53 Man Roster Predictions - Cutdown day pg5

43 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

If our OL plays like they can, we’re going to be at least middle of the road offensively. Maybe top 10-12. Defensively we have some things to figure out. It really hinges on our pass rush. Which I just don’t see being good. 

Ya if the offense can stay healthy, we should have a solid OL and tons of speed everywhere. Hurts has 0 excuses to not at least look competent.

I expect the D to be one of the worst in the league. Gannon has been some pitiful talent outside of a few players. Our LB and DB's will rank towards the bottom of the league and our pass rushers are just mediocre. If Gannon can make this group look just competent I will be WILDLY impressed. I am excited to see more blitzing and creativity though... just anything other than line up, zero disguise defense that just tries to beat you one on one.

5 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Why don't you see the pass rush being good?

I don’t like Barnett really at all. I actually do like Sweat but will he get enough snaps? He should be getting them over DB. BG is another year older. I don’t see him keeping up a strong pace all year. Still like Cox but don’t expect him to be as dominate as he’s been in years passed. I’m optimistic about Hargrave but until I’ve seen it, I’ll doubt it. There’s just too many questions. We rely too much on pocket collapse. And there’s times where the DTs, even really good ones, just get neutralized. Just don’t see enough to be excited about. I think they’ll be average at best. And our secondary is going to need them to be good at least. It’s going to lead to a defensive blowup. Bye BG, Fletch, Slay, etc. 

4 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

I don’t like Barnett really at all. I actually do like Sweat but will he get enough snaps? He should be getting them over DB. BG is another year older. I don’t see him keeping up a strong pace all year. Still like Cox but don’t expect him to be as dominate as he’s been in years passed. I’m optimistic about Hargrave but until I’ve seen it, I’ll doubt it. There’s just too many questions. We rely too much on pocket collapse. And there’s times where the DTs, even really good ones, just get neutralized. Just don’t see enough to be excited about. I think they’ll be average at best. And our secondary is going to need them to be good at least. It’s going to lead to a defensive blowup. Bye BG, Fletch, Slay, etc. 

Really just depends how Cox and Graham hold up. If they decline because of age this season then the pass rush is in trouble. If they still play at a fairly high level then it could be towards the best in the league. Hargrave finished last season really strong, Sweat keeps getting better, then hopefully a rookie or two can add some solid play. Actually blitzing could make the group look better this year too. 

11 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

This seems more like a worst case scenario than anything. I think the trio of DB, BG and Sweat is very solid. And the DT group got better this off season by investing draft capital there as well as having Ridgeway back. Remember this defense was third in the league in sacks last year. Then you gotta factor in the new defense we're going to run with the line games we're expected to play, and also the pre and post snap disguise Gannon will employ should lead to the QB holding onto the ball a tad longer in theory.

3 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

This seems more like a worst case scenario than anything. I think the trio of DB, BG and Sweat is very solid. And the DT group got better this off season by investing draft capital there as well as having Ridgeway back. Remember this defense was third in the league in sacks last year. Then you gotta factor in the new defense we're going to run with the line games we're expected to play, and also the pre and post snap disguise Gannon will employ should lead to the QB holding onto the ball a tad longer in theory.

I know a lot of folks are really high on Gannon but I think we need to temper expectations for someone who has never called played and has really only been a position coach for 3 seasons. 

34 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

I know a lot of folks are really high on Gannon but I think we need to temper expectations for someone who has never called played and has really only been a position coach for 3 seasons. 

I'm just excited because it's not Doug and Jim, nowehere ot go but up.

12 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'm just excited because it's not Doug and Jim, nowehere ot go but up.

That's fair. I'm also excited to have some new faces running the show but I think some of the expectations for Gannon and his defense are unrealistic. 

5 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

That's fair. I'm also excited to have some new faces running the show but I think some of the expectations for Gannon and his defense are unrealistic. 

Especially with DB's and LB's we gave him. If he can make this defense not look completely awful that is a win.

3 hours ago, Scalamania said:

Hearing that we'll be disguising and running line games are reasons alone to be excited.

16 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Hearing that we'll be disguising and running line games are reasons alone to be excited.

I hope so much that that is the case. It was so annoying to see a LB or DB show blitz and show the back end coverage with too much time on the playclock. The opposing QB/coach were able to get out of good plays all the time.  Any coverage/blitz disguising, d-line stunting, exotic blitzes/zone blitzes and multiple front looks would all be a nice change of pace. 

• 5 weeks later...

QB- Hurts/Flacco (2)

RB- Sanders/Johnson/Gainwell/Scott (6)

WR- D. Smith/Reagor/Fulgham/Ward/Watkins/Hightower (12)

TE- Goedart/Stoll/Wilson (15)

OL- Mailata/Seumalo/Kelce/Brooks/Johnson/Dillard/Herbig/Dickerson/Driscoll/Clark (25)

EDGE- Graham/Barnett/Sweat/Kerrigan/Jackson (30)

DT- Cox/Hargrave/Williams/Ridgeway/Tuipulotu (35)

LB- Wilson/Singleton/Taylor/Stevens/Edwards (40)

CB- Slay/Maddox/McPherson/Scott/Seymour (45)

S- Harris/McLeod/Wallace/Epps/Adams (50)

K- Elliott (51)

P- Siposs (52)

LS- Lavato (53)

Wow the Eagles really need to sign a CB, LB and TE still.......

