Oof da!, It's the UDFA thread

vike daddy

29 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

I don't think we're a hot destination considering our depth in spots

I think there are few spots that would be open for competition that would interest UDFAs

WR3-5

TE 3

S 3-4

QB 3 (Mond=2). 

G/C behind Bradbury, Cleveland, Davis, and probably Cole. 

If I recall the Vikings have a history of not really caring about physical profiles when it comes to UDFAs. Forget if it was Spielman or Jamaal Stephenson but they said they are more focused on adding college free agents that can contribute (as depth and special teams). Adding HWS projects that weren't attractive enough to get drafted are almost pointless to bring in and try to develop (my words, not theirs). 

That's why I'm not surprised they've brought in guys like Philyor and Borland. I'm sure they're bringing them in because their tape stood out despite their athletic testing being dismal. 

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I can live with Patterson, he did not have a good season this past year.  15-22 this past season but does have a big leg and has a few game winners for them.  I would be ok with Patterson but liked Jose more off of his recent success and better season.  Watkins was the best WR on UAB so not super excited about Mitchell.

Where are you getting that he has a big leg? Piece i read said he was average leg power, long of 56 but had missed quite a few over 50 and several over 40 too.

How many players are allowed on the practice squad this year?  I thought it went up but not completely sure.

I also have no idea if these guys were signed but heres guys I think we could still use

WR - TJ Vasher / Rico Bussey Jr

RB - Javian Hawkins

DT - Lorenzo Neal

2 hours ago, the_cote_kid said:

Where are you getting that he has a big leg? Piece i read said he was average leg power, long of 56 but had missed quite a few over 50 and several over 40 too.

He hit a 56 yarder and I believe it was a game winner.  Sure he missed a lot but also attempted a lot.

Jose was 6-8 from 50+ over his entire career, 5-6 over the last two years.  Patterson was 9-18 over four years in college, sure missed a lot but he has a leg come on, not like it is that easy to make a 50 yarder!  17-23 from 40-49 is not bad either.  

Sure it is not the best kicking leg in the world but find me 5 guys in college with better deep kicking legs, you will not.  But yeah that is not his best suit and needs to improve on it and his accuracy.  In 2019 though was 23-25 overall and and 5-6 from 50+ which is pretty damn good.  Considering Jose is gone to the Super Bowl champs, is great Patterson was even around.  

5 hours ago, the_cote_kid said:

yeah, i've read the same. nothing special on kickoffs either.

not a good year for kicker selection, it appears.

42 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Yeah sure that might be why he went undrafted but the dude is a good enough athlete.  He can get yards after the catch, plays with outstanding energy and passion, has a great personality.  Dude is a nice pickup.  His confidence and energy was a massive reason for Indiana's improvement over the past few seasons.  I am glad to get him, and like his highlights show, if you can make acrobatic catches like he can, who cares how much you bench or your vertical.  PS a 4.57 49 is not awful.  Clearly a RAS score is greatly dependent on ones height and weight compared to other guys that same size it seems.  

5be306fbbac5e.image.jpg

Vikings apparently signed Jordon Scott from Oregon as a UDFA.  Honestly he is better than a lot of the "big" NT types that got picked ahead of him, early in his career he really stood out and has trees for legs.  Perfect project developmental guy if Pierce does not work out as the teams run stopper.  Awesome signing!  The guy had 13 TFLs and 3 sacks in four years, nothing great but not easy to do for a dude that large, again his legs are freaking huge, is not 350 or nothing but still he showed elite level burst early in his career for a thick big dude.

• Like 1

It was always going to be a weak class of UDFAs because of the lack of players available for the draft to begin with, so anyone that doesn't get drafted in this draft, likely may not have even gotten signed as a UDFA in a normal year.  Add in the fact that the Vikings have a fairly deep roster point already at many positions, that makes it even more unlikely that any of these will have an impact.  I do like having guys named Tuf and Whop though.  Can't really beat that.