Venom: Let There Be Carnage

Kiltman

On 5/15/2021 at 7:26 PM, Shockwave said:

The banter between Eddie and Venom in the 1st one was entertaining. Was hoping this one captured the same chemistry. Not so hopeful after watching that trailer...

I'm hoping they pull the old "in the trailer but not in the movie" thing with that breakfast scene, which looks entirely pointless except for comic relief and it's not funny.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2021 at 9:02 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

The first one wasnt a great movie but I enjoyed watching it.  I will probably enjoy this one as well even though it looks awful. Although I had really low expectations for the first one and they may be slightly too high for the second now because I enjoyed the first one, likely due to the low expectations. 

My thoughts. I'm not amped up about it. But, I liked the first - so figure I'll get to the 2nd when it's on streaming.

I do have a feeling that Woody Harrelson is going to do an awesome job as Cletus Kasady. I'm thinking it'll be like Mickey Knox engulfed in a Symbiote. Which, y'know - that'll be fun.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Okay, so there are elements within this that I think could work well.    This trailer is definitely better than the first, but I really am not liking how Venom is portrayed.   The 'comedy' is painful and over the top.   They are forcing it in and it doesnt work.   The whole Odd Couple dynamic between Eddie and Venom is just embarrassing.

And, the fact that this is going to be rated PG13 again is pretty much a deal breaker for me.   Its almost as bad as a PG13 Mortal Kombat.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 43M said:

Okay, so there are elements within this that I think could work well.    This trailer is definitely better than the first, but I really am not liking how Venom is portrayed.   The 'comedy' is painful and over the top.   They are forcing it in and it doesnt work.   The whole Odd Couple dynamic between Eddie and Venom is just embarrassing.

And, the fact that this is going to be rated PG13 again is pretty much a deal breaker for me.   Its almost as bad as a PG13 Mortal Kombat.

You can't have Carnage and be a PG13 movie. The comedy thing between Eddie and Venom isn't funny. Just think this is going to be another failure from Sony.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, D82 said:

You can't have Carnage and be a PG13 movie. The comedy thing between Eddie and Venom isn't funny. Just think this is going to be another failure from Sony.

Exactly.

It was already bad enough the first Venom was PG13.  

But you add Carnage and still?   

Years ago I wouldve understood a little more, but with the success of other rated R movies in recent years, most notably Deadpool and Logan....this has no excuse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 43M said:

Exactly.

It was already bad enough the first Venom was PG13.  

But you add Carnage and still?   

Years ago I wouldve understood a little more, but with the success of other rated R movies in recent years, most notably Deadpool and Logan....this has no excuse.

Except Carnage at R really only lends itself to gratuity. Deadpool is a comedy, so that makes sense. I dont think the tone and style of Logan and why it was R matches with Carnage well. What would you want to see from an R rated Carnage?

EDIT: Please don't mistake this as defending the garbage flick Sony is about to release. 

5 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Except Carnage at R really only lends itself to gratuity. Deadpool is a comedy, so that makes sense. I dont think the tone and style of Logan and why it was R matches with Carnage well. What would you want to see from an R rated Carnage?

EDIT: Please don't mistake this as defending the garbage flick Sony is about to release. 

Carnage kinda is gratuitous violence though. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

You arent wrong, but like I said, its along the lines of Mortal Kombat.    Venom and especially Carnage are violent characters and you need that R rating to depict it properly.

I feel like R would allow them to make it darker, thus perhaps causing them to step away from the forced, unfunny humor we are seeing.    

Hey they made him actually look red this time! It looks fine, not as much dumb fun as the first. Not stoked about anything that has come out for this.

I find it hilarious that of all the MCU, DC and Sonyverse movies/shows coming out in the next year…this is one of the top ones my GF is totally down to see no matter what. Like the roles are completely flipped from how they usually are.

35 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I find it hilarious that of all the MCU, DC and Sonyverse movies/shows coming out in the next year…this is one of the top ones my GF is totally down to see no matter what. Like the roles are completely flipped from how they usually are.

I take it she's a Tom Hardy fan

Tom Hardy Boom GIF

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 43M said:

You’re right.

They did a fantastic job designing Carnage, but you’re right about his character. He’s the physical embodiment of violence and it’s a PG 13 flick.

Edited by candyman93

11 hours ago, 43M said:

You arent wrong, but like I said, its along the lines of Mortal Kombat.    Venom and especially Carnage are violent characters and you need that R rating to depict it properly.

I feel like R would allow them to make it darker, thus perhaps causing them to step away from the forced, unfunny humor we are seeing.    

Yep, and even bloodless stabbings can't be shown TOO much, little FYI. The Wolverine still had to cut the ninja fight and hide a bunch of other onscreen stabbings to get a PG-13 despite no gore (or rather, all the gore being removed). James Mangold confirmed all of this in the commentary track for the unrated Blu-Ray, which is surprisingly better than the theatrical (still not as good as Logan, though). 

So, yeah, I don't like where I think this is headed. The tongue kill is probably the worst thing he does onscreen in the whole movie, and that's just sad. Add in the cringey humor and MAYBE I'll catch it on streaming.

Edited by KManX89

I'm actually excited for this. 

Is it going to be an oscar worthy movie? No.

Would it be better rated R? Obviously.

Still, that trailer got me hyped to see Venom vs Carnage. Everyone would prefer a darker/more violent movie but that doesn't mean that this one won't be an enjoyable movie (then again, I enjoyed the first one too).