2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

21 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I think it’s likely for Gute to pass on the WRs… none are slam dunks as far as measurables that they typically look for…. Each has their lacking trait. Olave and London feel like the only ones they would take unless they have someone ranked higher compared to the rest of the internet (Pickens and Watson come to mind).

But the Edge from Minnesota has crazy measurements and looks like a Packers pick.  As well as I’m sure there are some oline guys they like in that area, as well as some of the secondary options.

Yah wouldn't exactly say likely.  He'll draft WR's no doubt we just don't know where.  Quite possible he has some guys he really likes that are not on our radar.  We are kinda desperate here.  We'll be grabbing at least one in the first two rounds. 

MVS is no slam dunk to come back either.  He's been inconsistent and really hasn't improved his game in the 4 years he's been here.  Gute may decide to use the money elsewhere and draft a speed guy instead.  

Would love to land either Dotson or Olave.  Playmakers that can create space.  Get the prototypical MLF guy to round it out.  Pickens or Pierce types.  Later on grab a KR/PR who can also play slot give Amari some competition.  

This is assuming Gute doesn't pull off a trade or sign any FA's.  

What he does with the WR room is what I am interested in the most this offseason. 

Only WR roster locks are Lazard and Cobb.  Amari is a probable.  Leaves 3-4 spots for adds. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

Amari Rodgers is the only WR we've drafted in three seasons and he doesn't fit the "Packers mold" for WRs. I think it's fair to stop ruling out potential impact players because they don't fit the model of what we used to draft ten years ago.

It's doubtful that any of the top 4 offensive linemen make it to 22, and a lot of the mock drafts lately show an early run on EDGE. Maybe one falls to us but Ojabo getting hurt makes that harder. WR seems to be shaping up as the marriage between need and value.

And Amari was a 3rd rounder… now show me a 1st rounder that doesn’t hit 9/10 or 10/10 on their models.

There are plenty of guys that don’t perfectly fit their models… you can look at a lot of their later round picks. The only recent 1st rounder is Alexander and the trait he didn’t have was height and he was just under the threshold. Gute was questioned about and he said that it came down to the player themselves and they felt really good about Alexander the player so being an inch too short didn’t matter.

Not saying it doesn’t happen… it’s does. But what round… who is on the board… etc. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Green19 said:

And Amari was a 3rd rounder… now show me a 1st rounder that doesn’t hit 9/10 or 10/10 on their models.

There are plenty of guys that don’t perfectly fit their models… you can look at a lot of their later round picks. The only recent 1st rounder is Alexander and the trait he didn’t have was height and he was just under the threshold. Gute was questioned about and he said that it came down to the player themselves and they felt really good about Alexander the player so being an inch too short didn’t matter.

Not saying it doesn’t happen… it’s does. But what round… who is on the board… etc. 

They still have their guidelines. Thinking Gutes isn't as rigid with them as maybe TT and Ron Wolf were, but they are still in place. 

My guess is unless all of the top WR's (London, Olave, Wilson, Burks, etc.) are taken prior to pick #22, Gute would take one of those WR at pick #22. 

But pick #28 has me wondering....a rising prospect whom I like is OL TYLER SMITH, Tulsa. He played LT for them. Not just a mauler, he's also athletic, quick to the 2nd level. Yes, he is currently projected to go mid 2nd round. But I think if he gets good coaching, cleans up technique, he could play RT very well in time. If that fails, you move him to OG. 

Edited by DWhitehurst

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

I'm not questioning the existence of positional guidelines...I'd just point out that it's not impossible that Gute has evaluated things a bit differently at WR since MLF got there running this offense. Different needs for a different playbook.  And we haven't had enough recent history to know what they are.

I'd just expect to have a GM who can adapt his approach over the years and possess nuance with the types of players targeted at each position.

9 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I'm pretty confident by now that Rodgers isn't the true GM because if he was, Love would have been dealt for a conditional 7th rounder by now. 

He knows he's not a menace, so keeping him makes sense for him. If we trade him and Willis/Ridder are available at pick 22 maybe Gute can't help himself.

10 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Purple Drank...whatever that is.  Jolly was a fan fav.  

https://www.sportscasting.com/johnny-jollys-drug-addiction-cost-him-his-nfl-career-and-his-freedom/

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/7053668/johnny-jolly-green-bay-packers-arrested-another-drug-charge

Nothing about dealing it he was an addict.  

Hell Favre was addicted to Vicodin.  

Sexual assault and rape well that's another thing entirely.  Why I was shocked to see teams lining up to sign Watson.  Didn't even bother to wait until his legal issues were settled.  You proved your point.  You were right and I was wrong about Watson.  Packers would never have made that move though.  They wouldn't ever take a guy who is accused of rape ether. 

