2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

I wonder if John Schneider is so low because of “Pete”. Brian, Reggie and Dorsey are in a nice little cluster together to illustrate the “Wolf/Ted” method very well.

Schneider is the weird outlier… and I wonder if that’s more Pete than anything.

2 hours ago, R T said:

You might want to start getting comfortable with 4 picks over days 1 and 2, the likelihood of a trade up is fairly high.   

RT, in life and in sports hopefulness, I tend to be comfortable with lots of stuff!  I'm also respectful of the diligence and logic of  Packers scouting.  So if they make a move, I'll listen to understand why, and hope that it works out great.  (I'm also very comfortable with blending Love into a tradeup, were that to actually happen.). 

Normally I tend to love trades.  The default is to NOT trade, of course.  So, any trade is a deviation from default and implies the expectation that you're improving value, else they'd not have done it.  A trade-up is always fun because it means the Packers scouting really likes a guy as being a good fit for us; you don't trade up unless you believe in the guy.  So if they trade up, I'll assume they love the guy and I'll be fired up.  You also don't trade down unless you think you think it's advantageous:  get as good of a player per your internal scouting (no loss), which adding a pick later.  

So I like trades.  And of course as has been mentioned repeatedly, 3rd round is bustville for Gute, so sacrificing a late 3rd to get a guy they like is easily justified.  I'm just saying that objectively speaking, all-else equal, I'm inclined toward a volume of top-60 picks given the nature of our roster moving forward. 

• Like 1

Tradeups for Matthews and Jaire were good successes.  I think the Derwin James trade down was successful.  Tradedown for Jordy obviously was good. 

Watt tradedown for Kevin King and Biegel didn't work that well.  Tradeup for Spriggs didn't work great either, and I'm guessing the Amari tradeup might not end up looking super successful.  

You win some, you lose some. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

This totally reminds me of a GB/Scout who is trying to drive down the market so they can draft him.

I think Wolf tried it with some tackle who ended up in Atlanta, and became very good.  I think Wolf was driving the rumor that he was blind in one eye or something like that.

Maybe it was Whitfield?  (Going back a lot of years)

4 hours ago, Chili said:

If you click on the article link in the tweet you will find they do indeed link the Packers to Zion.

In terms of measurables Zion fits the Packers OL thresholds but he is quite a bit shorter for a typical LaFleur OL at 6'2.5".

For that reason alone I would be very surprised if we draft him in the first round.

I find height to be almost completely irrelevant at OL. PFF's analytics expert noted that their is no correlation between height and NFL success at OL. Arm length is important for OTs and weight has slight importance at IOL. Zion's 34" arms more than meets the threshold. That's the thing about Zion. He's versatile. He can play in a power or zone scheme. I gave Zion an above average grade in every trait (e.g. POA, move blocking, anchor, pass sets, mirror, hands, balance, and smarts). I think he is similar to Elgton--minus 2" in height. Elgton also had 34" arms. Zion actually beat Elgton in every test except 40 time (and Zion had a faster 10yd split).

I'd be more interested in trading out of the first into the top of the 2nd and picking up draft capital over trading up from our first pick. After trading down out of the first we could trade up from one of those 2nd round picks. The sweet spot in this draft for a lot of players that I like for the Packers is in that late 1st/early 2nd range (Travis Jones, Christian Watson, George Pickens. maybe Alec Pierce, Daxton Hill, Jalen Pitre, Lewis Cine, Boye Mafe, Arnold Ebiketie, Drake Jackson, maybe Abraham Lucas).

Edited by TheEagle

6 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

I find height to be almost completely irrelevant at OL. PFF's analytics expert noted that their is no correlation between height and NFL success at OL. Arm length is important for OTs and weight has slight importance at IOL. Zion's 34" arms more than meets the threshold. That's the thing about Zion. He's versatile. He can play in a power or zone scheme. I gave Zion an above average grade in every trait (e.g. POA, move blocking, anchor, pass sets, mirror, hands, balance, and smarts). I think he is similar to Elgton--minus 2" in height. Elgton also had 34" arms. Zion actually beat Elgton in every test except 40 time (and Zion had a faster 10yd split).

Jenkins was a mid-second round pick also, positional value matters. In the past 53 years the Packers have drafted 2 players that played IOL for them that were picked in the 1st round, and both played tackle in college. 1968 is the last time the Packers drafted a college G/C in the first round. Add in that IOL one of the least pressing wants on the team and the whole Zion becomes a little bit of a silly conversation.   

Andy Herman -  Brian Gutekunst reiterates that their focus on the draft is a long-term decision not a short-term decision. It doesn't sound like even with a potential 1-3 year Aaron Rodgers window remaining that the Packers are willing to change their philosophy on drafting.

@beekay414

2 hours ago, Green19 said:

I wonder if John Schneider is so low because of “Pete”. Brian, Reggie and Dorsey are in a nice little cluster together to illustrate the “Wolf/Ted” method very well.

Schneider is the weird outlier… and I wonder if that’s more Pete than anything.

Looking at that it is quite interesting that another team that I view in a simialr light to Green Bay in terms of draft and develop, with a good history is Baltimore and Ozzie is almost opposite to Gute, on the lower end of RAS and the higher end of age. Still he has done very well. Just adds to the affirmation that there is no real science to picking talent, too many vairables at play.

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -  Brian Gutekunst reiterates that their focus on the draft is a long-term decision not a short-term decision. It doesn't sound like even with a potential 1-3 year Aaron Rodgers window remaining that the Packers are willing to change their philosophy on drafting.

@beekay414

Smokescreen. This time next week Gute will be posing in a wedding dress with Drake London as the ghost of all our draft capital dances on Ted's grave.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Leader said:

@beekay414

.......and every pick will just happen to be the highest guy on their board. GM speak at it's finest