NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

47 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

My goodness...the Washington NFL franchise is just an awful mess!  Good luck Coach Riviera.  You deserve better!

Considering all the pure speculation that was circulating on Twitter yesterday, it was almost a letdown.  I actually don't find the allegations to be all that surprising.  Disappointing, yes, because I'd expect better from teams in this day and age, but not surprising  

15 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Considering all the pure speculation that was circulating on Twitter yesterday, it was almost a letdown.  I actually don't find the allegations to be all that surprising.  Disappointing, yes, because I'd expect better from teams in this day and age, but not surprising  

This has apparently been going for some time and it was an open secret inside Redskins Park.  That means pressure from the top of the organization was likely placed on the women employees to NOT pursue their accusations legally or make them public.  This, I suspect, will land on Snyder's lap. 

We would be naïve to think that that the Washington franchise stands alone in this behavior.  I am sure that sexual harassment and abusive behavior happen inside every institution and business in America.  In this day in age, silencing the accusers is ethically problematic, and in the long run, more destructive to the entity being accused. 

While it appears that some of the notable players are making their voices heard on Twitter, I still don't think the 2 sides are all that far apart.  I don't think they'll fall into the trap that MLB did, although it may sound at times that they are very similar.  

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

We could see quite a bit like this.  I was sort of thinking yesterday, after I saw the "highlights" from the Yankees-Mets intrasquad game, that we could see some players go this route to mitigate the risk:

Minnesota-Vikings.jpg

The only downside to that is the way some of these guys will be breathing after a long series or late in the game and something like that may make it more difficult to breathe.

Those things (and even standard masks) can get hard to breathe in/hot sometimes. They're going to get hot & sweaty and could reduce effectiveness as they're saturated in spit/sweat/goober/etc.

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Players have been known to change socks during a game. It won’t be difficult to change a mask. 

It's not at all but a 12-play, 87 yard drive that chews up 7 minutes of clock will make those things an absolute pain in the butt to keep on and breathing well enough especially with a material like that. Then you have the risk of them going into eyes during plays or falling off the nose/mouth during a play which will make it a moot point.

Those full shields are 100% the way to go when it comes to football.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

80 man roster to start training camp. 

players will need to be cut before they are even seen. 

It's unfortunate, but i most likely they didn't have a chance anyway.  I think the Vikings will need to cut 7 and we could probably look at the list and know who most, if not all,  of those 7 are.

Anybody think a team would keep some lower draft picks unsigned do they don't count against the roster limit? Those guys can't sign with other teams. The UDFA are exposed. I don't think it is likely that a team would give up on the development of draft picks in camp in order to get a better look at UDFAs but it isn't out of the question for some low round picks that teams had ranked the same as UDFAs they signed.

If a team was to do something like that I would assume they would only hold off on signing the draft pick for maybe a week while they sorted out which of the UDFAs they want to cut loose. It would give the team a chance to see those UDFAs but it also might upset the low round pick that has to miss a week of camp. It is weird times that I even have to consider something like that but it is also a tough pill to swallow cutting a guy without even seeing him after giving him a signing bonus.

I don't think the drafted player...and in turn, the NFLPA would be too fond of such a maneuver, even though it's certainly a possible outcome.  I think the coaching staff and GM probably already have a decent idea of what the UDFAs can do, even if they haven't seen them in person and haven't been able to get their hands on them.  There are some of those UDFAs that had virtually no shot to make it anyway (i.e.the 2 Jakes, Lacina and Bargas), so they might be the first ones to go.  I can envision that they might do something like that with a couple of the late round guys, but no more than 2 or 3, maybe guys that are competing for the same spots.  It is an unfortunate consequence, but it has to happen.