NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/06/panther-trade-for-stephon-gilmore/

Carolina gave up a 2023 6th round pick for him. I know he's 32. I know he wants a new contract. But given that we gave up a lot more for  DE that played 5 games for us, and that we have an obvious need for talent in our secondary, I would've been happy to give up a 2023 5th for him. Heck, I'd throw in Rashod Hill too...

13 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/06/panther-trade-for-stephon-gilmore/

Carolina gave up a 2023 6th round pick for him. I know he's 32. I know he wants a new contract. But given that we gave up a lot more for  DE that played 5 games for us, and that we have an obvious need for talent in our secondary, I would've been happy to give up a 2023 5th for him. Heck, I'd throw in Rashod Hill too...

If the salary cap didn’t exist, I’d have given up more too. 

And that’s only IF he’s healthy. Currently he’s on the PUP, so, that’s a decent sized if. 

Edited by SemperFeist

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If the salary cap didn’t exist, I’d have given up more too. 

And that’s only IF he’s healthy. Currently he’s on the PUP, so, that’s a decent sized if. 

Either way, he won't be playing against the Vikings.  

I, for one, am truly not surprised of any of that coming out of Gruden.  I agree with Semper in basically saying "Good riddance to bad rubbish."  Florio should have called Gruden Meathead instead of calling Tice that, because that's basically what he is.

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I, for one, am truly not surprised of any of that coming out of Gruden.  I agree with Semper in basically saying "Good riddance to bad rubbish."  Florio should have called Gruden Meathead instead of calling Tice that, because that's basically what he is.

Given the culture around football in general, homophobic and  misogynistic comments are disappointing but certainly not surprising. Especially from someone with Gruden’s persona. 

But the racism surprises me. In a league where the majority of players are social minorities, you would think that his true nature would have been found out a long time ago. 

12 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Given the culture around football in general, homophobic and  misogynistic comments are disappointing but certainly not surprising. Especially from someone with Gruden’s persona. 

But the racism surprises me. In a league where the majority of players are social minorities, you would think that his true nature would have been found out a long time ago. 

He was pretty good at hiding it.  But, you would think that he would have slipped at some point along the way so that people would have known...however, he does cross over into that "good ole boy" territory like some in the past, so maybe he did and people just laughed it off.  

20 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I haven't followed the situation so I am almost certainly missing something, but my knee-jerk reaction is that I doubt Gruden is racist. I gather he said something that denigrates a race.  My guess is that Gruden said it to denigrate someone, not because he is racist. I bet he has denigrated almost everyone he has ever known.

39 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I haven't followed the situation so I am almost certainly missing something, but my knee-jerk reaction is that I doubt Gruden is racist. I gather he said something that denigrates a race.  My guess is that Gruden said it to denigrate someone, not because he is racist. I bet he has denigrated almost everyone he has ever known.

People who are not racist don’t use racist language to denigrate someone. 

• Like 2