2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

17 hours ago, R T said:

... Watson has age and drop passes working against him. ...

I have no idea whether Watson scores well scouting-wise. Drops, routes, sink-his-hips, stop-and-go quickness, etc., I have no idea.  For all I know he might be kinda like MVS and EQ, guys with variably good speed but lacking in cutting ability.  

But I'd be a little hesitant to factor in age. 

1. When an SEC or Ohio State guy isn't ready to come out at age 21, that's a red or yellow flag.  But those guys all had full Covid seasons and plenty of opportunities to both develop and to flash.  If a guy isn't 2nd-round worthy after his age-21 season, he's had plenty of opportunity to have developed and to have shown his worthiness.
  2. But the Missouri Valley Conference had no Covid-Fall season, and played a single game in the spring.  (A game in which Trey Lance had as many carries as completions.). So Watson had very little opportunity to either develop or to manifest his worthiness.    

I don't know the player at all.  Whether he's quick, coordinated, instinctive, a contested-catch winner, I have no idea.  I do know that NDSU has really good coaching, and that being a serious blocking cog in the running machine, rather than a diva who's always thought he was too great to bother with blocking, that will not be a Watson issue.  I'm not advocating for him, just thinking that I wouldn't really dock his evaluation for being 22.  

4 minutes ago, craig said:

I have no idea whether Watson scores well scouting-wise. Drops, routes, sink-his-hips, stop-and-go quickness, etc., I have no idea.  For all I know he might be kinda like MVS and EQ, guys with variably good speed but lacking in cutting ability.  

But I'd be a little hesitant to factor in age. 

1. When an SEC or Ohio State guy isn't ready to come out at age 21, that's a red or yellow flag.  But those guys all had full Covid seasons and plenty of opportunities to both develop and to flash.  If a guy isn't 2nd-round worthy after his age-21 season, he's had plenty of opportunity to have developed and to have shown his worthiness.
  2. But the Missouri Valley Conference had no Covid-Fall season, and played a single game in the spring.  (A game in which Trey Lance had as many carries as completions.). So Watson had very little opportunity to either develop or to manifest his worthiness.    

I don't know the player at all.  Whether he's quick, coordinated, instinctive, a contested-catch winner, I have no idea.  I do know that NDSU has really good coaching, and that being a serious blocking cog in the running machine, rather than a diva who's always thought he was too great to bother with blocking, that will not be a Watson issue.  I'm not advocating for him, just thinking that I wouldn't really dock his evaluation for being 22.  

He will be 23 on May 12th. That is not the death nail for him by any means, but when they are weighing the +/- of each WR that is not a plus compared to a WR that is still 20 (London) or 21. 

5 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Again… I wonder if they would given the injury. It makes sense from a team building stand point(if you believe Williams is the best in this draft).

But at what point does the Rodgers window affect this? Or does it at all?

1 hour ago, R T said:

I kind of get it, but I have a major problem with it as well.  I like looking at PFR's career value number, on individual players.  I just don't think it is a great way to measure a team's success.

No doubt the Seattle 2012 class was great.  But take that away, and the value for Seattle is negative on the other seasons measured.  Do they consistently pull gems?  Or did they get a franchise QB in the third round?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Again… I wonder if they would given the injury. It makes sense from a team building stand point(if you believe Williams is the best in this draft).

But at what point does the Rodgers window affect this? Or does it at all?

4 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree 100%.  If they move up for a WR, I think he's the guy.  

I would like him but I wasn’t really posting for the guys opinion of who they are trading up for.

More so the Fowler report that GB  may trade up. it’s likely noise as GB is always examining trade up/back but still interesting to see

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Kyle Fellows -   The (realistic) dream @ 22

Olave
Dax Hill
Karlaftis

The Dream @ 28
Pickens
Mafe
Cine

Of those Karlaftis and then Pickens.  If Karlaftis not there Olave then Mafe.

Of those.

• Like 2