NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Let’s be honest, a 90 man roster is probably overkill even in a season without and extenuating circumstances. 

That I can probably agree on.  Those last 10 players probably have less than a 1% chance of making the team, and not even much higher to make the practice squad.  90 would be an acceptable number if they expand the rosters and the practice squads permanently to somewhere near 70 combined.  

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

That I can probably agree on.  Those last 10 players probably have less than a 1% chance of making the team, and not even much higher to make the practice squad.  90 would be an acceptable number if they expand the rosters and the practice squads permanently to somewhere near 70 combined.  

It looks like they are going with 69 on the active roster plus practice squad. Add to that the PUP and IR players and we can expect to see over 70 players under contract with the team for most if not all of the year.

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

Personally I think the 90 man roster is fine for OTAs and mini camps, but it should get trimmed to 75 players for training camp. 

The NFL and the NFL Players Association are nearing agreement on a set of health and safety protocols for the upcoming season to cope with the coronavirus. Beyond that, there’s still the matter of how to pay everyone.

The NFL is going to lose revenue as multiple teams have already announced they won’t have fans at games this year. Projections of the shortfall range from $2 billion to $5.5 billion, with multiple league and NFLPA sources whom I’ve spoken with using $4 billion as a working estimate.

(Jason) Fitzgerald said that were he in charge, he’d spread the salary cap losses over the next three years. His argument is that spending in the CBA is already broken down into three-year windows, making it a reasonable compromise for the owners without making the pain too acute for players and personnel departments.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/7/23/21335270/nfl-salary-cap-revenue-loss-coronavirus

Spreading a loss of 4 billion over three years is still over $41M per team each year. That would be tough for some teams.

I can't remember exactly the percentage of revenue that goes toward the cap, but for now I'll use 50% as a working number since the losses are already an estimate anyway. That means a ~$21M cap hit in each of the next three years. Factor in that the cap would likely otherwise be going up $10M each year as it has done for the last several years and it looks like a salary cap next year that is ~$10M smaller than it was this year.

Then in '22 it would be back to about what it was this year followed by a $10M increase in '23.

But then the fourth year would see an increase of about $30M -- the normal $10M plus the $20M per year covid hit going away..

It would be interesting to see how Brziniski structures things. 

On 7/24/2020 at 10:06 AM, vike daddy said:

The NFL team formerly known as the Redskins will go by the Washington Football Team for the 2020 season, giving the organization time to choose a new, full-time name.

They should have made it "Futbol Team" and confused the heck out of everyone. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Interesting. I wonder how many more opt out?

I imagine there will still be quite a few, especially those that may have families and those that may have underlying conditions, such as that one guy that had had non-hodgkins lymphoma about a decade ago.

• Like 1