A-Rod's New team (if traded), what can Packers get in trade?

firstplace

8 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

So does anyone here agree with the assertion of some that Rodgers trade price has come down, maybe down as far as Stafford trade levels? I don't know what to think.

No, he will fetch More than any other player in NFL history,

2 young starters, 3 firsts, and 2 day 2 picks...

iffff we trade him before the season,  

if he plays like 2018-2019 for us we’ll get a 2nd...

take advantage of his mvp season NOW...

Edited by fattlipp
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2021 at 12:27 PM, VegasDan said:

I think about owners and not necessarily teams. What would Washington and that owner, Snyder, give up?   Probably more than he is worth.

Chase Young,  Jamin Davis, and next years 1st.

Sure Rodgers probably wont go. Let Snyder worry about that.

And Fitzmagic, he would be awesome for 1 year...

10 hours ago, Joe said:

Which is yet another reason why I absolutely hated the Love pick.

Same here.

Just didn't make sense unless you had an incredible grade on him - basically you thought he was a top 5 player that had fallen to mid 20s and you thought you had an elite QB prospect. 

10 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

Good point but I think that had more to do with the cap than what we would usually do. If we didn't put some money into future years we would have had to release some great players. I think this was necessary rather than for AR and a SB bid. Prudent.

It wasn't though.

We didn't have to sign Aaron Jones and many thought we wouldn't but we did on a low cap hit for 21, medium cap hit in 22 and then dead money in 23. 

We definitely didn't need to sign Mercedes Lewis, we have three decent TEs plus Dafney but we did and  its going to see dead money in the future.

There has been a very clear decision this year to kick as much cap down the road to try and win this year. These decisions don't make sense if you aren't going all out this year - they will make our team worse in 2023.

That's why I wouldn't even consider trading Rodgers and would call his bluff, make him retire if necessary. 

12 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

Timing was not perfect but a top QB prospect fell.......when is the right time. Gute and Ball are sitting around saying ok this is the draft yep this year, we have all the math figured out. And oh dam we're at pick 28 or 30 and dam no QB is falling. You take the pick when it is there when you're in that position

Yep. Seems like people are wanting perfect-situation-or-bust. If you strongly believe in the QB you should pick him. Even if things don’t perfectly work out in a Russell-Wilson fashion (cheap rookie that’s good almost immediately), the fallback option is still great, having over a decade of a good QB, even if he isn’t as cheap. Russell Wilson’s are an anomaly, like Royal-Flush situation. You can’t just spend decades folding every hand because you didn’t get a Royal Flush, or letting strikes go over the plate because it wasn’t a dead-center perfect pitch. Even Wilson’s situation wasn’t perfect since they were paying 6.5m AAV to Matt Flynn, which equates to about $10+m today. Even situations that seem perfectly timed (the Peyton-Manning-to-Andrew-Luck transition) don’t always work out. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Same here.

Just didn't make sense unless you had an incredible grade on him - basically you thought he was a top 5 player that had fallen to mid 20s and you thought you had an elite QB prospect. 

Finally stumbling on to it.

15 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

The problem with that (2) is that you only get four years of a cheap rookie contract. If you spend the first two sitting behind Rodgers and then trade Rodgers in the third year the dead money on Rodgers wipes out another year of the 'Rookie QB contract benefits' so you only get one year benefit of a cheap starting QB.

If you want to go down the rookie contract route then your rookie needs to either start in year one or year two (with no dead money against the previous QB) at the latest.

Not the way a team thinks about it. Draft a rookie QB who starts the first year and they are saving a 100M in cap space for other players over that 4 years, if it's only 2 seasons it is still 50M and a good investment. The lose of the other 50M is also off set by the higher likelihood of continued winning compared to starting a rookie year one. 

15 hours ago, Joe said:

He shot up the board very late in the process and was viewed as a late Day 2/Early Day 3 pick. Again, they made the pick thinking Rodgers would fall off a cliff, get injured again, and/or his numbers would continue to decline.

I get the logic, yes; but we could've done better drafting a year later when we could've gotten a Davis Mills Day 2. 

On the other hand, given that Rodgers didn't receive so much as a phone call in relation to the pick it tells us that Gutey wanted to move off of him ASAP.

Courteney Cox No GIF by Friends

Yeah, it’s a good pick,  Love is close to Lance in value by many accounts..that a 1(3) value we got in the bottom 3rd of the first...maybe if we were all 8n on ARod we should have moved him for a top 15 pick this year, but the pick the year before was a good value pick.

I think they are going to keep Rodgers for 21 and 22 (redo his contract to provide some cap help, give him some guarantees).  Monitor Love's progress and if he can progress , turn it over to Love for his 4th and 5th year.

They want Rodgers legacy in Green Bay.  Not winning Super Bowls in Denver.  Its not a big deal, but at the end of the day its a big deal to them.  The whole legacy bit with the retired number. I think they want that without an ugly divorce.

19 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I think they are going to keep Rodgers for 21 and 22 (redo his contract to provide some cap help, give him some guarantees).  Monitor Love's progress and if he can progress , turn it over to Love for his 4th and 5th year.

They want Rodgers legacy in Green Bay.  Not winning Super Bowls in Denver.  Its not a big deal, but at the end of the day its a big deal to them.  The whole legacy bit with the retired number. I think they want that without an ugly divorce.

Maybe but after last Thursday that ship has sailed.  Aaron Judas Rodgers.  Trade him to the highest bidder and rebuild the team.

20 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

What if Rodgers wants a new contract and reassurance he won't be traded right after 2021 or 2022 season. Working on a deal is positive, and possibly the reports said looks like GB made a substantial (highest?) QB offer.

So really what's the hold up? Logically, its possible he wants a NTC in the contract or some kind of opt-out.

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

What if Rodgers wants a new contract and reassurance he won't be traded right after 2021 or 2022 season. Working on a deal is positive, and possibly the reports said looks like GB made a substantial (highest?) QB offer.

So really what's the hold up? Logically, its possible he wants a NTC in the contract or some kind of opt-out.

I wouldn't give him a NTC or opt out.  If what he wants is to stay in GB for 2 years, I'll do that, but its going to cost him in a reduction in salary.  That 37 and 40 mill over the next 2 years doesn't help.  

The Packers aren't likely going to the SB with that kind of QB cap hit.  They might get close again, but at this point its about buying time for Loves progress.  

Edited by NFLGURU