2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Where does this notion that Karlaftis is a bad athlete coming from?  I see it all the time, and I'm not sure what people are watching.

Watching him play I did not see a guy who had a great get off or a guy who jumped off the screen to me athletically. Solid, very good player, but I'm not seeing freak athlete. Ryan Kerrigan was who came to mind when I watched him. Another Boilermaker and not a bad player by any means. 

I think that is why you are seeing Ojabo starting to get ranked ahead of him by a lot of people. I'm not sold on Ojabo as a finished product. He's not great against the run and needs a lot of work. I'd say, more productive than Gary, but a very raw talent. Karlaftis probably comes in and plays day 1.

The guy who did jump off the screen to me watching Purdue was David Bell. I'd love to get him to take over for Adams if he leaves. 

Edited by Old Guy

10 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Suggesting that "rushing the passer" is a single skill while "throwing the football" needs to be broken down into multiple traits seems more than a little arbitrary to me.

Think of a guy like BJ Coleman who was a 3rd stringer for us. He could absolutely make every NFL throw but he couldn't read defenses and was a statue who had no pocket awareness. He was a bum, out of the league in a heartbeat. and barely remembered. Now think of a guy like Cullen Jenkins who could get after the QB but was an absolute matador in the run game. Long career and fan favorite. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Watching him play I did not see a guy who had a great get off or a guy who jumped off the screen to me athletically. Solid, very good player, but I'm not seeing freak athlete. Ryan Kerrigan was who came to mind when I watched him. Another Boilermaker and not a bad player by any means. 

I think that is why you are seeing Ojabo starting to get ranked ahead of him by a lot of people. I'm not sold on Ojabo as a finished product. He's not great against the run and needs a lot of work. I'd say, more productive than Gary, but a very raw talent. Karlaftis probably comes in and plays day 1.

The guy who did jump off the screen to me watching Purdue was David Bell. I'd love to get him to take over for Adams if he leaves. 

If I think I'm getting Ryan Kerrigan by selecting George Karlaftis, I'm absolutely using a top 15 pick on him.  Hell, I'm tripping over my own feet turning in that player card if he's on the board at 28.  And the notion that Ryan Kerrigan wasn't a good athlete needs to die.  He was average in the 20 yard shuttle and vertical jump, but he tested in the 80%+ percentile among pass rushers.

We're getting into that part of the year where we get into prospect fatigue.  George Karlaftis was viewed as a potential top 10 pick going into the season.  We get all fixated in what happened most recently, and Ojabo's production was greater then that of Karlaftis', but we don't look at context.  Ojabo was largely playing opposite of Aidan Hutchinson's monster season.  Who was the #2 pass rusher opposite of Karlaftis?  Karlaftis fits the exact mold of what Green Bay wants out of our pass rushers, but because he's not an elite athlete we're going to overlook him?  Mind boggling.

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If I think I'm getting Ryan Kerrigan by selecting George Karlaftis, I'm absolutely using a top 15 pick on him.  Hell, I'm tripping over my own feet turning in that player card if he's on the board at 28.  And the notion that Ryan Kerrigan wasn't a good athlete needs to die.  He was average in the 20 yard shuttle and vertical jump, but he tested in the 80%+ percentile among pass rushers.

We're getting into that part of the year where we get into prospect fatigue.  George Karlaftis was viewed as a potential top 10 pick going into the season.  We get all fixated in what happened most recently, and Ojabo's production was greater then that of Karlaftis', but we don't look at context.  Ojabo was largely playing opposite of Aidan Hutchinson's monster season.  Who was the #2 pass rusher opposite of Karlaftis?  Karlaftis fits the exact mold of what Green Bay wants out of our pass rushers, but because he's not an elite athlete we're going to overlook him?  Mind boggling.

I never said I was overlooking him. I never said I didn't want him. I never said I'd pass on him if he were there at 28. Ojabo is going to test better than Karlaftis in everything but the bench. He's just a better athlete. I'd absolutely turn the card in for Karlaftis if he were there at 28. He won't be but I'm not certain he's drafted in the top 10 either. 

If I'm right about Ojabo's testing, he's going to be drafted very, very high. He's an unfinished product. Karlaftis will play day one for the team that drafts him. 

Ryan Kerrigan was a very good football player, but he was not elite. Played the run well and he rushed the passer well. The two stats you pointed out he was average in disqualify him from being an elite athlete. I know you said good athlete and do not believe anyone disputed that point. He wasn't an elite athlete, and neither is Karlaftis. 

11 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Leal is a guy to keep an eye on. A lot of people split on him. Draft Network has him #16 overall. Pro Football Network has him #41. I think he's at least an upgrade over Dean Lowry (who was pretty good). Is he more than that? 

He's nowhere near big and stout enough to play the run the way Lowry is right now. I love this guy, but he's probably an EDGE guy on run downs you slide inside to rush the passer on passing downs. Not sure he's going to be able to transition to EDGE though and that is why he's sliding down boards. 

