17 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the Teven Jenkins draft selection

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

38 minutes ago, Bowler1215 said:

I love the pick, but with trading up twice and giving away picks like they're candy, Pace seems to think if he's not 20-0 this year, he's gone.  He's had a solid draft, but but let's get a few more players.  IMO, WR, DB and D-lineman. 

Their approach since the end of the season certainly seems to suggest they liked what they saw from Kindle Vildor at the end of last season quite a bit while he was filling in for JJ. He wasn’t a crazy standout but he seemed to hold his own even as a rookie, and if the team is comfortable with him getting starter reps if Trufant can’t stay healthy then that at least explains what they have (and haven’t) done at the position this offseason. Our new DC was his position coach last year and I’m sure had a lot of input on what we need at the position after letting Fuller go. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Dude, you can't expect to fix everything in one offseason. That's not realistic unless you get lucky like the Saints did a few years back.

It's not as if pace is trying everything to build around a suspect prospect like he did with Mitch.  I get what you mean here but let's not make the mistake of comparing Mitch to Fields in any capacity either because they're nothing alike.  He's trying to build around a legit prospect (for lack of a better word).

I'm still pissed about Fuller too and I'm still worried that it'll come back to haunt us, but we need a real offense and the building process always starts with 3 simple ingredients;  1) good offensive coaching. 2) A good QB. 3) Good OL--esp at OT.

Now I get the cause for concern about Nagy, so #1 may still be a question (I'm with you on that).  But #2 and #3 are well on their way and we should all be excited about it.

Look at it this way. We had the 20th pick and still got the #2 QB in the draft without having to give up multiple FRPs.

I don’t expect all the holes to be filled in one offseason. I’m just pointing out that there will be a lot of needs and not a lot of future picks or young prospects to step in. That’s what happens when you constantly trade away picks. It’s already happening this year at CB. This will happen again in ‘22.

6 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Everything about these two picks couldn’t have gone better. 

week 1 Oline.  Leno, Daniels, mustipher, Whitehair, Jenkins ?

or Leno, Daniels, Whitehair, Ifedi, Jenkins?  

That second option is 3 second rounders and a former 1st rounder....not to say that means a ton but the investment is there.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I don’t expect all the holes to be filled in one offseason. I’m just pointing out that there will be a lot of needs and not a lot of future picks or young prospects to step in. That’s what happens when you constantly trade away picks. It’s already happening this year at CB. This will happen again in ‘22.

What are the chances that a 3rd round or 4th round corner would come in and have a good year replacing Fuller? 1%?

13 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

What are the chances that a 3rd round or 4th round corner would come in and have a good year replacing Fuller? 1%?

We have a starting RB drafted in the 3rd round, a starting FS drafted in the 4th, a starting WR drafted in the 5th, a starting LT drafted in the 7th, etc. I know success with those picks is less likely, but it's the type of value you need to find to win in the NFL. The relatively low success rate of 3rd+ round picks is why you want more of them, not less.

7 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Everything about these two picks couldn’t have gone better. 

week 1 Oline.  Leno, Daniels, mustipher, Whitehair, Jenkins ?

or Leno, Daniels, Whitehair, Ifedi, Jenkins?  

Or as I feel it should be-

Jenkins - Daniels - Mustipher - Whitehair - Ifedi

Play bully ball, at least you have an identity. Leno flopping like a fish when he tries to cut the EDGE is just a downright disrespectful lack of effort.

23 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

We have a starting RB drafted in the 3rd round, a starting FS drafted in the 4th, a starting WR drafted in the 5th, a starting LT drafted in the 7th, etc. I know success with those picks is less likely, but it's the type of value you need to find to win in the NFL. The relatively low success rate of 3rd+ round picks is why you want more of them, not less.

I don’t think anyone would argue that more picks isn’t better (especially here on a draft message board) but sacrificing a few of those to get top tier talents like Fields and Jenkins is acceptable. It’s definitely not the approach we’d want to take every year though. That said, even after 2 trade ups this year we are still on schedule to have 6 picks in this draft. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

But how often does that happen? IMO this isn't some skill Pace has, where he's playing chess and everyone else is playing checkers. It's simply pure luck and I'd much rather have Teven Jenkins than whoever they'd take in round 3.

I could argue that the relatively high success rate of 1st and 2nd round picks, specifically earlier in those rounds, is why you want more of them, not less.

12 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

But how often does that happen? IMO this isn't some skill Pace has, where he's playing chess and everyone else is playing checkers. It's simply pure luck and I'd much rather have Teven Jenkins than whoever they'd take in round 3.

I could argue that the relatively high success rate of 1st and 2nd round picks, specifically earlier in those rounds, is why you want more of them, not less.

Seems like it’s about 1 mid-round pick per year that turns into a starter.

But let’s say the success rate is 10% - you’re getting a starter once every 2 years if you keep your picks. These cheap starters help you manage the cap and replace aging players. If you keep trading them away, you reduce your shot at finding another Eddie Jackson or Darnell Mooney.

I’m not suggesting trading down as a rule. I just worry that every year Pace identifies a prospect he must have and he gives picks away in the process. And it doesn’t always work out. Trading up here and there is fine. Trading up as a rule is not.

I’m not sure I understand your last statement. Pace isn’t accumulating extra 1st and 2nd round picks. He’s just moving up within the round. You could argue trading up increases the chance of drafting a quality player, but we have several recent examples that show otherwise.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Excellent video on OL technique and what Jenkins does well...also love the comparison at the start of the video 😂 

I have a good buddy that said Jenkins looks like Quentin Nelson's little brother - and he isn't happy about it. Lol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Seems like it’s about 1 mid-round pick per year that turns into a starter.

But let’s say the success rate is 10% - you’re getting a starter once every 2 years if you keep your picks. These cheap starters help you manage the cap and replace aging players. If you keep trading them away, you reduce your shot at finding another Eddie Jackson or Darnell Mooney.

I’m not suggesting trading down as a rule. I just worry that every year Pace identifies a prospect he must have and he gives picks away in the process. And it doesn’t always work out. Trading up here and there is fine. Trading up as a rule is not.

I’m not sure I understand your last statement. Pace isn’t accumulating extra 1st and 2nd round picks. He’s just moving up within the round. You could argue trading up increases the chance of drafting a quality player, but we have several recent examples that show otherwise.

Of course mid and late rounders work out sometimes, but what are the chances they work out? 10%? Call me crazy but I'd rather move up 9 spots in the 1st than stand pat & have my 4th round pick. 

Would you rather have the 11th pick or 20th pick? That's my point

I don’t love that we are down a bunch of picks. We need to find a way to generate more picks.

That being said, Jenkins is a stud and a steal.

The only OT that made it to 52 was Dillon Radunz

Teven Jenkins and a 5 > Radinz and a 3

• Like 2