2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

11 hours ago, Leader said:

Kiper just tabbed Watson to GB @ 22 in his 4th ESPN mock.

Can't see it.  Great athlete but too inconsistent as a WR.  Need someone more established that can handle the volume right out of the gate.  If we had a decent WR room established and could wait on him I could see it.   

He might be the best of the bunch in a couple of years, but I think you need a go to guy for Rodgers first and then perhaps follow up with Watson. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

You might be thinking Walker, but I have to say, if the Packers traded up, the guy I'd be looking at is Kyle Hamilton. Like Walker, he's 21 (just turned last month) and I just see that guy being a force in the middle of our defense with his size/speed combination.

My original comment was 'Gutes will do what is the unthinkable right now on draft night' and from the responses it is still 'unthinkable' by most on this board.  

Jake Morley -   "Had a rival MVC head coach tell us that Christian Watson is the best FCS receiver his team has played against since Randy Moss was at Marshall (then DI-AA). Pretty high praise"

Jim Nagy talking about Watson after his senior bowl invite.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

My Final WR Rankings:

Tier 1:

#1 Jameson Williams Alabama: He has rare explosion and acceleration, the kind usually saved for guys 5'8, but he's 6'2.
#2 Chris Olave Ohio State: Evertything he does is just smooth, Marvin Harrison-esque.
#3 Treylon Burks Arkansas: fast, long, a bull after the catch, just polish him up on route running and you have a stud.
#4 George Pickens Georgia: Competes, elite body control and ball skills, H/W/S
#5 Garrett Wilson Ohio State: Gumby like agility, not as technical as Olave, looked really unnatural catching at times.

Tier 2: 

#6 Drake London USC: Huge catch radius, but concentration drops, doesn't separate.
#7 Jahan Dotson PSU: Can he play outside? Best ball skills in the draft, but press coverage eats him up.
#8: Christian Watson ND State: More athlete than receiver right now, but highest ceiling of any of these guys

Tier 3: 

#7 Skyy Moore Western Michigan: Huge production, good at everything, great at nothing, size keeps him out of tier 2.
#8 Alec Pierce Cincinnati: Vertical burner, unrefined everywhere else, high ceiling if he can become a route runner. 

Tier 4: 

#9 John Metchie Alabama: Productive slot, would be fringe tier 2/3 if healthy and could play outside. Best slot only prospect.
#10 David Bell Purdue: Love the tape, testing numbers say he's below fringe. Still worth a shot in rd 3-4.  
#11 Jalen Tolbert South Alabama: Older prospect drops him down a bit, another vertical threat, not the athlete Piece is. 
#12 Khalil Shakur Boise State: Great ball skills, nice YAC player, just can't see him ever winning outside
#13 Calvin Austin Memphis: Explosive gadget and ST return type. 

Tier 5: 

#14 Samari Toure Nebraska: Produced everywhere, plus athlete, potential day 3 steal, bit too old to be tier 4. 
#15 Bo Melton Rutgers: Another potential day 3 steal, Melton chose to stay close to home at Rutgers, might have been a day 2 guy if he left.
#16 Romeo Doubs Nevada: One of the biggest fallers I've had, no helium in the post-season process
#17 Kyle Phillips UCLA: Going to play 8-10 years as a slot, just not an elite one. Amendola type.

Tier 6: (Fringe draftable guys, high priority FA's): Erik Ezukanma Texas Tech, Velus Jones Tenn, Tyquan Thornton Baylor, Danny Gray SMU, Justyn Ross Clemson, Kevin Austin Jr ND, Josh Johnson Tulsa, Tanner Connor Idaho State, Jalen Nailor MSU

Thank you very much!  Absent a trade up, I'll take....Pickens, Pierce and Austin.

If Austin JR is there in the 6'th or later, I'm taking him too.

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The trade I most expect, is for the Packers to trade their 53 and 92 picks for pick 41 or 42 (Seattle or Indy). Moving up high in round two seems likely to sit right in the middle of a WR run that I think comes between picks 28 and the (now traded) pick 53.

Green Bay and Seattle have history of trading with each other, so it makes sense that the Packers would go back to that well again.

1 minute ago, ajdodge09 said:

How would you guys feel about Dotson at 28? I know he doesn't have the ceiling of a Watson or Pickens but he's fairly polished and I feel like he could come in and make an immediate impact. 

Fairly likely you're going to end up with Cobb, Rodgers and Dotson fighting for snaps in the slot because none of them can beat press. If you're taking Dotson at 28, it's because you think he can play all 3 spots, I just haven't seen him beat press on tape to feel comfortable with that. No tape that shows me he can block at this level either.

That being said, he catches everything, attacks the ball and runs really nice routes. Certainly a useful player, I just don't think he's our fit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ajdodge09 said:

How would you guys feel about Dotson at 28? I know he doesn't have the ceiling of a Watson or Pickens but he's fairly polished and I feel like he could come in and make an immediate impact. 

The Packers will have no interest in Dotson because he doesn't fit what they are trying to do on offense. But 28 is too high for any team for Dotson, he is a player that a team will need to scheme the offense for him to just get off the line of scrimmage. Fans love his highlight catch reel, but the reason he has to make those type catches is because he can't get open in man coverage and that won't work at the NFL level.    

Zach Kruse -  Packers pre-draft top 30 visits tracked:

OLB Sam Williams
WR Treylon Burks
WR Tyquan Thornton
WR George Pickens
WR Velus Jones Jr.
DL Eric Johnson
S Tariq Carpenter
WR Samori Toure
DL Devonte Wyatt
OT Abraham Lucas
WR Christian Watson
OT Luke Goedeke
Maybe CB Gregory Junior?

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That being said, he catches everything, attacks the ball and runs really nice routes. Certainly a useful player, I just don't think he's our fit. 

Agreed.  If we had our boundary WRs, I'd be happy with Dotson.