He's probably a situational player to start his career. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I never said I was overlooking him. I never said I didn't want him. I never said I'd pass on him if he were there at 28. Ojabo is going to test better than Karlaftis in everything but the bench. He's just a better athlete. I'd absolutely turn the card in for Karlaftis if he were there at 28. He won't be but I'm not certain he's drafted in the top 10 either. 

If I'm right about Ojabo's testing, he's going to be drafted very, very high. He's an unfinished product. Karlaftis will play day one for the team that drafts him. 

Ojabo is starting to get into that overrated category for me.  I don't think he's this freak athlete that you seem to make him out to be.  Obviously, it's anything but official there's an article by PFN that has him listed as running a 4.75 40 yard and a 33.3" vertical at 233 pounds.  There's another article by SI that has Karlaftis listed at 4.69 40 yard dash and a 37" vertical.  For someone you believe is a far twitchier athlete, what Karlaftis does at nearly 30 pounds heavier is far more impressive.  We will get official numbers in a few weeks, but don't be surprised if Karlaftis tests particularly well.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Ryan Kerrigan was a very good football player, but he was not elite. Played the run well and he rushed the passer well. The two stats you pointed out he was average in disqualify him from being an elite athlete. I know you said good athlete and do not believe anyone disputed that point. He wasn't an elite athlete, and neither is Karlaftis. 

I mean, how many truly elite pass rushers come out in a given draft?  You're going to draft more whiffs then hits if you're solely looking for Myles Garrett or Von Miller when it comes to pass rush prospects.  Would I love a Von Miller or Myles Garrett on defense?  Absolutely.  Am I willing to risk that it's far more likely someone like Clelin Ferrell?  Absolutely not.  LIS, I think you (and others) are sleeping his athleticism.

45 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Ojabo is starting to get into that overrated category for me.  I don't think he's this freak athlete that you seem to make him out to be.  Obviously, it's anything but official there's an article by PFN that has him listed as running a 4.75 40 yard and a 33.3" vertical at 233 pounds.  There's another article by SI that has Karlaftis listed at 4.69 40 yard dash and a 37" vertical.  For someone you believe is a far twitchier athlete, what Karlaftis does at nearly 30 pounds heavier is far more impressive.  We will get official numbers in a few weeks, but don't be surprised if Karlaftis tests particularly well.

Michigan Football's Biggest Breakout Candidates: Offense & Defense - Sports Illustrated Michigan Wolverines News, Analysis and More

The dude ran a 10.93 100-meter dash. I don't think he's a 4.75 but we shall see. By the way, I think Ojabo is overrated where he is currently ranked and a boom or bust type of guy. Not somebody I would take a shot at #9 if we had Denver's pick. Would I take a flyer on the guy at 28 if he were still there, absolutely.

19 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Leal is a guy to keep an eye on. A lot of people split on him. Draft Network has him #16 overall. Pro Football Network has him #41. I think he's at least an upgrade over Dean Lowry (who was pretty good). Is he more than that? 

The guy that was doing very nicely at the Senior Bowl week was Oklahoma's Perrion Winfrey (6'4", 297). He'd make a very nice penetrating 5 Tech DE. TheDraftNetwork has him at #39 at the moment but his stock must be rising.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The guy that was doing very nicely at the Senior Bowl week was Oklahoma's Perrion Winfrey (6'4", 297). He'd make a very nice penetrating 5 Tech DE. TheDraftNetwork has him at #39 at the moment but his stock must be rising.

Would very much like him if nobody major has slipped down the board to 28. Been dying to see us strengthen our DL for a few years now. 

• Like 1

After watching the last 2 super bowls

• 2021 LAR  DL (mainly Aaron Donald) dominating an overmatched Cincy OL
  • 2020 Tampa Bay DL feasting on the depleted OL of GB and KC

feels like GB needs to make the investment into upgrades at the DL positions.  

certainly unknown who will be back with GB for 2022, but we do know that Clark and Gary will be there for sure.   Lowry had a really nice year, and Preston Smith had a solid (odd year Preston Smith type) season.  

Certainly GB is not going to have a shot at the elite tier of EDGE/DL players in Hutchinson, Thibadeaux.

maybe GB can get lucky and 1 of the 2nd tier type EDGE/DL players is within trade up distance: 
George Karlaftis, David Ojabo, Trevon Walker, Jermaine Johnson, DeMarvin Leal

I think the next tier of EDGE/DL players might warrant a double dip to really boost the defense.   
Devonte Wyatt, Perrion Winfrey, Phidarian Mathis, Logan Hall, Myjai Sanders, Drake Jackson, Cameron Thomas

• Like 2

On 2/13/2022 at 9:01 AM, Old Guy said:

He's nowhere near big and stout enough to play the run the way Lowry is right now. I love this guy, but he's probably an EDGE guy on run downs you slide inside to rush the passer on passing downs. Not sure he's going to be able to transition to EDGE though and that is why he's sliding down boards. 

He's probably a situational player to start his career. 

Think he’s a 5T