17 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the Teven Jenkins draft selection

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

6 minutes ago, soulman said:

Man, the drafts not even over, we haven't seen what other vets may be released or who else may still be on the market as unsigned FAs and we're fretting over where Jenkins will play?  My guess is that won't be determined 'til summer so why even think about it now?

Pace has given Castillo some decent talent to work with so I can see some improvement happening if they can stay reasonably healthy.

If ARob can see his way to agreeing to an extension that averages around $18 apy they should be able to get something done.  I don't think they want to lose him now that they have Fields.

Haha....I'm just talking, no fret....COVID got me watching the draft with my girlfriend and she is NOT taking it well

• Like 1

Just now, MonserinNC said:

Haha....I'm just talking, no fret....COVID got me watching the draft with my girlfriend and she is NOT taking it well

As a Bears fan? 😕

Or, does she just not want to watch the draft?

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

As a Bears fan? 😕

Or, does she just not want to watch the draft?

She actually went to Ohio for grad school, so mild interest but yeah I meant the draft in general haha....she did not know it was 3 days

Edited by MonserinNC
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:
12 minutes ago, soulman said:

If ARob can see his way to agreeing to an extension that averages around $18 apy they should be able to get something done.  I don't think they want to lose him now that they have Fields.

In the ESPN 3 coverage, which is...profoundly wacky this year, they pointed out that Fields is immediately the best QB Robinson has played with in the pros.

The truth, for sure, but funny stuff. 

I'm worried the ship has sailed but I do think getting Fields helps us alot in Arob's decision on whether to sign an extension or not.  Especially since no player likes playing under a tag. I was worried that he would be used as a trade pawn in the draft (which could still happen) but I'm more confident now that it didn't happen in day 1 or 2.

And yes, Heinz, Fields is def the best QB Arob has played with in his career.  I know I'm getting ahead myself here b/c Fields hasn't taken a snap yet, but I think it speaks volumes to how unfortunate Arob has been when it comes to QBs.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Robinson is likely gone. They’d better plan on replacing him with someone. Jenkins replaces Ifedi but you still need a LT. And the team was demonstrably worse without Hicks the last few years.

That’s before considering they cut the best CB on the team and never replaced him.

All I’m saying is there are a lot of aging players and holes on the roster and there aren’t many picks left. Trading away draft picks is how the Bears got into their current talent bind.

I think you are making a lot assumptions here and the Bears are not in the spot they are from trading away picks.  As I have said numerous times before the careless picking Pace narrative is false and easily disproven.  Pace has been one of the best drafters in the league since he became the GM here.  The Bears are in the position they are in bc they made a bad pick at QB.  That's it, end of story.  They basically traded a first+ for Mack by the time you break it down to the actual pick values.  The picks given up in the Trubisky trade were inconsequential.  The Bears have specific needs, nearly all 22 starting positions locked in and have a lot of great talent on both sides of the ball mostly home grown.  They built the team the right way, that's why the 2 most important positions to address this year were QB and LT, to which the Bears added 2 first round talents. This had been a really good draft so far.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

Easy to imagine that kind of GF resistance.  I'm enjoying my friction free singleness now but it hasn't always been this way.

45 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I'm worried the ship has sailed but I do think getting Fields helps us alot in Arob's decision on whether to sign an extension or not.  Especially since no player likes playing under a tag. I was worried that he would be used as a trade pawn in the draft (which could still happen) but I'm more confident now that it didn't happen in day 1 or 2.

And yes, Heinz, Fields is def the best QB Arob has played with in his career.  I know I'm getting ahead myself here b/c Fields hasn't taken a snap yet, but I think it speaks volumes to how unfortunate Arob has been when it comes to QBs.  

I think once he realized, or his agent got him to realize, the facts about shopping for a new deal under a tight cap with a draft well stocked in WR talent his attitude seemed to change a bit and he immediately signed his tag deal.  I still believe they'll come to an agreement this summer.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

Quite a few players who members here liked got taken off the board in the 3rd round but I would still do the deal Pace did in order to get Jenkins.  If you watch the run on OTs in round two we got the best of them.  Only A grade given for an OT.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, soulman said:

I think once he realized, or his agent got him to realize, that facts about shopping for a new deal under a tight cap with a draft well stocked in WR talent his attitude seemed to change a bit and he immediately signed his tag deal.  I still believe they'll come to an agreement this summer.

That's a solid point and one that didn't even cross my mind.  He's a 28(?) year old vet wanting top-3 money when there's a pretty deep WR class that teams can get for less than a 1/3 of the price over the next 4 years.  Sure, those teams may not be getting a proven commodity but they still have to play within thier (COVID) means this year.

29 minutes ago, soulman said:

Quite a few players who members here liked got taken off the board in the 3rd round but I would still do the deal Pace did in order to get Jenkins.  If you watch the run on OTs in round two we got the best of them.  Only A grade given for an OT.

