to buy time to let it rip is very big Ben esque. Ben is so so so good at the scramble drill. Seems like Trey has great field vision as well 

Steve McNair was before my time and mccnabb wasnt good 

Edited by N4L