Broncos T Ja'Wuan James tears Achilles; Released from team

RaidersAreOne

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

I believe there reasoning is to completely get rid of off-season workouts from what I understand.

I thought it was about compensation for them(off-season workouts)?

Like why show up to something like OTAs, risk injury, and not be receive additional compensation for taking on said risk. That's what I thought their issue was.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

I believe there reasoning is to completely get rid of off-season workouts from what I understand.

Which would have been a legitimate stance. Instead they claimed it was due to lack of adequate Covid protocols.

I can only assume everyone involved is staying quarantined at home then, right?  Right???

• Like 2

Well, Denver getting a G who could likely start week 1 in Meinerz is going to make for an interesting offseason now.    Unless Calvin Anderson is ready to start (seems iffy), I think it's more likely Dalton Risner moves to RT, and either Meinerz (or Muti) starts at G now with Glasgow (and Muti / Meinerz could start if Glasgow needs to kick inside for C Cushenberry, who struggled in his 1st year). 

It's a terrible rule, but Den's FO is likely to apply it - the 10M saved likely helps them get vet T depth help (either a guy like Okung/Leno, but I don't know how well they translate to the RT side), or even they go after a retread vet they are familiar with like Jason Spriggs, or a depth guy like Dennis Kelly.   

James' decision to opt out cost him 9.5M last year....and the off-site location costs him another 10M.   That's gotta hurt - no way he's seeing that kind of coin again.  He missed so many games (and he still made 17.5M in 12M bonus money, 5M 2019 salary and 500K opt-out for 2020 instead of the 10M), Denver fans won't shed a tear, but have to feel bad when anyone misses out on a windfall for flukish reasons.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well, Denver getting a G who could likely start week 1 in Meinerz is going to make for an interesting offseason now.    Unless Calvin Anderson is ready to start (seems iffy), I think it's more likely Dalton Risner moves to RT, and either Meinerz (or Muti) starts at G now with Glasgow (and Muti / Meinerz could start if Glasgow needs to kick inside for C Cushenberry, who struggled in his 1st year). 

It's a terrible rule, but Den's FO is likely to apply it - the 10M saved likely helps them get vet T depth help (either a guy like Okung/Leno, but I don't know how well they translate to the RT side), or even they go after a retread vet they are familiar with like Jason Spriggs, or a depth guy like Dennis Kelly.   

James' decision to opt out cost him 9.5M last year....and the off-site location costs him another 10M.   That's gotta hurt - no way he's seeing that kind of coin again.  He missed so many games (and he still made 17.5M in 12M bonus money, 5M 2019 salary and 500K opt-out for 2020 instead of the 10M), Denver fans won't shed a tear, but have to feel bad when anyone misses out on a windfall for flukish reasons.

19 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I think long-term, Glasgow is probably let go in 2022, so DEN can reallocate cap elsewhere - and Meinerz/Risner play G, and Muti is the depth guy (or plays C).   That allows Bolles and ??RT?? play.    It's definitely not ideal to move Risner to T, but unless we get more established talent, our depth at T is non-existent.

I don't see Denver standing pat, because they only have 2 T's they likely feel comfortable playing important snaps - Bolles & Anderson.  Anderson was supposed to be the swing guy, but recognizing his importance with James' injury risk.   I have to believe they will sign a Jason Spriggs, or a Dennis Kelly, even if the idea is that Anderson starts - you can't go into Week 1 without more guys who can play T in live games, it can't be just developmental projects.  It was kinda why I was hoping they'd spend a Rd3-4 pick on a T prospect that was more than a total developmental, PS-stash type UDFA/late Day 3 guy. 

Edited by Broncofan

20 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

NFLPA just ****ed this man hard with their stupid boycott

A proper union would step in and cover any potential hardship / losses that one of their own suffers for staying in line. I'm curious to see how this all ends up playing out, but I do wish the best for the man as this could be devastating not only to his long-term career propects but also financial earnings.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

I never understood why they took such a bad deal. They truly need new people running NFLPA. 

Because it was a great deal for the guys who will spend 1-3 years in the league, which is more than half the league. 

Owners are smart, they pitted the big guys versus the little ones. Every players' vote counts as 1. If I'm getting a better deal as a UDFA who might make it 2 years, why should I care if my All Pro guys aren't happy with it? It was the 32 Union reps for each team that took it to vote that screwed it up, the owners knew once they get everyone voting, they had won.