Round 2: Pick 62; Josh Myers, C Ohio State

18 hours ago, Les Punting said:

. There's lots to like about his game and his future potential but, at this point, it looks like Gute may have passed on a superior player.    

Honestly none of that is remotely important.   There will always be good players you passed on, its extremely rare a player you take ends up being better than everyone else on the board.

We took Myers at pick 62 which is virtually round 3 and got a player who looks a legitimate starter from Day 1.  Its very early days but he probably looks better than Linsley did at this point in his career and he ended up one of the league's best. At this stage Myers looks a very good pick. That's the only thing of any relevance. 

• Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 3:31 AM, Isherwood said:

Just throwing this in there, y’all can decide what it’s worth to you:

Green Bay clearly valued Myers the person as much as the player. If they had him and the Oklahoma center roughly around the same grade, maybe Myers’ personality won out. Not suggesting that the other guy has a bad personality or is anything less than a great guy, but they specifically raved about the future LEADER they saw in Myers. Right or wrong, sometimes you just get a feeling about a guy? Maybe they thought he’d handle the game within the game better? I don’t know. I won’t pretend I have Myers over Humphrey or Dickerson, but I wouldn’t consider it some kind of miss at all. 

You can’t be too bad with a starter at pick 62. If you play draft hindsight, you’ll always be disappointed when you see you passed on the 1-2 all pros that went round 4/5

On 10/23/2021 at 5:39 AM, mikemike778 said:

Honestly none of that is remotely important.   There will always be good players you passed on, its extremely rare a player you take ends up being better than everyone else on the board.

We took Myers at pick 62 which is virtually round 3 and got a player who looks a legitimate starter from Day 1.  Its very early days but he probably looks better than Linsley did at this point in his career and he ended up one of the league's best. At this stage Myers looks a very good pick. That's the only thing of any relevance. 

We're obviously talking about centers specifically, not "everyone else" on the board. Why the strawman?

None of this is important unless you think objectively tracking/reviewing the 20 or so prominent moves a GM makes in a given offseason is a legitimate area for discussion on the teams message board. Apparently you don't. Fine.

Grading the GM is a popular activity among every fanbase in every sport, whether you think it's relevant or not. There have probably been 500 posts about how TT goofed taking King instead of Watt. Are those out of bounds? It's no different than grading players on their performance, which might be the most common activity on this board. 

Are you sure your objection isn't related to the conclusion, that the GM may have made a mistake? 

On 10/22/2021 at 2:29 PM, R T said:

Does every team in the NFL run the same blocking scheme?

No they don't, at least not the same mix percentages.... they all have a little bit of everything, but one team might be 60% wide zone .. while another 65% power, but also all the others different percentage...

My understanding is one thing that the Packers loved about Myers is that he did a freaking ton of successful reach run blocks, which are among the toughest... where Humphrey was more known for elite pass blocking, and going to the Chiefs whom have passed the ball 64.99% of the time, 6th most in the NFL could be helping him, plus having stud LG Thuney next to him could be helping.

Also I wonder how much style effects PFF grading, as Chiefs rookie RG selected in the 6th round after Packers selected OL Laden and LB McDuffie also has a top 15 rookie grade... and yet watching NFL Live today, they talked a heck of a lot about QB Patrick Mahomes taking hits and sacks and such, often times from the OTs getting beat... but is the fact the OTs getting beat before the OGs helping their grade? 

Where Packers help the OTs so they're aren't the ones getting beat and then the interior does... and does that lower their grade?

Packers pass it 58.75% of the time, 17th most. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 4:25 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

He's played 258 snaps of rookie ball. Any read on Myers that isn't "I don't have enough info to make a call, seems like he's doing well." is just missing the boat. 

You on Gary halfway through his rookie year:

"I'm just worried this was a busted evaluation of a prospect" 

"I'm not sure his future isn't a 5 or even a 3"  

"He doesn't look like a raw rookie figuring things out. He looks like a scrub"   

"Rashan Gary sucks right now"  

None of that really jibes with "I don't have enough information to make a call", does it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Les Punting said:

You on Gary halfway through his rookie year:

"I'm just worried this was a busted evaluation of a prospect" 

"I'm not sure his future isn't a 5 or even a 3"  

"He doesn't look like a raw rookie figuring things out. He looks like a scrub"   

"Rashan Gary sucks right now"  

None of that really jibes with "I don't have enough information to make a call", does it?

All of which always carried the caveat earlier in the conversation that we were only talking about his production at the given moment in relation to other starters. Nobody was trying to prognosticate his future.

Judging edge rushers in the moment is easy, did they get to the QB? In the moment the answer to that was a resounding "No".

If you'll notice the conversation around Gary changed as the year went on from, "He looks like he sucks completely," to "The production isn't there but the technique is getting better, maybe next year he'll turn into something with another step forward."

And finally, he was the #12 pick and he has 10.5 sacks in 2.5 years. Yes, he's playing well now, but this is hardly a home run pick at the moment.