49ers select Trey Lance, son of former 49er great "Trey Lance's Dad" at #3

Forge

4 hours ago, N4L said:

It's time for us to get really cutthroat with him and get him to take a pay cut. 

He isn't worth 25 million per season and we are literally the only team that would pay him that. He's probably worth 10m on the open market at this point. Why should we pay him 15m more than he's worth?? 

Let's maximize our window with this rookie contract. Trey protects the ball and is ready to play in year 1. 

Let's take some of the money saved and give it to Ryan Kerrigan. That guy fits in here so well. We need another true DE. Sign sherm. Just really go all in 

Id rather have the cap space than some hope and a prayer of a future pick for Garoppolo. 

Make no mistake about it, Trey will be the starter by the end of the season 

Eh, I don't think you mess with his money. Would it be the smart thing financially? Possibly, but what if Jimmy says screw you guys, you've made abundantly clear your QB is going to be Lance. I'm sitting out until I'm playing for a new team. 

To me the juice isn't worth the squeeze on that one.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

That bootleg PA pass to Jordan Matthews was the reason why we picked him huh? 😝

I think the reason that we picked him is that we're building Kyle a Steve Young. That 94 team is more or less Kyle's platonic ideal from the fullbacks and running backs spreading wide, to the YAC, to the ultimate weapon at quarterback. He described what he wants in a QB - Drew Brees with the legs of Lamar Jackson. It's basically Steve Young. I will put into the record that for a long as Andy Reid pined for a new Brett Favre, Kyle wanted his very own Steve Young. 

1. From a small school where he didn't have passing training, 7 on 7s, qb camps, and wasn't recruited as highly as he expected. Runs a 4.5ish. Wants to truck people. Shimmys and runs through arm tackles in the open field. 

2. Went to a very strong non power 5 school with a history of QB training and coped with their mental processing and got to a high degree of competence with only a short period of work with professional football people.

3. Is very bright and utterly determined to prove he isn't a defensive back or tight end or linebacker. 

4. Is going to sit again, growing the chip and allowing him to get the reps and full mechanics training he needs. Now, I'd still be a touch worried about the accuracy fixing. But they think they have all the Steve Young ingredients, including personal makeup, and a not a lot of bad training to overcome to get him the rest of the way. 

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 1

Tbh, I didn't dive into Lance at all after we made the trade. Not a single snap. My immediate reaction after the trade was Fields. Once I saw the Jones rumors pop up, I didn't want to get my hopes up that it wouldn't be him 😂

So I really don't know anything about the guy. But I can respect the trade up and making a bold move. Won't say anything about the player but feels good to be excited vs annoyed if it was Mac.

Credit to Kawakami for owning up to his mistake of buying into the Jones smokescreen and not trying to make excuses or make BS stories about how Jones was the pick until the last few days. 

This was really 2018 draft all over again. Jones was the Darnold of the draft and damn near everyone was wrong. 

Btw, listening to the presser, I'm not convinced that Shanny doesn't want Lance to play....and play EARLY on. I'm been a proponent of sticking with Jimmy this year but I think Shanny just wants Lance out there to get reps and wants to go with him. I could be totally wrong though, but I think he is waiting until OTAs, TC etc to truly make his final decision. 

7 hours ago, N4L said:

I absolutely love how grounded this guy sounds. Small town kid but the lights wont be too bright. You cant help but be impressed when you hear him talk. He seems incredibly sincere and genuine. 

This is part of the reason I switched to Lance being the pick about 2 days ago. Watching his interviews, I could not help but be impressed with his poise and ability to communicate. Then listened to Cosell and I was more or less sold and certain he was the pick. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Talk to us @VanS, is it a lock Lance is the ROTY?? Is this the year Hurd stays healthy and ends up being the Niners best weapon???

I mean, Justin Fields is going to start from day one and is a great fit for what the Bears want on offense. If he's good, the feeling will be that he's carrying the whole franchise. That's the guy I think is the ROTY. I think Lance is some part of the way through this year after Jimmy G gets injured or he gets enough reps. Lance is going to get good IMO, but it's going to take time. Lawrence is a no for me - resigning two of the worst offensive tackles in the NFL to keep not protecting him is painfully dumb. Maybe Zach Wilson. The Jets have worked that situation up for him well.

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

I mean, Justin Fields is going to start from day one and is a great fit for what the Bears want on offense. If he's good, the feeling will be that he's carrying the whole franchise. That's the guy I think is the ROTY. I think Lance is some part of the way through this year after Jimmy G gets injured or he gets enough reps. Lance is going to get good IMO, but it's going to take time. Lawrence is a no for me - resigning two of the worst offensive tackles in the NFL to keep not protecting him is painfully dumb. Maybe Zach Wilson. The Jets have worked that situation up for him well.

Trust me, I was just having fun lol.

I'm not even sure one way or another if Lance will be the starter next season.

Fields may not start day one either, though I would start him.

Lawrence is already coming with a lot of hype and he WILL be given the keys from day one so he's probably going to be the ROTY. 

Honestly, I think this was the right call. I was fine with any of the QBs in the first (seriously, this could end up being a legendary QB class. Lawrence and Wilson look like great talents, but the jury is still out on their team situations and coaching staffs, while Lance and Jones are going to great situations and established coaching staffs, so should have great starts to their careers. Honestly... feeling bad for Fields...). But I started liking Lance a couple of weeks ago, when the talk about his smarts and personality was starting to come out. I think our team values character, and Lance looks picture perfect for this team. And I felt like he could probably do nearly all that Fields does with his arm, nearly all he does with his legs, and nearly all Mac can do with his brain. Having him grow into Kyle's offense, it's very exciting to watch. It all feels so right, to be honest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

Eh, I don't think you mess with his money. Would it be the smart thing financially? Possibly, but what if Jimmy says screw you guys, you've made abundantly clear your QB is going to be Lance. I'm sitting out until I'm playing for a new team. 

To me the juice isn't worth the squeeze on that one.

The way I see it, he belongs to us for two years. If Jimmy wants to be a free agent at the end of the year, allow him to buy that free agency. I'd like to see a 10m guaranteed for 2021, while voiding 2022, and then we might even get a comp pick in 2023 if he signs a good deal somewhere. The other option is paying him 25m, and trying to trade him, but it's possible he has a bad/injured year, doesn't increase his value, we release him, we don't get any comp pick back, and we didn't save any money at all. I prefer option A. Save 15m on the cap that rolls over to next year, let Jimmy walk with his head up high and his choice of a future destination. The problem with that plan, it's we all know he's going to go to Seattle when they trade Russell Wilson to the Texans or something.

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Trust me, I was just having fun lol.

I'm not even sure one way or another if Lance will be the starter next season.

Fields may not start day one either, though I would start him.

Lawrence is already coming with a lot of hype and he WILL be given the keys from day one so he's probably going to be the ROTY. 

Lol, my fun/sarcasm detector got murdered last night. XD