Man, I know we only came away with two picks in days 1 and 2 instead of 3...... but those two picks that we come away with are massive game changers.

I'm so damn hyped right now.  Like legit hyped.   Not just the typical fandom "because we drafted new players" type of hype.... but LEGIT excited to see what becomes of all of this in the future.  Something I haven't felt in I don't know how long.

I also realize how easily this could all go south but as of right now I'm gonna freakin enjoy it and let it all play out. We can all revisit this in about 3 years.  

I've only had a few hrs of sleep in the last 3 days and I'm just rambling at this point and I don't even care (sorry).  Between this draft and the Packers debacle.....I'm gonna sleep just fine when I finally get a chance to lol.

• Like 2

Of the 3 mocks I posted yesterday I had is taking Fields if we moved up and Jenkins at 20 if we stood pat, so I’m definitely stoked about this pick. I love that Jenkins is open about wanting to just go out and wreck guys. Gimme 9 OL like that.

I do think he’s at RT at least for 2021 both because I don’t think Leno is as bad as most of you and because our OL on the whole is better off with Ifedi as a multi-position backup than it is with Jenkins and Ifedi starting, Leno gone and us not having a swing tackle who can actually play. Next offseason we can decide where Jenkins should stay depending on who else is available to us.

Being able to run behind Jenkins and either Daniels or Whitehair when we need to get a yard gives us something we haven’t had. We’ve been terrible on 3rd and short. The adds of Jenkins and Fields should bolster that significantly. 

• Like 2

Two guys who went in round three we could have used are WR Dyami Brown and OC Quinn Meinerz.  The Broncos picked up Meinerz with a supplemental pick so I can't be too sad about that but I would have loved to have seen Chicago get him.  Another nasty *** OL.

• Like 1

I love the pick, but with trading up twice and giving away picks like they're candy, Pace seems to think if he's not 20-0 this year, he's gone.  He's had a solid draft, but but let's get a few more players.  IMO, WR, DB and D-lineman. 

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Of the 3 mocks I posted yesterday I had is taking Fields if we moved up and Jenkins at 20 if we stood pat, so I’m definitely stoked about this pick. I love that Jenkins is open about wanting to just go out and wreck guys. Gimme 9 OL like that.

I do think he’s at RT at least for 2021 both because I don’t think Leno is as bad as most of you and because our OL on the whole is better off with Ifedi as a multi-position backup than it is with Jenkins and Ifedi starting, Leno gone and us not having a swing tackle who can actually play. Next offseason we can decide where Jenkins should stay depending on who else is available to us.

Being able to run behind Jenkins and either Daniels or Whitehair when we need to get a yard gives us something we haven’t had. We’ve been terrible on 3rd and short. The adds of Jenkins and Fields should bolster that significantly. 

Spot on with me as well.  Leno has never been a great inside run blocker.  He misses too many cut off blocks and flops too much.  But he's always been athletic enough to block outside and downfield on runs to the left and he's a slightly above average pass blocker we can live with for one more year.  The plus may be Whitehair playing next to him making both just a little better as left side team.

I also like the idea of Ifedi as a right side swing guy.  He gives us starting caliber depth at both RT and RG where I expect Daniels to be when he returns.  But lacking depth at OC if Mustipher goes down we may need to move Daniels back to OC or LG if Whitehair has to take over at OC.  So despite having Jenkins I see Ifedi as a very valuable reserve.  Wish we had another like him for the left side.

We might all wish for more picks but to be honest getting two players we coveted where we got them is damn good work so far.  Other than WR were really aren't lacking bodies to compete at other spots and for the most part the starting spots and DL rotations are pretty well set. If Pace can dig up another speed WR in round five again like he did with Mooney I'd give his entire draft and A grade without the 6th round.

10 minutes ago, Bowler1215 said:

I love the pick, but with trading up twice and giving away picks like they're candy, Pace seems to think if he's not 20-0 this year, he's gone.  He's had a solid draft, but but let's get a few more players.  IMO, WR, DB and D-lineman. 

I think the DL rotation is fairly well set with Goldman returning, the addition of Blackson, and bringing back Mario Edwards.  Probably only 5 DL on the game day roster anyway.  We'll see more vets being let go post June 1st and we always manage scavenging at least one DL UDFA.

DB has a lot of quantity but questionable quality.  We aren't gonna be able to fix all of that now so some guys are gonna have to step up and earn their next contract.  With the exception of Johnson and Jackson most of them are on one year deals.  Hopefully that's motivator.

There's still a ton of WR left undrafted and we did pickup up Goodwin to add to Wims and Ridley.  Who know what they'll do about Miller but somehow I don't think they just release him. He's worth at least a 4th round pick and if we can't get that for him now I'd keep him around.