49ers select Trey Lance, son of former 49er great "Trey Lance's Dad" at #3

Forge

10 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Well, when you're the last good QB we've had up until 2019, I guess you can feel like you can throw your weight around a little.

We haven't had a star quarterback since Aeneas Williams submitted Steve Young's retirement papers. Other than the post-draft honeymoon with Smith and a few moments with Kaepernick, this is the first time in decades it's felt like we may have one. We shall see where Lance falls on the Kaep -> Young spectrum.

Edited by Ronnie's Pinky

Just now, Ronnie's Pinky said:

We haven't had a star quarterback since Aeneas Williams submitted Steve Young's retirement papers. Other than a few moments with Kaepernick, this is the first time in decades it's felt like we may have one. We shall see where Lance falls on the Kaep -> Young spectrum.

He's way closer to Young than he is Kaep. Kaep was all big arm and straight line speed. He had zero touch and he didn't have a HC or an OC that could help him develop into a better QB. Kaep was very limited in his skill set, but the few skills he had were high-end skills. 

Lance is already much more advanced with the nuance of being a QB (line protection, audibles, pre-snap reads, etc.) Lance has more burst in his running ability and is a little more shifty, but no where close to Lamar Jackson shifty. 

Before Lance even steps foot on a 49ers practice field, I'm confident in saying he's already a much better QB now than what Kaep was at his peak.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

2) The NFL clearly didn't like Justin Fields as much as the fans (including me) and media. This is the point where the professionals believe as a group that there is something to a prospect that makes him less of a prospect than his on-field performance would indicate. Fields was great at Ohio State; there's not much debating that. But a bunch of QB-needy teams passed him up, and the one that finally moved on him was the Bears, who are clearly cursed. I don't know exactly what the league's problem is with evaluating Fields, but my guess is that it has a lot to do with how long he held the ball in college, his struggles in the short game, and the difficulty of projecting that sort of a quarterback into NFL offenses. I don't believe any of the stuff about Field's attitude and/or work ethic, and he seems to be plenty smart, but it may be that teams simply couldn't project his "processing speed" from the tape, and that this is such an important trait that not knowing pushed him down somewhat. We shall see. I wish Fields well, but I also despise the Bears, so I'm hoping for a Ryan Tannehill-type trajectory to his career. Stupid Bears.

I think we underestimated his injury history and elongated throwing motion.. He also had a ton of fumbles that first year at OSU

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

He's way closer to Young than he is Kaep. Kaep was all big arm and straight line speed. He had zero touch and he didn't have a HC or an OC that could help him develop into a better QB. Kaep was very limited in his skill set, but the few skills he had were high-end skills. 

Lance is already much more advanced with the nuance of being a QB (line protection, audibles, pre-snap reads, etc.) Lance has more burst in his running ability and is a little more shifty, but no where close to Lamar Jackson shifty. 

Before Lance even steps foot on a 49ers practice field, I'm confident in saying he's already a much better QB now than what Kaep was at his peak.   

Currently, I think the best comp for Lance is Donovan McNabb - essentially, a Steve Young with worse intermediate and deep accuracy and more throwing motion flaws, but a bigger body and an absolute howitzer for an arm. The plan is to further Youngify the McNabb and make it unstoppable, but if you end up with McNabb, it's still pretty cool.

• Like 1

Fields guys, 

Shanahan and Lance are a match made in heaven. They will break football. And I’m usually pretty conservative in making claims. Trust the process, trust the evaluation. Lance is going to be an absolute stud in the NFL. And in my opinion, better than Fields. 

Also, at least you didn’t take a 2nd Round player in the 1st Round three years in a row. Be grateful and fortunate for your blessings. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Simms needs to admit Kyle lied to him and he fell for it. Sad that he’s playing this card of “they changed their mind”. Pathetic, really. 

Kyle didn't tell him who he was going to take but Simms said he was going off his conversation with Kyle after the season. Really? Like he had nothing concrete from Kyle or the Niners and still was confident the pick was going to be Jones. Terrible, but he's far from the only one making excuses. Others are doing the same saying the Niners were going back and forth over the weekend. Okay sure! 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kyle didn't tell him who he was going to take but Simms said he was going off his conversation with Kyle after the season. Really? Like he had nothing concrete from Kyle or the Niners and still was confident the pick was going to be Jones. Terrible, but he's far from the only one making excuses. Others are doing the same saying the Niners were going back and forth over the weekend. Okay sure! 

They were never going back and forth, lol. Keep telling people, every year, turn off your TV/Social Media from football stuff til Draft Day.