49ers select Trey Lance, son of former 49er great "Trey Lance's Dad" at #3

Forge

43 minutes ago, Forge said:

The mechanics need a little fine tuning, which should improve the accuracy some. He's scary, but a lot to love here. I'm stoked.

Shanny and Lynch have more guts than I do

I am not sure how much his mechanics need to be fine tuned. The film on him is old. He has been doing nothing but fine tuning his mechanics and studying film for a year. I said it after the first proday, the release looked smooth and effortless and the ball absolutely jumped out of his hands. 

The main issue will be with the speed of the game. FCS to the NFL is a big jump let alone with a year off. No need to rush him, but I dont see a reason he wouldnt be ready if he got the majority of the first team reps during the offseason. Either way, he needs to get the lamar jackson treatment in year one. Put him in for certain packages every week to get his feet wet and continue to build on it. 

I absolutely love how grounded this guy sounds. Small town kid but the lights wont be too bright. You cant help but be impressed when you hear him talk. He seems incredibly sincere and genuine. 

• Like 2

L M A O 

Someone just sent me that asshat Grant Cohns immediate Lance reaction video 

Ho lee shet its hilarious

He tried to take credit for the Lance pick. As if, he somehow led the charge to make the 49ers change their minds. Without cohn, the niners obviously would have taken mac!!! Thank god we have cohn around, otherwise we would have been stuck with fatboy mccorkle for the next 5 years!!  

I try not to mention that baboonbutt's name around here because I dont want to feed into the bullcrap, but LMAO thats friggen hilarious 

I don't follow college ball but as soon as the trade happened, I started looking at the guys and was immediately drawn to Lance. The athleticism and through-the-roof potential of course but also his poise and the way he seemed to carry himself. Never got that same feeling for Fields and nowhere close with Jones, whom I didn't think was ever a serious option with the resources we gave up. 

So happy we selected him and glad to hear that Jimmy G immediately reached out to him. This gives Jimmy another shot with a loaded roster, hopefully with some special Lance packages thrown in towards the second part of the season as well. I'm thrilled! 

• Like 1

For all the talk about rams, seahawks, and cardinal fans hoping it was mccorkle and praying for 49ers fans to meltdown, I think its equally funny to see their disappointment knowing KYLE SHANAHAN now has his hand picked QB

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Also, the Jimmy G trade market has completely dried up. Can't think of a single team he could fit in with at this point. Unless there's an injury, he'll probably stay here

It's time for us to get really cutthroat with him and get him to take a pay cut. 

He isn't worth 25 million per season and we are literally the only team that would pay him that. He's probably worth 10m on the open market at this point. Why should we pay him 15m more than he's worth?? 

Let's maximize our window with this rookie contract. Trey protects the ball and is ready to play in year 1. 

Let's take some of the money saved and give it to Ryan Kerrigan. That guy fits in here so well. We need another true DE. Sign sherm. Just really go all in 

Id rather have the cap space than some hope and a prayer of a future pick for Garoppolo. 

Make no mistake about it, Trey will be the starter by the end of the season 

• Like 1

I embedded this video to play at a part I think you guys will find hilarious. This PFF guy starts going on a rant about how he needs to hear a legitimate football reason for why Trey Lance went over Justin Fields and how it better not just be for the BS reason that Fields is a black QB... I'd love to see Lance's reaction to hearing that one. There's some other wackiness that follows it where the guy suggests Kyle wanted Lance because if he makes him into a great QB he gets more praise then he would've have with Fields or something. IDK This guy was on one and it seems like he might be inebriated. Wouldn't be shocked if PFF takes this down at some point. It all just comes off weird.

Enjoy-

• Like 2

After getting the Mac Jones crap out my system I'm happy with Lance. Hearing Lance was always their guy and the way he impressed them makes me excited. Not gonna lie I will always link he and Fields for their careers...but I'm good with the pick. Now I can focus on what could be with Lance and our weapons. Whether it was Lance or Fields the guy I am most excited to see catch passes is Aiyuk. Dude has stud abilities and needs a QB to let it rip to him. Can't wait for TC.

4 hours ago, JIllg said:

Right. And my concern wouldn't be mental or processing starting him from day one. I just want him to do the Steve Young thing of repping things a million times and getting a chance to get the muscle memory ready. And I'd like him to start from day one in short yardage and red zone situations. Or at least short yardage.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. I just want him to have a year where he can just rep out all the bad mechanics and traits. Just work on being fundamentally better as a thrower from the pocket. That should be the only goal for him this year.

So I decided to wait until the hour of the shadow (the time for most of you) before I shared my feelings. This year I just decided not to join the circus at ground zero. Too much emotion involved whether people liked the pick or not. Speaking of which, I'm largely indifferent about it. I'm glad it wasn't Mac Jones, but at the time time disappointed it wasn't Justin Fields. I can definitely see the positives with Lance, but the thing that really demoralizes me as a fan with the pick is the lack of accuracy as a passer, and questionable fortitude in the pocket. You combine that with Lance having played limited games, and that was in the FCS...it just seems like a real uphill curve. Obviously Shanahan and his coaches poured over hours, and hours of tape. Obviously he saw something that he liked which elevated him above Fields despite the shortcomings he seems to have as a player. Interesting he was taken 3rd overall just like Steve McNair, another QB who shined at the FCS level, back in 1995. Praying Lance can showcase the same sizzle #9 did in all facets. 

I'll try to TREYlax(?), and remain positive. I'm happy that this offense can be taken to another level with the type of player Lance can eventually be. I'm happy 49ers won't be playing musical chairs next season at QB if Jimmy stays on the roster. I really hated going through that as a spectator. I'm happy that Shanahan and Lynch went for broke and swung for the fences with all the draft capital on a player that looks like he can be amazing if all the pieces fit. 

Anyway, I'm just glad it's all over. I hope the 49ers find a way to keep Jimmy for this upcoming season. It was nice to hear he was proactive, and reached out to Lance to welcome him to the team. Hopefully he helps him develop into a quality QB. For the next pick, I'm praying the 49ers take a corner to help the secondary. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

I think there's no question Jimmy is here for this year at least. The worst thing for Lance would be to to rush him on the field early. He's like the 6 Million Dollar Man (for all you old heads lol) in he needs to built from the ground up. You can't necessarily do that the proper way if he's your starter.