Broncos T Ja'Wuan James tears Achilles; Released from team

RaidersAreOne

52 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

A proper union would step in and cover any potential hardship / losses that one of their own suffers for staying in line. I'm curious to see how this all ends up playing out, but I do wish the best for the man as this could be devastating not only to his long-term career propects but also financial earnings.

A proper union would have also alerted the players to this kind of situation and had the players consult with agents before costing themselves $20 million. The NFLPA is still terrible for the players and between them and the owners they do the game and fans no favors. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

tenor.gif

If you pay me $50 to mow your lawn, I cut a 5'x5' square in your lawn, and I get $40 from you out of the $50, do you feel you got your money's worth out of me?

The guy is a sally that can't play through a hang nail and used covid as an excuse to not play through the inevitable next hang nail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Because it was a great deal for the guys who will spend 1-3 years in the league, which is more than half the league. 

Owners are smart, they pitted the big guys versus the little ones. Every players' vote counts as 1. If I'm getting a better deal as a UDFA who might make it 2 years, why should I care if my All Pro guys aren't happy with it? It was the 32 Union reps for each team that took it to vote that screwed it up, the owners knew once they get everyone voting, they had won.

but those guys who would spend 1-3 years in the league are the guys who would most benefit from things like rookie minicamp, mandatory minicamp, OTAs, etc

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I think long-term, Glasgow is probably let go in 2022, so DEN can reallocate cap elsewhere - and Meinerz/Risner play G, and Muti is the depth guy (or plays C).   That allows Bolles and ??RT?? play.    It's definitely not ideal to move Risner to T, but unless we get more established talent, our depth at T is non-existent.

I don't see Denver standing pat, because they only have 2 T's they likely feel comfortable playing important snaps - Bolles & Anderson.  Anderson was supposed to be the swing guy, but recognizing his importance with James' injury risk.   I have to believe they will sign a Jason Spriggs, or a Dennis Kelly, even if the idea is that Anderson starts - you can't go into Week 1 without more guys who can play T in live games, it can't be just developmental projects.  It was kinda why I was hoping they'd spend a Rd3-4 pick on a T prospect that was more than a total developmental, PS-stash type UDFA/late Day 3 guy. 

I love your draft but I agree that they should have drafted an OT given James injury history instead of all those DBs.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:
5 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I never understood why they took such a bad deal. They truly need new people running NFLPA. 

Because it was a great deal for the guys who will spend 1-3 years in the league, which is more than half the league. 

Owners are smart, they pitted the big guys versus the little ones. Every players' vote counts as 1. If I'm getting a better deal as a UDFA who might make it 2 years, why should I care if my All Pro guys aren't happy with it? It was the 32 Union reps for each team that took it to vote that screwed it up, the owners knew once they get everyone voting, they had won.

yup.  The new CBA bumped the league minimum by a decent %, and that increase is a big benefit for the back end of the roster players.  

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Unions always cater to the lowest common denominator. Havens for the sick, lame and lazy 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Unions always cater to the lowest common denominator. Havens for the sick, lame and lazy 

getting political up in here.

also catering to the lowest common denominator is based as hell. they're the ones who need the support. star players are always going to be fine, generally speaking, unless they throw away millions. guys who play for 1-2 seasons, dont make it, and then still potentially have life altering medical conditions associated with their years in football could probably use more change though

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 4

A lot of thoughts here:

1. The same guys blaming leadership in the PA are likely the same ones that refuse to go to meetings, refuse to take part of the process, and hit "delete" on every PA and NFL email memo that comes their way, then take to social media to play the blame game

2. Don't sign a 10+ year CBA

3. Realize that the OWNERS don't care about padded practices, helmet time, and off-season voluntary workouts. If you show up on Sundays, they cash in. Players voluntarily forfeiting workout bonuses and incentives for off-season 4 hour a day 4 day a week and 5 week programs are absolutely blowing my mind. Why would YOU ever forfeit a cent? The owners don't care about that.

4. Most of these things that players are demanding/wanting only hurt themselves or the coaches.

...only 9 more years guys. Good work everyone.

• Like 2

I am just shocked Demaurice Smith is still running the show for the Players he has botched both CBAs now and is demanding change after the fact is just awfu. I dont get what JC Tretter is doing if he has any say as President if so he is doing an awful job, covid or not these 2 years have cause more division with in the players then in past years. The fact is the Star players or 1% guys are the ones who have the most say. They are getting paid a ton of money and they have more to lose by showing up to OTAs or minicamps as they risk injury and would rather stay at home in their mansion and go do a work out 1-2 hours a day by their personal trainer then deal with going to the organization away from their family to train and get in the mindset of football. While the rookies who have yet to hit it big and the 99% of the veterans who are fighting to keep their job that make the league minimum need the extra offseason work to prove their worth and to better their game. Players should be able to do what they want without the pressure from Smith/tretter/star players and do whats best for them and their family. Sucks for James but I hope its a wake up call to the other players to get to work at the teams facilities.

Also, people blanketly blaming the union leadership should also remember that the vote came down to a mere 60 votes out of over 2,000 cast. This link shows a lot of the voices at the time:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-cba-vote-players-tracker-yes-no/dqf1q13xwyau1m40illiiattr

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-player-vote-ratifies-new-cba-through-2030-season-0ap3000001106246

For those blaming Tretter, let's look at his statement at the time...essentially it came down to the majority wanting this:

"Our members have spoken and the CBA has been ratified. We pick up a greater share of revenues, make significant gains to minimum salaries and increase our post-career benefits. For players past, this deal reaches back in an unprecedented way to increase pensions, benefits and make resources available to them.

"We understand that not all deals are perfect, and we don't take the gains we wanted, but couldn't get, lightly. We now must unite and move forward as a union. The interest and passion on the issues that our members have voiced in the past several weeks needs to continue. Our job is never done and we all must work together as one team to build for a better future."

• Like 1