QB: Jalen Hurts | Joe Flacco  (2)
RB: Miles Sanders | Kerryon Johnson | Kenny Gainwell | Boston Scott (6)
WR: DeVonta Smith | Jalen Reagor | Travis Fulgham | Greg Ward | John Hightower | Quez Watkins (12)
TE: Dallas Goedert | Zach Ertz (Richard Rodgers if he's traded/released) | Jack Stoll (15)
LT: Jordan Mailata | Andre Dillard (17)
LG: Isaac Seumalo | Landon Dickerson (19)
Center:  Jason Kelce (20)
RG: Brandon Brooks | Nate Herbig (22)
RT: Lane Johnson | Jack Driscoll (24)

DE: Brandon Graham | Derek Barnett | Josh Sweat | Tarron Jackson (28)
DT: Fletcher Cox | Javon Hargrave | Hassan Ridgeway | Milton Williams | Marlon Tuipulotu (33)
LB: Eric Wilson | Ryan Kerrigan (stand-up rush) | Alex Singleton | T.J. Edwards | Shaun Bradley | Davion Taylor | Patrick Johnson or Genard Avery (stand-up rush) (40)
CB: Darius Slay | Avonte Maddox | Zech McPhearson | Craig James |Not On Roster... Maybe Jacquet or Seymour) 🤨 | Josiah Scott... spent a 6th on him? (46)
S: Rodney McLeod | Anthony Harris| K'Von Wallace | Marcus Epps (50)

K: Jake Elliot (51)
P: Who Cares (52)
LS: Rick Lovato (53)

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
Edited to take off Jamie Newman and replace him with Shaun Bradley

Honestly the offense is way easier to predict than the defense.

Jamie Newman will have to show enough to make the roster, so I'm doing projection here. Interestingly enough we didn't give him a signing bonus or any guaranteed $, but good chance they'll want a 3rd arm and another young QB to try and develop. He's not a lock by any means though. He'll have to show good things in camp and the limited preseason time he might get (only 2 preseason games this year instead of 4 like old times). Feel like most of those preseason snaps should go to Hurts though. Not sure he deserves this kind of projection yet the more I think about it.

Think Jack Stoll probably has the best chance of a UDFA to make the 53. Tyree Jackson might compete for that 3rd TE spot though. He has solid speed and is 6'8" which could make him an interesting red zone target at the very least, but Stoll definitely has the edge with experience at the position and comfortability blocking inline. Unlike Newman who got no signing bonus.. Stoll was one of the two who got the biggest chunk of the 480k given to UDFAs with well over 100k. The other one was Kayode Awosika, but he's more likely to be a practice squad guy just cause of less opportunity with the depth on the OL. He would have to have a really good camp and some injury luck to make one of the final spots. Le'Raven Clark also has more versatility, but he's coming off a torn achilles and wasn't really better than average at best before the injury. He'll probably also be a practice squad candidate with the expanded practice squad rules assuming they are still in place.

Feel pretty good about Johnson making it over Howard as the big back. He took a pay cut and is younger and has more juice and offers just as good pass protection and probably better. 

I left off JaCoby Stevens, but didn't feel great about it cause he has safety/LB versatility, but Epps does have experience in the Vikings scheme which may give him a leg up, but we'll see.

I don't feel good leaving off Shaun Bradley either. His instincts were better last year than Davion Taylor who while very athletic still has a lot of developing to do. Maybe leave off one of the corner spots for right now and throw Bradley in there, but that's a lot of linebackers. It's a hard one to predict before the pads go on.

Really need pads to go on before projecting a lot of the back-ups on the second level of our defense.

But, let's stay on the second level of the defense with another conundrum with the projected stand-up rush LB spot. I don't think both Avery and Johnson will make it. Kerrigan is the obvious stand-up rush LB that is in pen with the contract we gave him and his experience. We definitely aren't keeping 3 potential guys for that spot which is a part-time role. I think I'd lean towards Johnson, because maybe you can put him at DE occasionally like Kerrigan, plus he's younger, cheaper, and under contract 3 years after 2021, whereas Avery is a FA next year.

There isn't gonna be a lot of starter battles besides like Mailata/Dillard and I guess CB2, but there is gonna be a ton of competition at the skill positions and second level of the defense for those final back-up spots.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

2 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

I noticed no one seems to think that Howard makes the roster. I think he makes it. He’s the only real “power” back we have. 

I agree for sure. Kerryon Johnson and Boston Scott will be fighting for a roster spot.