Aren't people still innocent until proven guilty? Why do you think Watson was not suspended by the league last year? 

Accusing someone of a crime is one thing, proving it is a whole other matter. 

I have no idea if Watson did or didn't do the things he accused of. You are saying based on the sheer volume of women coming forward makes him guilty. 

Anderson it's one woman who fell asleep or passed out, I believe in his bed. No idea what happened between them and if it was consensual or not. Neither do you. The fact the prosecutors won't set a trail date is a problem. The accused have a right to a speedy trail. If they can't make the case, he walks. 

On March 25, 2011, Jolly was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute after police allegedly found 600 grams of codeine in his vehicle. In addition, he was caught driving a car with a suspended license.

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Aren't people still innocent until proven guilty? Why do you think Watson was not suspended by the league last year? 

Accusing someone of a crime is one thing, proving it is a whole other matter. 

I have no idea if Watson did or didn't do the things he accused of. You are saying based on the sheer volume of women coming forward makes him guilty. 

Anderson it's one woman who fell asleep or passed out, I believe in his bed. No idea what happened between them and if it was consensual or not. Neither do you. The fact the prosecutors won't set a trail date is a problem. The accused have a right to a speedy trail. If they can't make the case, he walks. 

On March 25, 2011, Jolly was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute after police allegedly found 600 grams of codeine in his vehicle. In addition, he was caught driving a car with a suspended license.

Why do we keep bringing this up? The Packers aren't going to touch this dude until that trial would be completely resolved. 

Sure there are cases like Cepheus out there, but those are not the norm. Odds are slim anyone touches this guy.

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why do we keep bringing this up? The Packers aren't going to touch this dude until that trial would be completely resolved. 

Sure there are cases like Cepheus out there, but those are not the norm. Odds are slim anyone touches this guy.

Well, the article I posted where his lawyer asked for a dismissal because the prosecutors refuse to set a trial date seems to make it relevant. 

This very well may be solved prior to the draft and since this is the draft threat, it seems like legitimate discussion. 

This very much seems to be on topic. You have one thread going where people are discussing if Minnesota is west of Wisconsin. So, I'm not seeing the problem here?

Edited by Old Guy

13 hours ago, Scoremore said:

...What do you do if Davis and Olave are both available at #22?  

As Ron Wolf would say if you are truly conflicted between players, go with the DLine.

I'll be interested in how Gute uses those first 4 picks.  Will he use them as a quick fix for need positions, or does he look at them as hardening some of the staple positions long term, or a combination of both.

Edited by NFLGURU

As much as I like these guys, I think you can safely take them off the board for the Packers, in the 1st round at least...

Jermaine Johnson (24 in January)
Boye Mafe (24 in November)
Devonte Wyatt (24 in 8 days)
Bernhard Raimann (25 in September)
Devin Lloyd (not sure how old he is but he's been at Utah since 2017 so he's probably 23/24)

Not sure how often we take guys that are 23 as rookies but...

Trevor Penning (23 in May)
Jalen Pitre (23 in June) - though I like him a lot, he's probably more in the 53/59 spot, if at all.
Nik Bonitto (23 in September)
Jaquan Brisker (23 in April)
Travis Jones (23 in October)

Edited by beekay414

Some obvious thoughts, all obvious:

1. Gute isn't going to camp with Cobb, Lazard, Amari, 3rd-day picks, and PS/UDFA's.  He's going to add in some more costly ways.  Duh.
  2. Gute tries to avoid urgent needs that get in the way of BPA drafting.  He's done that very well already.  WR is perhaps the only super-urgent spot, thus all the discussion; but we all expect he'll add somebody, MVS-caliber or perhaps better.
  3. His draft picks have often factored need (both short-term and long.). They needed a safety, they drafted Savage.  Needed corner, drafted Jaire.  Needed center, drafted Myers.  Needed TE, drafted Jace.  Needed a coverage LB, drafted Burks.  
  4. In those cases BPA was not violated; they drafted guys who had the talent to merit where they were taken.  
  5. BPA doesn't always meet need.  In those cases, Gute goes BPA and lets needs slide.  I think that's partly why DL is where it is, likewise WR.  
  6. BPA and need can be made to match via trade, and Gute has been very active in making that happen.  He traded to get to Jaire.  He traded for Savage.  He traded for Love.  He also traded for Amari and for Burks.  
  7. Gute uses perceived-BPA, not retrospective or omniscient BPA.  He perceived that Burks and Jace were BPA.  Oops!  He perceived that Amari and Love were BPA; perhaps those may prove "oops".  But even in the "oops", I don't think perceived-BPA principles were violated.   
  • Like 2